Guest James.S

Vetassess practical..........!!!!!!!!

Hi I'm struggling interpret something in the connect/disconnect part of the test, it says

Ensure that you know the minimum allowable value of insulation resistance of a conductor/s to earth/ground by your LOCAL STANDARDS

So that bit is straight forward, its just you regular insulation resistance test, minimum is 1Megohm and anything under 2 Megohm requires further investigation, its the other one....

Ensure that you know the maximum allowable value of earthing resistance of a conductor by your LOCAL STANDARDS

I'm not sure what this bit is asking for????? HELP!

Matthew, I am referring to RA - Risk Assessments and MS - Method Statements, before starting a project to cover the workmen that are doing the work. RS is measured in points and assesses the amount of risk to a persons health or risks of falling etc, electrocution. MS - refers to how the work is going to be carried out, what equipment will be used, etc. All the men working on the project will be shown the forms so they all know the risks and how the work will be carried out. This is a requirement by Health and Safety Act to guard against accidents and mishaps, and is there to protect the workforce.

Do MS's and RA's apply in Australia, when I was inquiring people seemed pretty vague. I am asking being a retired Electrical Project Manager

Of course. its a very similar system to the uk substitution elimination control measures etc

Just wondered Bobbie, when I was there last Summer, I was talking to an Engineer who looked after a large Hotel, and I am sure they did not know too much about the systems. I worked in the UK as a Senior Electrical and Mechanical Engineer on projects to values of 500 Milion Gbp so was interested to know if these or similar schemes were enforced in Australia. Thanks for your information Bobbie.

• 3 weeks later...
A picture of the full practical and equations you need to know for vetassess as of 04/2016. Exam taken at north west college london. Any Qs give me a shout. Cheers

That was it?... No motor control ? Mine was a lot more in depth than that picture

Yeh thats all i could sneak a picture of. I had just started stripping out and thought about taking a snap shot. There was a motor control completed and safe isolation and re connection but the tutor was there so i couldnt grab any pictures. Just a little more to help with the nerves.

Does anyone have a digital copy of the code book (or whatever you call it)? I've got a physical copy coming, but I'd like to get started sooner if I can.

Does Australia and NZ use the same code book?

Thanks..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Skyba, i'm looking into getting my electrical skills assessed now and thought it had to be done via vetassess! is this not the case? also I qualified about 6 years ago but due to lack of work and having to get better salary for family reasons not really done much since, do you think the assessment would be an issue with my lack of working in that field currently?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Hi, just thought I'd put a post on here as I'm a spark and I've just completed my skills assessment through future skills via the down under center.

Can't sing their praises highly enough, wes and his team are so helpful and not only with the skills assessment but other parts of the migration process too. They have always been available on the phone and ready to help. I was going to do the vetasses route as I've been looking into moving for a while and was always led to believe this is the only route but it's not, thankfully, they have between 2 and 4 assessments a month I think, don't quote me on that, I know they hold them monthly as apose to vetasses' two or three times a year. They also do a training day to ready you for the test which cost me £300 but was well worth the time and money because it made that assessment so much more straightforward and much less daunting on the day.

Anyway i thought I'd share this info because from what I understand they are still trying to make a name for themselves but they without doubt offer the best service I've come across and I've been readying myself for migration for about 4 years now and have looked into all the different companies. I considered a company called down under tradies but steered clear after a few warnings on here, turns out it was a good thing to do as a guy in the assessment training with me lost a lot of money by using them and they charged him but never actually did the work and just fobbed him off until he went to their office and just got his documents back and had to re-apply and lost money.

Anyway just a quick share as I came across the company by chance and I'm so glad I did because they have saved me so much time and have been really helpful and I just wish I'd heard about them on here as I'd trawled through this site for years and was only aware of vetassess who aren't very accessible.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks has anybody completed the WAE100 Max demand assignment?

i'm in the process of doing it via distance learning (nightmare - would much rather be in the class room where it is easy to interact with tutor etc) and need a bit of help. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys I got through the stage 2 skills assessment by using skill shortage solutions to get my uk documents organised I would recommend using this company . I now have the stage 3 practical assessment booked in for 30 August in Sydney with future skills international .

Would anyone know of how I can get the books to revise for the exam the book I need is electrical trade principles version 2 . The local library did not have it and looked on gumtree with no success ? I am based in cold Canberra ! Thanks

Hi Guys I got through the stage 2 skills assessment by using skill shortage solutions to get my uk documents organised I would recommend using this company . I now have the stage 3 practical assessment booked in for 30 August in Sydney with future skills international .

Would anyone know of how I can get the books to revise for the exam the book I need is electrical trade principles version 2 . The local library did not have it and looked on gumtree with no success ? I am based in cold Canberra ! Thanks

future skills will email you a copy of the practical assessment outline with a practice paper of the theory assessment

hi lc sparks,

first time on here.

im sitting my practical in sept at north london college, can you give me a description of what they asked you and what you had to do, im a bit nervous i left college over 10 years ago and have never had to install motors.

thanks in advance

kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there lads, I'm currently doing my WAE100 assignment, and was wondering if anyone could send me theirs to confirm a few things?

