Road trip

Guest brooksey

Guest brooksey

Does anybody Know how long it would take to drive from Brisbane to Perth.

Iv'e tried route finders and none seem to want to tell me distance or time.

Is there only one route or several and has anyone tried it

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Brooksey

It depends which route you want to take, and which places you want to see on the way?

Google Maps

Google Maps reckons that the most direct route skirts Adelaide. It gives the distance as 4,261 kms

An alternative possibility is Brisbane/Mount Isa/Alice Springs - 2,700kms

Google Maps

From Alice Springs the route is via Leonora, then Kalgoorlie and then through to Perth. The distance is 2,476 kms. This would give you the chance to visit Uluru (Ayers Rock) on the way from Alice Springs to Perth.

A fourth possibility would be that instead of turning left at Leonora and heading South to Kalgoorlie, you could turn right and go to Geraldton (2,421kms) and then 400kms down to Perth.

Google Australia can produce Google Maps.

Best wishes

Gill

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Brooksey

Please, please, please completely and utterly IGNORE my suggestion about going to Perth via Alice Springs.

I have since discovered that the only sealed road between the NT and Perth is the Great Northern Highway or some such name. Look on the Laing O'Rourke website. They are the main Civil Engineers for it as far as I can gather. Something called the Gibb Highway (also via the Kimberleys) is a dirt track - I found that on YouTube.

Apparently the Scenic Route from Alice to Leonora to Kalgoorlie to Perth requires an off-road capability vehicle plus a shed load of serious, expedition-type organisation beforehand. When Google maps said, "Road" I assumed it complied with my definition of a road. Sealed, drained and capable of being tackled in an ordinary car with no special preparation required. It is another dirt track, it transpires, which is often impassable except in the Bone Dry.

The route via Adelaide might be proper, sealed road all the way but I am not even sure of that any more.

I am really sorry but I had no idea till I saw the Laing O'Rourke website that Google Maps cannot be trusted to know what a "road" might be.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest brooksey

I can sudenly see the mutt (sorry i mean beauitiful pampered pooch) going in kennels sometime next year

:emoticon-signxmas:

Archived