What can i take in the container ??

Guest Dougie & Louise

Guest Dougie & Louise

OK

I,m hoping this could get answered pretty quickly

As it says in the title really i have had a good luck around on here but canny find a definitive answer,

I know i cannot sneek little people or masses of contraband but is there a list of what you are allowed and not allowed to ship over??

What type of things did you take and what did you get denied with??

Did any of you get caught with out that you shouldn't have had but did or didn't realise??

Dougie

Guest Dougie & Louise

BUMP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sorry but come on guys please steer me in the right direction the bread knife is givin me grief over this one !

I.m pretty sure you can take what you like but i am open to experiences aqnd views???

TIA

Dougie

Ok you can take most things, off hand what i can remember is that you cannot take

Wicker, dirty stuff i.e. the do not recommend say your lawn mower unless its dirt and grass free

you cannot take untreated wood (cant take my table)

What is that you want to take and we can try and let you know if its ok, that may be easier

Good luck with your answers

Hi Dougie

If you get some shippers round for a quote they will let you know what you can and can't take.

basically as has been said, no untreated wood, plants or anything made out of plant material - so no bamboo, grass skirts etc nothing that may harbour wee beasties or diseases

Our shippers said no to a box of food but my Sis in Oz spoke direct to customes and they said it would be fine as long as it did not contain any forbidden items such as fruit and veg, dairy, nuts seeds etc

So we have a box with tea bags 1000's LOL marmite 6 huge tubs, Dairy milk choc, gingernut biscuits and Bisto, I have not added my bits yet!

We are not taking our lawn mower - too fiddly to get clean or any garden tools

I have scrubbed and disinfected with Jeyes fluid all our shoes and garden furniture, and bikes

hope this helps

Karen

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

We brought absolutely everything. Wicker chairs and baskets, garden furniture/statues, bikes, beds, sofas, crockery, horse hair rocking horse, leather jackets you name it we brought it (apart from the kitchen sink).

I guess stuff like gas bottles are not allowed but we brought our camping stoves and the packers didn't remove the propane cylinders and they came through ok.

Oh and plants are a definite no no.

The only proviso is ,it has to be cleaned. No problem for the internal stuff, but patio furniture, bikes and statues had to be washed down before they go. But is saves having to rebuy it here.

cbr...

I think sometimes its pot luck ,some containers are checked and im sure some arent ,the rule of thumb is everything must very clean and free of dirt,mud etc ,garden stuff,shoes,outdoor toys everything really,anything thats been in contact with animals may be pulled for fumigation especially horse gear.Tools must be dirt and grime free ,a hot engine wash is the best way to get them clean or as Karen says Jeyes fluid.untreated wood is also frowned upon if found in your container,not forgetting pine cones on xmas decorations,they really dont like them,lol.Good luck your shippers will be a good guide for you

Cal x

Guest Dougie & Louise

Thanks for your help guys,

Pretty much what i had thought to be honest but the missus was not too sure and we just wanted to clarify a few points up that was all be we too will be taking all bar the kitchen sink to be fare,

What ever will fit in the container that we are going to have to get anyway for some bigger things and clothes bedding etc etc

We have nearly £2000 worth of bikes so to replace them would pay for the container alone!

Then by the time we have stuck a TV and surround sound system in it just seems pointless to buy stuff in OZ that we already have in good working order here :skeptical:

And anyway i would rather have a few nice home conforts to take maybe even my favourite reclining leather sofa!

Thus saving on new purchases and leaving the $$$ for fun stuff like

cars

boats

M/bikes

Caravan's

and a whole lot more that we cannot take but would really like to get or re-place.

Again Thanks

Dougie :notworthy:

may sound totally silly but am i right in thinking that your car cannot go into the same container, or can it. I found all this very helpful too, just started thinking about shipping stuff out, any thoughts on who are the best to hire for household shipments and what sort of cost would i be looking at.

Guest Dougie & Louise

Yes you can take a car if you wish and it can go in the same container but i have a 4x4 land rover that i do alot of off roading in and will never ever get all the mud out of all the nuts and crannys ,

And so they would charge me on arrival in OZ to steam clean it $500 ish that along with the $1000 ish that it would cost me to get it there then get it assed as road worthy etc etc

I copuld have bought a different one over there off E-bay or the like where i have been looking and get a new one to tinker with that has got zero rust on it !!:jiggy:

Dougie

Also if you car is worth alot of money you have to pay LCT luxuary car tax on it again more cons to add into the equasion

Guest missymon
I think sometimes its pot luck ,some containers are checked and im sure some arent ,the rule of thumb is everything must very clean and free of dirt,mud etc ,garden stuff,shoes,outdoor toys everything really,anything thats been in contact with animals may be pulled for fumigation especially horse gear.Tools must be dirt and grime free ,a hot engine wash is the best way to get them clean or as Karen says Jeyes fluid.untreated wood is also frowned upon if found in your container,not forgetting pine cones on xmas decorations,they really dont like them,lol.Good luck your shippers will be a good guide for you

Cal x

Hi Cal,

I think I read on another thread somewhere that we are not aloud to take candles into Oz. Is that correct? I have 100's of them lol....some I bought when we came over to Oz last year...could I bring those in?

Regards

Monica

Guest missymon
Hi Cal,

I think I read on another thread somewhere that we are not aloud to take candles into Oz. Is that correct? I have 100's of them lol....some I bought when we came over to Oz last year...could I bring those in?

Regards

Monica

Oops ...sorry can't spell....should have put allowed not aloud ! LOL:goofy:

Guest cbr1100XX
Hi Cal,

Regards

Monica

Hi

We brought candles into Oz. My wife had lots or scented ones and the obligatory 400 tiny ones from Ikea.

cbr...

Archived