Moving to Hobart from the UK - suggestions?

Guest cabbagesahoy!

Guest cabbagesahoy!

Well my husband is originally from Sydney but Tasmania looks amazing so it looks like we are off to Hobart!

Any suggestions for

Removal people

Cat moving people

And questions -

Whats the 'arts' scene like?

What are some nice surburbs?

How much are fridge freezers? (!)

What's the shopping like? (clothes and food!)

Hi there

Your are right Tassie is amazing.But I suppose I am a little biased.

We used Brittainia to move all our things form the UK. I dont think that they were the cheapest but they wre very very good. We didnt have many breakages and comsidering the amount we had packed it wasnt bad at all.

We also brought 2 dogs with us we used Pinehawk Kennels and Livestock Shippers. Andy Wylie is the chaps name ansd it is in Newmarket. I will get the phone number out for you.

As for suburbs. We live in Kingston which is about 11kms from Hobart. Not far at all. Blackmans Bay is nice, Margate bit further out and a little more rural. As for the Hobart Suberbs. there is Sandy Bay ( expensive) Tarroona, South Hobart (lots of older style houses very nice) Mount Stuart, North Hobart, personally like all of these. The Eastern Shore offers some nice places too. Bellerieve, Howrah, Tranmere, Lindisfarne, Rose Bay to name a few.

Super food over here very good resturants, Food shopping is good too we have many small retailers butchers , greengrocers, bakers etc not to mention the large outlets. Bit more expensive than the mainland but then we are an island and most things have to be freighted in so you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Clothes are Ok ther are some really smart boutiques in Hobart and chain stores. Myers etc. I havent had a problem with finding clothes neither has OH or our 18 year old son. Fridge freezers I will have to check as we bought ours a couple of years ago now and I think that was about $1700 . Harvey Normans have a web site and so does Clive Peters so you should get a bit of an idea from them.'

The 'arts scene' is certainly alive and well over here and growing it seems all the time. If you take a look at the web site www.tchange.com.au it gives you an idea of what goes on over here and gives links .

best wishes

Sally

x

Hi .

I visited Hobart in May on a reccie and was impressed, very clean, safe and looks like agood place to live, if a little quiet compared to bigger cities in Oz, a good place to bring up kids it appears. We will be moving out to the KINGBOROUGTH REGION, which includes Kingston, Blackmans Bay. Sally and Colin are poms living out there with a wealth of knowledge about the place. On my visit there were art showings in Battery Point with with wine quaffers discussing the various points. Not my scene but available if you like that sort of thing. My OH is into the arts and theatre, so we will be on the look out once we are settled. Sandy Bay and Taroona were nice with schools and University near by. I was also looking at Melbourne, but having visited, I feel Hobart and Tas can offer the lifestyle we want .

Hope this helps,

Regards,

CITYBOY.

Archived