global recession

sedgecl

Hi All

Not sure where I should post this, so thought that I would start here. My Hubby and I have been thinking about migrating to Oz for sometime now, but both wonder if Australia has also been hit badly by the global recession. Your probably wondering why I am asking this, but you never hear much about Australia or New Zealand in the News.

In the UK, my hubby is a Policeman and I have a Hair and Beauty Salon, and I am also an Assessor. Work for both of us is good and the salon at the moment is quite busy. We would also be moving to give our 2 young boys a better life, as feel that they will never be able to afford a house in the U.K, there are also many other reasons to why we wont to move.

Friends and family say that it’s a gamble going to the other side of the world, but everything that you do in life is a gamble. Obviously, we would be giving up a lot to move over seas, but the biggest worry is the financial climate.

Any views would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Sedgecl

Hi we left in November to move back to the UK and at that time We didn't see any evidence of a recession in Australia.However now we are home I have heard from friends that its starting to bite...how bad im unsure I guess I will leave that to the people who live there to fill you in.

I will say however that worring about your kids affording housing will not be eliminated by moving to OZ.... we had to increase our mortgage to afford something decent I was really shocked by house prices over there ....add to that a higher intest rate and monthly charges and I was worried about my kids ever affording housing in the future.

Things are not as bad here as they appear to be in the UK, but unemployment is rising and is predicted to continue to do so. House prices have certainly not dropped here like they have in the UK yet either.

If it is your dream to come then do it! You will always live with regrets if you don't

Rudi

Guest SunshineSmile
Hi All

Not sure where I should post this, so thought that I would start here. My Hubby and I have been thinking about migrating to Oz for sometime now, but both wonder if Australia has also been hit badly by the global recession. Your probably wondering why I am asking this, but you never hear much about Australia or New Zealand in the News.

In the UK, my hubby is a Policeman and I have a Hair and Beauty Salon, and I am also an Assessor. Work for both of us is good and the salon at the moment is quite busy. We would also be moving to give our 2 young boys a better life, as feel that they will never be able to afford a house in the U.K, there are also many other reasons to why we wont to move.

Friends and family say that it’s a gamble going to the other side of the world, but everything that you do in life is a gamble. Obviously, we would be giving up a lot to move over seas, but the biggest worry is the financial climate.

Any views would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Sedgecl

For what its worth...

Better to regret the things you did do than the things you didnt.

If you dont go, you dont know.

He who dares wins. (Try not to picture Dell Boy!)

Life is too short.

and finally, the one I live by....... If you had to explain to yourself in 20 years time why you didnt take a chance on a life adventure for you and your family.. what would you say?

Archived