what is worth shipping

Guest tandcmum

Guest tandcmum

we don't have much of any importance...lol

the majority of our furniture is ikea cheap stuff so not worth taking. Our sofa is a cheapo from argos although i do like it and it is comfy. Our bed is a super king size which i might consider shipping, but the rest of it ispretty naff and need replacing anyway.

Obvioulsy sentimental things like photos, some of the kids toys, ps3 and pc need to go. we have 50 inch plasma but not sure if it's worth paying to ship that. All our white goods are built in to our rented flat so we don't have any of these to take anyway.

was thinking it's not worth taking crockery and kitchen ware as what do you do whilst it is in shipping, if you send it ahead you have to manage back in the uk, and if you ship it as yu leave you have to manage in Oz until it arrives, so might just leave and buy some of the cheap stuff from ikea when we get there (which is what ours is anyway)

was also thinking of packing some beding into suitcases to take with us and maybe sending some clothes over in the shipping

all these things to think about my head is hurting

Guest mufcforever

we shipped everything 19 weeks ago from manchester to melbourne( well everything in house) the company we used were abysmal, still waiting for gear to arrive as i said before pillocks sent it to sydney where it is now coming by rail,basically the more you ship the better value your probably gettingjust do not use the pits of the shipping world--

? there the opposite of black????and christ some ########company .(leeds):mad:

we shipped next to nothing when we came ,just 18 mixed boxes of tools,kitchen ware, bedding/towels and clothes. I packed a few 'essentials' in one of the cases to bring with us and had one fantastic spending spree when we arrived,lol, the only thing i would do different if i had my time again would be to bring my tumble dryer and fridge-freezer.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Guest spottymercedes
we don't have much of any importance...lol

the majority of our furniture is ikea cheap stuff so not worth taking. Our sofa is a cheapo from argos although i do like it and it is comfy. Our bed is a super king size which i might consider shipping, but the rest of it ispretty naff and need replacing anyway.

Obvioulsy sentimental things like photos, some of the kids toys, ps3 and pc need to go. we have 50 inch plasma but not sure if it's worth paying to ship that. All our white goods are built in to our rented flat so we don't have any of these to take anyway.

was thinking it's not worth taking crockery and kitchen ware as what do you do whilst it is in shipping, if you send it ahead you have to manage back in the uk, and if you ship it as yu leave you have to manage in Oz until it arrives, so might just leave and buy some of the cheap stuff from ikea when we get there (which is what ours is anyway)

was also thinking of packing some beding into suitcases to take with us and maybe sending some clothes over in the shipping

all these things to think about my head is hurting

We shipped anything and everything!! Yes it took quite a while to come, but I'd hate to have to fork out all that cash to replace it all. We bought the bare essentials when we arrived and managed with those until ours arrived. My only regrets are that I wished I had thinned out the kids toys a bit more as we brought way too many!!! And I would have bought some extra glasses and mugs from Asda to match my crockery set as I have broken some of them since they arrived.

If you really think your furniture is old and needs replacing then there are some deals to be had if you shop around. Just make sure you take your time and don't rush into buying immediately on arrival as you will make mistakes and waste cash if you do.

Good Luck. xx

Guest James.S

Hi, we are having exactly the same dilema.. our stuff is being collected in a week so have started the 'picking' and cleaning process!

What we do when we question whether or not to take something is... A, how much can we sell it for here... b, how much volume will it take up and therfore approximately cost to ship... and then c, how much would it be to replace in Oz, if A is about equal to C then we flog it, if A is less than C but B is greater then we flog it, otherwise it comes!!

Happy sorting.. (it can be quite liberating though!!)

James...

Archived