Results 1 to 4 of 4
    1. #1

      What requirements do you need?

      I live in the UK, and I am thinking of studying in Australia.

      But my Question is, what requirements do I need to apply for the visa/apply for the college?

      Can someone help?

    2. #2

      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Edinburgh- Perth- Edinburgh- ??
      866 times


      I am going to study next year, below is some info you may find helpfull


      Australia’s Overseas Student Visa Program

      Have you been assessed as not meeting the requirements for General Skilled Migration?
      If so then the student visa program may be your only option of entering Australia to live and work. The student visa
      program is designed as a stepping stone to allow would be migrants to enter Australia and study at University or
      Technical and Further Education College to meet permanent residency criteria for the General Skills Migration
      For those students who have completed a minimum of 2 years full time study and gained experience of Australia’s
      way of life and culture then DIAC wish to recognise the contribution you can make to Australia.
      What is a Student Visa?
      A student visa allows people who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to study in Australia.
      Anyone who is not an Australian resident can apply under this program. To become a student in Australia you must
      undertake a course of study in a registered course on a full time basis. The course to be registered must be offered
      by a recognized Australian education provider who is registered with the Australian Government to offer courses to
      overseas students.
      The Student Visa Program
      Under Australia’s newly structured student visa program students are assessed under different visa subclasses in
      relation to the course of study they wish to undertake. Too meet visa requirements, prospective students must
      show they meet “assessment factors” which relate to the applicants country of nationality and the education sector
      they will study in. The Department of immigration & Citizenship (DIAC) has recognized that certain countries are at
      a higher risk in not being able to meet their obligations whilst on a student visa. Students are now required to
      provide more assurance’s that they can meet their obligations if DIAC assess them as a risk.
      Assessment level 1 represents the lowest assessment level and assessment level 5 the highest. United Kingdom is
      an assessment level 1. The higher the assessment level, the more evidence you will need to provide to demonstrate
      your financial capacity, understanding of the English language and other relevant matters.
      Student obligations;
      You will need to be able to show you can pay for:
      - your travel to Australia (including any accompanying family members)
      - your course costs
      - your first year's living expenses (calculated as follows):
      - A$12,000 for yourself
      - A$4,200 for your spouse (if applicable)
      - A$2,400 for the first child (if applicable)
      - A$1,800 for each extra child (if applicable)
      - A$8,000 for each child aged between 5 and 18 (for school costs)
      You will also need to sign a declaration that you have access to sufficient funds to cover the costs (including living
      costs and school costs for the remainder of the course).
      Types of Student Visas;
      Student visa subclasses which have been in effect since 01/07/2001 are as follows:
      Independent ELICOS
      English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), undertaken as a stand-alone course, not
      leading to an Australian award, ELICOS undertaken as a stand-alone course, leading to a certificate I, II, III or IV
      Primary school course, secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary, or approved secondary
      exchange program
      Vocational Education and Training
      Certificate I, II, III, and IV (except ELICOS), diploma, or advanced diploma
      Higher Education
      Bachelor degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma, or masters coursework
      Postgraduate Research
      Masters research, or doctoral degree
      Bringing Family Member’s;
      You may be able to bring your family members with you to Australia while you study. Your spouse or partner will
      also hold a temporary visa whilst in Australia. Any dependant children who are required to attend school will also
      need to show proof of enrolment before a visa is granted. Your children will not be eligible for free schooling and
      will be required to pay international school fees. As a guideline fees for a school year per child will be $8,000 AUD.
      Working in Australia;
      All initial Student visas are granted with the condition 8101, No Work. This means when you land in Australia you
      are not entitled to work. However you and members of your family can apply for permission to work only after you
      have commenced your studies in Australia.
      The main applicant holding the student visa can work 20 hours per week during any week when your course is in
      session. There are no restrictions on the hours of work when the course is not in session such as vacation periods.
      The secondary applicant being the spouse/partner can also apply to work 20 hours a week. Secondary applicants
      can only work over 20 hours if the main applicant is doing postgraduate study such as a Masters or PhD program.
      Extending Your Stay;
      You may wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study, staying for graduation, a holiday, or migration. If
      this is the case then we would advise you to contact an OE Consultant for further information.
      DIAC Advise to Student Visa Holders;
      DIAC advises student visa holders must have enough funds to cover their course tuition fees, overseas student
      health cover, return air fairs and other associated costs such as purchasing text books, accommodation, food and
      other general expenses.
      What Conditions Will Be Applied to My Student Visa;
      For all visa subclasses there are certain conditions that the visa holder must meet. Student visas are no exception.
      The following are a few of the most common conditions attached to student visas;
      - Condition 8202 requires the student to satisfy attendance and/or course requirements and maintain a valid
      enrolment for the chosen course of study. Attendance needs to be above 80%.
      - Condition 8501 the student must have made adequate arrangements for health insurance whilst in Australia. This
      is normally covered in the course provider’s enrolment fees and is compulsory.
      - Condition 8517 the main applicant must make adequate arrangements for the education of any school-age
      dependant which is staying in Australia for 3 months or more.
      - Condition 8516 you must continue to satisfy the requirements for grant of your student visa. This means, for
      example, that your main course of study must continue to be a course in the education sector that matches your
      student visa, and that you must continue to have sufficient financial capacity to support your study and stay in
      - Condition 8101 the student and members of the family unit must not work unless granted permission after the
      course of study has commenced
