General Electrician or Supervisor Electrician???????

Guest martyn

Hi,

Just about to write out my trade evidence form and was wondering whether it is worth going as a supervisor electrician or a general electrician. I'm currently a foreman/site supervisor and i've been doing this job for several years now on projects around £6 million (electrical package) looking after between 20-40 electricians, so i don't think i'd have any problems passing the supervisor trades test. But would it make any difference when i get over to aus? Would it make it easier or harder to find a job? Would Aus firms take any notice of the vetassess assessment? I have no problem going back on the tools and it would even be a welcome break. I just want to make it as easy as possible to find a job when i get over there.

On another note, we are looking at going to SA, does anybody know what the work situation for installation electricians is like? As most of the jobs on offer through the jobfinder websites are for maintenance electricians and none of them show any wages.

If anyone can help me out, i'd be very grateful. :notworthy:

Martyn

Guest Steve916

Hi Martyn,

I think you have to be assessed as an electrician first before you can go for supervisor. Im a maintenance electrician and we are planning on moving to Perth. I have looked for maintenance electrician jobs there and they pay around 90000 - 100000 AUD. You would still have to go through the licensing procedure once in Oz but from what I have read, its slightly easier in SA.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve

you shall receive a "Restricted" license when you in Australia meaning your NOT allowed to work on any mains voltages alone, make sure you get the Electrical Mechanics ARTC this way upon coming to Australia you apply to the Tafe (College) to do a course to bring you in line with the Australian rules, i would recommend you go to PEER in S/A Australia the A class license can be done via distance correspondence then all you do is go to PEER for the exams, however at PEER its all changing from jan 2009 so i would be getting in contact with them now book for the distance course that way the new setup may not affect you.

The lady at PEER her name is Kate

kate@peer.com.au

they are excellent people to deal with, now then one person mentioned money on here a figure of $100,000 dollars thats in Perth now, i can assure you in a couple of years it shall all change.

In the rest of the states you can work as a sun contractor once you have the A class license & charge a standard rate of about $40.00 to $ 50.00 dollars per hour, if you post Stev"O on British Ex pats he may have more info for you on the rates.

As i say upon entering Australia your not allowed to work as a spark, you will only have the license as Restricted electrician, all your work shall have to be checked on a continual basis also the pay is ****e.

so you must get to the Tafe & do a course, then if your going to work in your own business you must do the contractors license before your allowed to do quoting or any advertising, then you must have insurance its been increased for all sparkies to $10,000.000.00 (ten million) costing about $700.00 per year, thats to cover the tossers who are as rough as guts (Aussies most of them).

99.9% of conduit here is pvc its as simple as that most duct (Trunking s) pvc, you wont find an Aussie spark who can make a set in any steel trunkings.

most cables are Twin & Earth then they also use Orange Circular its like Orange flex but to be honest its very decent cable.

there is NO Pyro or SWA here, maybe some on Petro Chemical sites but thats it Oh also SWA in mining but as i say thats it.

where i work we had contractors in the fix the motor for the heating, it was fed in Pyro, the bloke said whats this funny copper cable for.????? i asked him if he had ever used this cable before they shook there heads, i then said would you like me to show you how its used with the barrel stripper they looked at me like i was from another planet when i stared to strip the cable, some 45 mins later i returned they had stripped out the pyro & installed pvc conduit & used Twin & Earth for the motor in the boiler house.?????? I know don't say a word.???? rough as guts

Guest chris_mac
If any of you all require a schedule for the Disconnct & Reconnect i have got the VETASSESS one but made some significant changes so people have a better understanding of it all.

if you all need a copy im happy to cut & paste on here.

Hi Aurther

Ive passed my practical with vetassess general electrician which gains me the Off shore Training recognition,(OSTR) also the ARTF i beleive i think ? Which course do i need to undertake mate to get my A licence..

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the info, it doesn't surprise me about the state of installations over in Australia as i have worked all over Europe, in South Africa and America and it seems that British sparks do seem to be able to do a much wider range of work. i have noticed that there is an electrical fitters and mechanics artc, am i right in thinking that the electrical mechanics is an installations electrician and the fitter is a maintenance electrician. You mention about the $100 000 in Perth and that it will change, how so? Do you know what the situation is like for installation electrician on larger jobs like office blocks, chemical plants, etc., because i don't really want to go out there house bashing.

Martyn

• 1 year later...

martyn;

work in Perth has slowed mate its as simple as that some 60,000 people in the mines have gone, there is work but its tight to be honest, cost of housing in Perth is pathetic people cannot afford to buy.

the electrical mechanic is as you say for installation sparks the electrical fitter is mainly for maint people in some states the fitters license restricting to panel wiring only or extra low voltage.

if a person gets the fitters or mechanics restricted license, what a recommend to all people to do is contact PEER training in S/A they do a 5 day course for the full license for the wiring rules this gives you the full unrestricted electrical license, then all you need to do is transfer to the state your living in for an extra $350.00.

if your still in the Uk you can do a distance electrical course via PEER in S/A they provide all books to your home + a work book once you have completed the work book your ready for the exam at PEER when you get here, cost of course $900.00 includes exam.

the exam is over 2 days 1st revision DO IT 2nd day exam

Contact they are fantastic people tell Kate you have been in contact with

Arthur from Melbourne

Kate Boneham

Client Services Coordinator

PEER VEET

1042 Port Road

Albert Park SA 5014

Phone +61 8 8348 1200

Fax +61 8 8348 1201

kate@peer.com.au

• 4 months later...
Guest NeilanGemz

Hi #1Spark/Aurther

I've got my practical test in may in the UK and have contacted Peer with regards to the aus wiring regs course, I'm going to go to peer on our arrival to oz as we're going to stay in Adelaide for a month or so anyway. We are looking to end up in Brisbane so I can just transfer my A class license across?? I'm hoping to be over for around september next year but do you know of any web sites that woulcd be useful for finding work before I arrive?? I also have a HNC in building services engineering (elect) and have been working as an electrical engineer/project manager for a while. I know Electrical engineer is on CSL but I dont have my degree which is a problem!! any help is appreciated.

Neil

• 2 years later...
Guest julie333

hi Arthur,just wanted to pick ur brains.OH is 17th edition sparks-domestic,commercial,industrial.also site managed and qualified solar installer.we looking for 457 visa sponsership jobs in perth.any ideas where to look/what to do?would be so grateful for any advice. cheers julie

Archived