Advice: moving to Tassie

Guest Carrie

Hi

My husband and I are considering moving to Tasmania. Does anyone know what the job scene is like for teaching? We migrated to Oz 4 years ago and have tried Adelaide, the bush in SA, the bush in QLD and now the Sunshine Coast. I'm a primary school teacher but have only been able to get work in the Child Care sector, which I hate. The state system is barely penetrable, whilst the private sector remains dominated by Christian schools (which I am not). :arghh: Any advice would be most welcome. is it the same in Tassie? Are migrants given a 'fair go' in Tasmania or is it a case of locals come first?!??

Cheers

Caroline :spinny:

Hi Caroline'

Migrants are given a fair go. I would not think that there would be too much of a problem in getting a teaching job over here . We do have a number of Christian Schools over here but there are many which are not. It might help to give a few a phone call direct. I have listed a few state schools for you

Blackmans Bay Primary 03 62296637, Snug Primary 62679230 South Hobart Primary 62236040 Howrah Primary 62338090 Huonville Primary 62641064these are in the South of Tassie sorry I dont know of many in the North of the state. It might also be a good idea to get in touch with Anthony McHugh at the Department of Economic Development they have a relocation officer there not sure who at the moment as Joanna has recently moved on . They will help you all they can the office phone number is 03 62335888 . Just say to him that Sally asked you to phone.

If there is anything else just let us know

Sally

x

As you will probably know the States are all different and you have to be registered by the States Education Board. Have a look at this web site it may assist you.

Is not as easy as people think to get a teaching job and especially an ongoing one as there is a lot of contract only work around. The jobs tend to be in the country areas away from the cities.

Department of Education : Teaching in Tasmania

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi My wife and two children moved to Tassie (hobart) in January and it is very laid back and quite , we are very outdoor people and although it is lovely scenery down here i would not recommend moving if you like shopping and doing things with your children (if you have ) my children go to a public school and it is quite different from back in Scotland .

I would not encourage you to move unless you prfer the quite life .

Cheers

Douglas , Linda and the kids

PS. we are looking at moving to Brisbane in February ( job offer )

Hi Douglas.

I am moving to Hobart next year with my wife and two young kids. As far as the little ones go, are there any indoor soft play areas like we have in the UK. Also my kids love going to country shows to see all the animals and tractors etc etc. We have a lot of those kind of things around where we live in the UK. Do you know if there is anything similar in Tas?

Best wishes,

City boy.

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi

My wife , myself and two daughters moved down here in January , it is a lovely place but it lacks lots of amenities like soft paly areas and kids entertainment places , my 2 girls ar 9 and 7 , our reasons by wanting to move to Brisbane is it has a large choice of things to do , down in Tasmania (Hobart) it is very quiet and if you want to retire great place,I come from a fast paced environment a so it is a nightmare place after being used to city life.

everyone is different and maybe you will enjoy it but as i said it is no good for having lots of kids things , most people like camping and fishing as well as spending time at there shacks ..holiday huts !!! my wife and i are very sociable people and do have some freinds but it is quite a close knit place and difficuilt to interact with the locals.

i wish you well but not recommended to come if used to a busy life , ps what line of work are you in , i am sales and marketing manager and my wife is customer sevices for comm bank

douglas , Linda Gray

tassiedevil59@gmail.com

Hi Sally

Thanks ever so much for your detailed response. I'll give those numbers a go, but I also need to get my registration in Tassie. Do you know if they offer the reciprocal registration? I presume you are a Teacher also, are you Primary or Secondary?

Are there any social groups we could join? We haven't joined any groups here but would be interested in meeting up with other migrants.

Cheers

Caroline :0)

Thanks for that! Yes, it's the same here in QLD, that's why I haven't ventured anyhere near the state system. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Hi Douglas

Good luck with the move to Brisbane. We've been in QLD for 2.5 years, been to Brisbane many times, but only to visit and then glad to come away. We love it but could never live there - too big a city for us so maybe Hobart will be our cup of tea. Let us know if you need any advice etc. for your move....

Cheers

No I am not a teacher. Not sure I could do the job to be fair. Having spent most of my working life Managing Aged Care! We came over here on a business visa but I do get to speak to quite a few people over here both in the public and private schools.