I've gone through the demand, and derating of cabling, but not sure if my metering is done correctly.

It would be so greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all I've just started reading this thread it's going to take some time. I'm looking for some advice and guidance I'm currently looking to do a short electricians course 5 weeks I think and then set about working for a company to get a few years experience under my belt the course I'm looking at doing it will end up with 4 city & guilds level 3. Now my questions to you all is.

1. Is this worth doing as now 28 and looking for a new career but can't afford to do an apprenticeship as have mortgage etc.

2. Will the skill and city & guilds qualify me to be accepted for a visa to move to Oz.

3. Would I need to do an nvq.

4. What other things would I need to complete.

5. How many years experience would I need before I could make the jump.

I know most or all of my answers will probably be in the thread but like I said I've just started reading and it's going to take a while.

Any help advice and guidance would be a great help.

Many thanks Gene.

Hi all I've just started reading this thread it's going to take some time. I'm looking for some advice and guidance I'm currently looking to do a short electricians course 5 weeks I think and then set about working for a company to get a few years experience under my belt the course I'm looking at doing it will end up with 4 city & guilds level 3. Now my questions to you all is.

1. Is this worth doing as now 28 and looking for a new career but can't afford to do an apprenticeship as have mortgage etc.

2. Will the skill and city & guilds qualify me to be accepted for a visa to move to Oz.

3. Would I need to do an nvq.

4. What other things would I need to complete.

5. How many years experience would I need before I could make the jump.

I know most or all of my answers will probably be in the thread but like I said I've just started reading and it's going to take a while.

Any help advice and guidance would be a great help.

Many thanks Gene.

Sorry I dont know the answer to your question as licencing is forever changing and my partner did it 7 years ago! I wouldnt go too far back on the posts, this thread has been going so long a lot of it will be out of date.

Hi Gene, you need to make sure that the course you do is the latest city and guilds course that includes an Nvq which would also include an AM2.

This will also issue you with a completion certificate.

This would then give you the correct qualifications to register as an electrician with the JIB.

The five week courses do not cover enough. It might teach you how to add a plug or an extra light fitting etc but it won't teach you about motor controls, transformers and all the electrical science you need.

Once you have this you need to have three years post qualifiying experience to apply for a skilled visa.

Then once you have done all of that you then do further training in OZ.

My my advice if your looking for a trade to get you to Oz don't choose the electrical one.

Gene, without sounding too harsh there isn't a course you can do that will make you an electrician in 5 weeks and anyone who tell you that there is, is a joker... They are part p courses and are for domestic installers which isn't an electrician.

For emigration purposes you don't have to have 3 years post qualification anymore, you need 2 years including your training but that is only if you are a fully qualified electrician which would allow you to get a qualified electrician traded gold card from the JIB. You don't have to do an AM2 to get this but you do have to complete your NVQ level 3 and if you don't do the AM2 you have to have more than 4 years on site experience on site and you would have to cover more jobs in your NVW portfolio otherwise you have to do the AM2 to be able to complete your NVQ 3.

if you aren't a fully qualified electrician and you have been working as a domestic installer and considered an "electrician", as in you have your city and guilds 2330 part 2&3 or today's equivalent and you've been working unsupervised, you have to prove 7 years of work history post 2330 level 3 qualification.

Like I said in the eyes of the JIB you aren't an electrician until you have completed your NVQ 3 although many people seem to think otherwise because of these quick fix courses that have popped up over the last 10 years due to the domestic installer scheme.

If if you were to do either of these routes you'd also have to complete an IELTS English exam and get all 8's and above in order to get above 60 points as if you were to become fully qualified I would imagine you wouldn't wait for that extra year to get the 3 years lost qualification to gain the points for work experience and if you were a domestic installer you aren't able to count post qualification experience as in the eyes of the immigration and the JIB you aren't qualified yet proving your 7 years experience is enough to prove your skills for a skills assessment.

Like me someone said above you'd probably struggle getting through as a domestic installer that has only completed a 5 week course as you would never be able to complete to science required to pass the theory exam for the skills assessment. During my assesmemt there was a lad who only ever worked on the tube and did literally no revision and he crumbled halfway through and walked out of the exam, £1000 wasted.

once you have compel all that you have to complete the minimum Australian context gap training, this has changed lately and there are companies beginning to allow you to start the theory side of it in the UK, but once you are in oz you have to do a week long practical exam and then do profile 21 which is an online profiling system which notes the type of work and how many hours you have done until you have gained the experience to get the full electrical license.

At 28 you are probably better off getting a WHV and trying to get into a trade over there and finding a sponsor.

Edited by Skyba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here

*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.

*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)

*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)

*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.

*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.

*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)

supervised workers licence $226

Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week

Future skills cert 3 $50

LEP course around $450 3days.

LEPExam $275

LET course around $480 4days.

LET Exam $95

You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and I can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time

AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...