      - Condition 8533 requires the student to notify your education provider of your residential address in Australia
      within 7 days of arriving in Australia. You must notify your education provider of any change in your residential
      address within 7 days of the change. You must notify your education provider of a change of education provider
      within 7 days of receiving the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment.
      If a visa holder where to breach any of these conditions then this may result in the visa being cancelled and the
      holder removed from Australia.
      Your student visa can be granted a maximum of 12 weeks (2 months and 3 weeks) before your course
      commencement date. You may travel to Australia on a one-way ticket if you hold a student visa.
      The Generals Skills Migration (GSM) program is for non Australian citizens or permanent residents currently
      studying in Australia and wish to apply for a skilled migrant visa. When you are about 3 months away from
      completing your course and have 2 years study, you can then contact OE Visas regarding assistance in preparing a
      further visa to stay in Australia. Visas available to Overseas Students include;
      Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa (subclass 885)
      A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a
      result of at least two (2) years study. Applicants are not sponsored and must pass a points test pass mark of 120.
      Skilled – Sponsored (Residence) visa (subclass 886)
      A permanent visa for eligible overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a
      result of at least two (2) years study. For applicants not able to meet the Skilled – Independent pass mark, who
      have either a relative in Australia to sponsor them or a nomination from a State or Territory government. Applicants
      must pass a points test pass mark of 100 which is lower than that for the Skilled – Independent visa.
      Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)
      A permanent visa for eligible provisional visa holders who have lived for at least two (2) years and worked for at
      least one (1) year in a Specified Regional Area in Australia.
      Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)
      A three (3) year provisional visa for eligible overseas students who can meet the lower pass mark of 100.
      Applicants must be either sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area of Australia or nominated by
      a participating state/territory government. After living for two (2) years and working for at least one (1) year in a
      Specified Regional Area, applicants can apply for a permanent visa under subclass 887.
      Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485)
      An 18 month temporary visa for overseas students who have obtained an Australian qualification in Australia as a
      result of at least two (2) years study. Allows applicants who are unable to pass the points test to remain in Australia
      for 18 months to gain the skills and experience needed to apply for a permanent or provisional General Skilled
      Migration visa. No points test applies.
      This visa allows the applicant and their partner to work unlimited without the 20 hour a week restriction placed
      upon them during the student visa. Applicants who then work for 12 months in Australia can then claim an extra 10
      points plus an additional 15 (=25) if this occupation is on the migration occupation in demand list.
      Available Courses
      For the purposes of studying in Australia and then meeting criteria to go onto a residency visa the majority of
      applicants choose to study at a Technical & Further Education College (TAFE College) and study under the Vocation
      Education & Training Subclass. The main reason for this is the courses are designed to meet the 2 year study
      requirement and are therefore run for two years. TAFE College fees are also cheaper than University fees.
      However there is only a limited amount of courses you can study at a TAFE College to gain the 60 points required
      that most people need to meet the points for a residency visa (A list of current courses has been provided below). A
      list of the courses you can study at University has not been provided as this list is endless. However most courses
      are 3 years in duration and the subject matter must be consistent with an occupation on the skills occupations list.
      Further consultation with OE Visas and our Education Consultant will guide you through the appropriate courses you
      can study.
      Hairdressing – Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Kingscliff, Sunshine Coast & Melbourne
      Commercial Cookery – Sydney, Kingscliff, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast & WA TAFE
      Retail Baking – WA TAFE & Gold Coast
      Pastry Cook – Sydney, Melbourne & Gold Coast
      Dental Technology – NSW TAFE & Brisbane
      Textile, Clothing & Footwear Mechanic – Sunshine Coast, NSW TAFE & WA TAFE
      Community Services/Welfare Work – Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, NSW TAFE & WA TAFE
      Certificate III in Automotive/Motor Mechanic – Gold Coast
      Diploma in Printing & Graphic Arts – Melbourne
      Horticulture (Landscape gardener) – Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, NSW & WA TAFE
      Refrigeration & Air-conditioning Mechanic – Melbourne
      Bricklayer – Sunshine Coast
      Diploma of Jewellery Design & Production – WA TAFE
      Certificate III in Marine Craft Construction/Boat builder – Gold Coast
      Certificate III in Furniture Making – Gold Coast
      Diploma of Engineering Technology/Security Engineering & Certificate III in Locksmithing - Melbourne
      Diploma of Engineering Technology/Mechanical Engineering & Certificate III in Engineering Mechanical - Melbourne

      Lang may yer lum reek!

    3. #3

      Join Date
      Nov 2008
      Pontefract, Yorkshire
      3 times
      Thank you Emmaroo,

      Good luck for your forthcoming studies. I found your post really informative. I am hoping to go to Queensland on a student visa with my husband and two sons. We are researching like mad and have been in touch with a few migration experts who essentially told us what you have outlined. Its good to know that everything matches up.

      Good luck PxRxD in your quest. Hope it all works out for you.


    4. #4

      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Edinburgh- Perth- Edinburgh- ??
      866 times
      Glad you found post useful. Good luck with your studies.


      Lang may yer lum reek!



    Similar Threads

    1. Citizenship in 2 yrs, requirements please
      By samozsoon in forum Migration Issues
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 21-09-2007, 06:55 AM
    2. New ACS requirements for MODL
      By ptlabs in forum Migration Issues
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 17-05-2007, 03:10 AM
    3. Visa job requirements
      By buckbuchanan in forum Migration Issues
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 20-03-2007, 06:09 PM
    4. Visa job requirements
      By buckbuchanan in forum Jobs & Careers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 13-03-2007, 11:43 PM
    Copyright © 2005 - 2016
    All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 AM.