1st July Read This Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

taffordbark

The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations have finally responded to lobbying from the MIA in relation to a replacement for "Pathway D".

The exact nature of the new pathway has not yet been determined and the MIA will be formally consulted next week as DEEWR is working to a tight timetable that aims to have the new pathway introduced from 1 August 2008.

I will report to members after those consultations but I would be very surprised if the new arrangements continued to place heavy emphasis on evidence of skills based on employer references. I expect that the consultation will focus on practcal issues around a new pathway that might give recognition to prior learning, formal qualifications, guild membership, trade licences, government or educational institutional recognition of skills, etc.

The MIA will put forward suggestions about how trade skill recognition could be broadened so that Australia resumes accepting skilled tradespeople whose expertise is based on their experience. This will include suggesting that such applicants be given the option of demonstrating their skills through a skill-testing arrangement.

In short, there are good prospects for a new pathway soon but it is likely to be onee that is quite different from the previous "Pathway D"

MIA Ltd

Archived