In awe of Earlswood 's knowledge of Oz

dalhousie

I would like to say how much I enjoy Earlswood’s posts. They’re priceless and I am amazed that he can summarise life in Australia after living two years in Northbridge in Perth. Earsly I’m not sure if you have travelled much out of the Perth area, you may have and I have missed those posts. But I am sure your observations are your own honest and personal experiences; but Perth is a long way away from the rest of Australia, in fact if you spoke to some die hard Western Aussies they hardly think of themselves as part of Australia at all :biglaugh:

Firstly Northbridge as far as I can recall is the Club Land of Perth, it’s where the Pubs, Café’s. Restaurants and most importantly the Night Clubs are. Lots of booze + noisy drunk young people = chaos anywhere in the world.

Some points most of you probably know but, just in case …

Australia has a total population of 21 million people

Great Britain has a total population on 61 million people

Australia has a land mass of 4.8 million square miles or 7.6million sq. kms.

Great Britain has a land mass of 80,000 sq miles or 244,820 sq kms,

There are cattle stations in parts of Australia that are bigger than Belgium.

Western Australia has a land mass of 1,022,500 square miles or 250,000,000 sq kilometres. Western Australia’s population is approximately 2.2 million. Perth and close surrounds population is 1.5 million. The climate varies from tropical in the north to Mediterranean around Perth; there is a great mass of desert between.

Perth is closer to Singapore and Jakarta than it is to Canberra. It has been stated it is most Asian city in Australia, though personally I did not find it that way.

Road distances:

Perth distance to Adelaide (pop 1.1 mil) 1620 miles or 2600 kms

Perth distance to Melbourne (pop 3.8 mil) 2100 miles or 3400 kms

Perth distance to Sydney (pop 4.3 mil) 2500 miles or 3400 kms

Perth distance to Brisbane (pop 1.8 mil) 2656 miles or 4275 kms

As a comparison

London (Pop 7.5 mil) distance to Rome 950 miles or 1500 kms

London distance to Moscow 1550 miles or 2500 kms

Most people in Australia live along the coast from Adelaide to Brisbane and the climate varies from Mediterranean in Adelaide to Sub tropical in Brisbane and tropical in Townsville,

This is not an exercise in putting down Great Britain or glamorising Australia, it’s just to point out that trying to compare the two countries is a ridiculous exercise. It cannot be done. The Australian land mass is bigger, the climate is different. Australia has a very small population and it is spread over areas that are vast when compared to GB. GB has an infrastructure going back a thousand years. Australia’s western culture and infrastructure is only 200 years old. .

I sometimes think too it would be a good idea if immigrants coming to Australia not only try and understand it geographically, but study a wee bit of the history of Australia. This country had a very harsh beginning and struggled tenaciously for many years just to survive. There were many incidents with the various British governments that neglected and brutalized the people in the colony. The Gold Rush and the two great wars also had a great influence in Australia’s psyche. The isolation from “Mother England” gave them a spirit of getting on with things in their own way.

The influx of British and more so Southern European immigrants from the late 40’s made a huge change in Australia’s character. I find Australia an exciting new and developing country, and I am happy to be a part of its growth to maturity. By the way I’m a Scot but an Australian Citizen and I have lived in this country for many years.

dalhousie

I think most regular forum members know to take Earls with a pinch of salt ! You either love him or loath him but if he wants to write about how crap he thought Perth was, it is up to him, it is his opinions and as we know everyone's opinions are different, if you dont like reading his posts then its easy to flick to another thread.

Cal x

I think most regular forum members know to take Earls with a pinch of salt ! You either love him or loath him but if he wants to write about how crap he thought Perth was, it is up to him, it is his opinions and as we know everyone's opinions are different, if you dont like reading his posts then its easy to flick to another thread.

