Recent shipping container customs time? How long did yours take?

Guest slipshot

Guest slipshot

Chaps

General consensus is that it is about 7-10 days before they release it although it does depend, I know, on other circumstances. when I shipped items before it was about 7 days, but Kent Moving, over here, advised that with our ship docking in Melbourne on the 17 Feb, we would not see our stuff until 7 or 8 March. That seems a very long time, so can anyone advise the length of time they have waited, recently, for their container to be released and thus delivered?

Thanks

Sip

Guest prettyinpink

We were originally told that our stuff would be in customs for 10-15 days before being delivered.

What they didn't tell us was this time is actually 'working days', so we did actually wait 3 weeks......but that was all it took for us at Fremantle (Perth)

hi

Our container November 2007 took the 7-10 days and they were not working days, this was Sydney. The delay in delivery was booking into the removalists schedule

Chaps

General consensus is that it is about 7-10 days before they release it although it does depend, I know, on other circumstances. when I shipped items before it was about 7 days, but Kent Moving, over here, advised that with our ship docking in Melbourne on the 17 Feb, we would not see our stuff until 7 or 8 March. That seems a very long time, so can anyone advise the length of time they have waited, recently, for their container to be released and thus delivered?

Thanks

Sip

Today I was about to ask the same question on the forum.

Our stuff landed at Sydney dock 19th January 09, 3 days ahead of ETA.

We had a letter from the aussie end of John Mason asking for $361 customs cost.

In the letter they said that we get 10 days free storage - but no indication of when the 10 days start!

I telephoned their office - mentioned the letter and advised we had sent a bank cheque..and BTW, when will our stuff be delivered?

In about 2 - 3 weeks depending on customs and location of container!

I assume the clerk meant its position in the queue.

So we are still waiting........

Guest KP Nuts

Hi there, we also had Kent removal.... our ship docked 23rd Dec 2 days early, and we received our container on the 8th January, and that was with the christmas shut down.

KP Nuts

Our stuff (shared container) arrived in Melbourne port late September and we were offered delivery about 10 days later (friday 26 Sep), had to put off until Monday as we moved into the rental Saturday 27. This was only 2 days after custom clearance.

Arrival at Port / Airport 16 Sep 08Completed

Arrival at Wridgways Warehouse18 Sep 08Completed

Quarantine Examination19 Sep 08Completed

Customs Clearance24 Sep 08Completed

• 3 years later...
Guest lexibelle
Chaps

Thanks

Sip

How long did yours take in the end Sip? Which company handled your delivery in Melbourne? I'd be really interested to know.

"Customs clearance" is a catch-all excuse the shipping agents like to use, but delays are rarely due to customs

The customs clearance itself is largely a paperwork exercise which should be started by your shipping agents as soon as they receive the notice of release of the container from the port operators. If you have declared items they will need to be inspected mind

However, once the port operators have released the container for pick up, your agents have to actually book a pick-up time, pick it up, take it to their bonded warehouse and unpack it there ready for inspection before customs and AQIS can do anything.....this is where lots of the time is usually lost, IME and from talking to others including people in the business, generally AQIS and customs inspection (if there is any required) get to your contents once they've been notified within 1-3 days, and will either clear the shipment on the day or notify of any issues

After that clearance, your agents then have to schedule in the delivery - this again is where lots of time gets wasted

So it's definitely worth badgering them (your agents), because the excuse they give that their hands are tied and they are "waiting for customs clearance" is usually a bit of BS - their resource availability is generally the issue rather than anything the government agencies are or aren't doing

Guest lexibelle
"Customs clearance" is a catch-all excuse the shipping agents like to use, but delays are rarely due to customs

The customs clearance itself is largely a paperwork exercise which should be started by your shipping agents as soon as they receive the notice of release of the container from the port operators. If you have declared items they will need to be inspected mind

However, once the port operators have released the container for pick up, your agents have to actually book a pick-up time, pick it up, take it to their bonded warehouse and unpack it there ready for inspection before customs and AQIS can do anything.....this is where lots of the time is usually lost, IME and from talking to others including people in the business, generally AQIS and customs inspection (if there is any required) get to your contents once they've been notified within 1-3 days, and will either clear the shipment on the day or notify of any issues

After that clearance, your agents then have to schedule in the delivery - this again is where lots of time gets wasted

So it's definitely worth badgering them (your agents), because the excuse they give that their hands are tied and they are "waiting for customs clearance" is usually a bit of BS - their resource availability is generally the issue rather than anything the government agencies are or aren't doing

Thanks Pintpot. That is really helpful

Archived