I have been coming to Tassie for a number of years in fact 9 times before we finally were fortunate enough to get a visa to actually live here. It is the best thing we could have done both for Colin and myself but most important it was for my son. he was 16 at the time he is now18. He loves it over here . I only wish that we could have come over here when he was younger. Coming from a market town in the Uk Milton Keynes was a few miles away and of course we had the shopping and the facilities that went with this size of place some 250,000 people. half the population of Tasmania! Do I miss it. not a chance. I love my life over here, there is not wall to wall people, cars or the like. It may be quiet, there may be not as much shopping and bearing in mind that there is not that many people really the variety that it has got is really outstanding, Kingston where we live puts my home town to shame, it has a Sports Centre, Bmx track, Tennis Courts, Radio Controlled Car circuit, Horse Riding Swimming Pool, Childrens Play Centre, Fantastic new Medical Centre, 3 Dentists, X ray , Pathology , Chiropractors, 2 Golf Courses. to name but a few things . We have a wide circle of friends both migrants and locals. Tassie is what you make of it true we havent got a Disney world here or theme parks, that isnt Tassie, Tassie is comfortable, laid back, safe , clean, friendly, . I hope that you will be a happy as we are. and if we can be of any help then do let us know.

Sally

x

Guest Carrie

Hi Sally

Thanks for your friendliness and advice. We are currently on the Sunshine Coast, QLD and contemplating a move to Hobart. We've looked stuff up on the internet and it certainly looks exciting and intriguing. I just hope the teaching thing pays off as, up to now, my career as taken a severe nosedive. We are going home for 6 weeks and I can't wait ( M&S here I come! ). What does Colin do for a living? Is your son studying or working? Have you lived anywhere else in Oz?

Hi Caroline,

We are hoping to be in Tassie in the earlier part of next year.

Daniel Verdouw is the new development officer and his e-mail is daniel.verdouw@development.tas.au

Although I am not a teacher I hope to be working with the pre-schoolers when I arrive. I have been in contact with Vivienne Mitchell at the Department of Education, her e-mail is vivienne.mitchell@education.tas.gov.au. If she can't help I'm sure she can point you in the right direction. She was very helpful when I contacted her.

Good luck with everything.

Emma

:jiggy:

Guest Colin R

Hi Caroline,

I hope everything turns out Ok with you. Tassie certainly is a great place to live . Well we all love it . We havent lived anywhere else in Australia as Tasmania was always the place we wanted to move to. We really havent found many problems in moving over here in fact sometimes I worried that it had gone too smoothly and the bubble might burst. Our son started at the TAFE as soon as he got here on and Automotive course. He then got an apprenticeship at a VW garage he loves it which is so good . He only ever wanted to work with cars. it seems that he eats sleeps and drinks them!!!! As we always seem to have someones car on the driveway. Colin in fact was a policeofficer in the Uk and retired so we work together he delivers the flowers for me at the moment. I had to buy a business as I am on a business visa. So a florist sounded as good as anything. Anyway have a good trip back to the UK and happy M&S shopping!!!!

Sally

x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Colin R

Hi ,

There are sections in the supermarkets for Gluten Free products and many resturants cater for this too although it is a bit limited . Not that I need Gluten free but had a muffin the other day from the local deli and it wasnt bad!!!!

Sally

• 4 months later...
Guest youngbegby

Hi there, I was trawling the posts to see if anybody out there has had a similar dilemma to ourselves about moving down under. I'm over 60, but still keen to work, I'm an IT Director and management consultant with about twenty years experience across both. I already have a uk pension and savings to invest, perhaps in our own business. My partner is just fifty and a local government officer. We don't seem to fit into any of the general categories, but somehow nearly comply with many. The migration experts might be able to help, but how do you tell which one has any experience in this odd mix? We would welcome all contributions to trying to solve this one as we are quite keen to move. We went on holiday last year, just loved the place!

Guest Colin R

Hi there,

I think that there is an age limit ofr the business visa and it is 55 there are various visa with regard to investment depending on the finances that you have available. I came over on a business visa as I had a business in the Uk which fulfilled the criteria . We used Charles Camidge at inbib as our agent . Charles lives in Hobart and we found him to be very straight and not expensive. He is also a real estate agent in both business and homes. If you would like to PM me I will give you his contact details or if you go onto www.inbib.com and go to the links re Australia it should get to him.

You are right Tasmania is a great place I had been travelling backwards and forwards for many years and could only hope that one day we would get to live here. We have and would never go back to our old lives.

with best wishes

Sally

Archived