Cal x

I certainly did not intend this post to be offensive to anyone, if it appears that way I apologize. I did acknowledged that Earlswood's comments were his own honest experiences in Perth. I have done much the same thing and posted my experiences and knowledge of Australia.

dalhousie

Nothing at all wrong with your post Dalhousie,no appology needed. just thought i would add what i did BEFORE it all gets silly,lol, maybe i have been doing this modding too long,lol, you just get a 'feeling' that certain threads will spiral into disaster! Hope i didnt offend you

Cal x

I certainly did not intend this post to be offensive to anyone, if it appears that way I apologize. I did acknowledged that Earlswood's comments were his own honest experiences in Perth. I have done much the same thing and posted my experiences and knowledge of Australia.

dalhousie

either his own honest experiences or Google! lol

Guest Working to fish
either his own honest experiences or Google! lol

LOL ,sorry earls but that was a good one lmao :biglaugh:

eddie

:biglaugh:

no offence

Knew the info about OZ but had to check the distances between London - Rome and Moscow. :embarrassed:

By the way it's she. :biglaugh:

dalhousie

I think kernow43 was meaning Earlswoods stories and info???.....maybe im wrong!

Although the OP was (as far as I know) factual, what has it got to do with Earlswoods opinions? I can't recall Earlswood contesting such facts as land mass and population.

Be honest now and admit it was a sideways dig at him:wubclub:

Although the OP was (as far as I know) factual, what has it got to do with Earlswoods opinions? I can't recall Earlswood contesting such facts as land mass and population.

Be honest now and admit it was a sideways dig at him:wubclub:

Your right Aldo I don't believe Earlswood ever did contest these facts. No I wasn't trying to have a dig. I was trying to point out that Australia is a huge country. Really the first time this was pointed out to me in this way (ie distances from London to Rome or Moscow compared to Perth from Adelaide) I really brought home to me just how big it is, and that one area in Australia is not indicative to the rest of the country. I have done some travelling around it so I know that a few hundred miles or so can make a huge difference to population, services, and even climate.

Plus the population is minuscule compared to the size of the land, so infrastructures etc cannot possibly be expected to be as efficient as GB and Europe or USA with their much larger populations and demands and monetary turnover. Definitely not a dig just the facts as I see them.

dalhousie

Guest TheArmChairDetective
? I can't recall Earlswood contesting such facts as land mass and population.

Well I certainly remember him contesting such things, especially population in relation to crime rates.

Was earlsy actually ever in Oz??? I don't know the answer but I certainly always had my suspicions:biglaugh:

Your right Aldo I don't believe Earlswood ever did contest these facts. No I wasn't trying to have a dig. I was trying to point out that Australia is a huge country. Really the first time this was pointed out to me in this way (ie distances from London to Rome or Moscow compared to Perth from Adelaide) I really brought home to me just how big it is, and that one area in Australia is not indicative to the rest of the country. I have done some travelling around it so I know that a few hundred miles or so can make a huge difference to population, services, and even climate.

Plus the population is minuscule compared to the size of the land, so infrastructures etc cannot possibly be expected to be as efficient as GB and Europe or USA with their much larger populations and demands and monetary turnover. Definitely not a dig just the facts as I see them.

dalhousie

Hence the acronym GAFA :biglaugh:

You obviously know your facts regarding you chosen home and Australia is a huge country in terms of land mass and it has a tiny population (people/m2)

Earlswood spent 2 years in Northbridge (allegedly).

This experience has apparently given him a deep understanding of the WHOLE of Australia, its culture and various regions. Like going on holiday to the Costa Del Sol for a couple of weeks and thinking you know about the diversity of Spain's provinces and its history, people and culture.

Apparently the other night he 'met lots of Aboriginal people' whilst there.

I'm presuming now he's an expert on their history ,culture and lives too.

Is there no end to his knowledge????

I'm in awe too!

Earlswood spent 2 years in Northbridge (allegedly).

This experience has apparently given him a deep understanding of the WHOLE of Australia, its culture and various regions. Like going on holiday to the Costa Del Sol for a couple of weeks and thinking you know about the diversity of Spain's provinces and its history, people and culture.

Apparently the other night he 'met lots of Aboriginal people' whilst there.

I'm presuming now he's an expert on their history ,culture and lives too.

Is there no end to his knowledge????

I'm in awe too!

Dint know he`d been to Fitzroy Crossing ,Halls head or Kal

Mally

Archived