Mosquito

Guest helenmaguire

Guest helenmaguire

Ok,

we are between Perth, Brisbane and Sydney for our move next year.

However a major factor would be the mosquito situation as I break out in awful lumps when bitten!

So what is the situation in Sydney area and which areas have the least problem regarding them?

Thanks,

Helen

Sorry cant help you, but if you type mosquito into the search engine then I am sure that there will be some answers for you, especially on some Vitamins to take, to keep them away

Good luck

Guest jonseywife

There are lots of lotions and potions out here for those little buggers. I hate them and they love me, I always get bitten!!

If you want a more natural approach than the chemical sprays you can buy I make some up in a little bottle pump spray, of Almond oil, eucalyptus, citonella and lavender oil for my daughter, as she has asthma and the other sprays are a bit harsh and make her chest bad. Vitamin B1 is meant to be good too.

Guest Guest12551

hi there, i too get bitten something awfull, i come out in huge lumps and have been known to be bitten 30-40 times a day( not good on a 2 week holiday in turkey... u do the maths ...lol) anyway i have found that a quick spray of AVON SKIN SO SOFT works superb..... last time i was in turkey i only got 3 bites and was in OZ and had none at all.. u can only get it from a AVON rep so im told, my wife buys it for me... good luck john, marie and kids

Mozzies are endemic to Australia so chances are that if you live anywhere here you are going to get bitten. I have never yet found anything which confuses the mozzie so much that she chooses to bite my DH instead of me - they unerringly head my way no matter what!. You have to be very careful about closing the fly wire screens on your doors and make sure that the fly wire on your windows is intact. Try not to have any standing water in the near vicinity (garden tubs etc) or they will breed locally. You are probably at less risk in the centre of a big city than you are further out in the suburbs but, even so, the little buggers can still find you if you are a mozzie magnet. You could try daily doses of vitamin B, they say it works, or you can buy expensive "dont bite me" bands for your wrists which are impregnated with citronella or something.

Actually, it isnt the big itchy lumps that they leave you with that is the problem - Australia also has some particularly nasty mozzie borne diseases, the most common of which is Ross River Fever and you do not want to get that! At least we dont have malaria any more (and they didnt get that in Sydney anyway) and you have to be further north for Dengue.

Mozzies are endemic to Australia so chances are that if you live anywhere here you are going to get bitten. I have never yet found anything which confuses the mozzie so much that she chooses to bite my DH instead of me - they unerringly head my way no matter what!. You have to be very careful about closing the fly wire screens on your doors and make sure that the fly wire on your windows is intact. Try not to have any standing water in the near vicinity (garden tubs etc) or they will breed locally. You are probably at less risk in the centre of a big city than you are further out in the suburbs but, even so, the little buggers can still find you if you are a mozzie magnet. You could try daily doses of vitamin B, they say it works, or you can buy expensive "dont bite me" bands for your wrists which are impregnated with citronella or something.

Actually, it isnt the big itchy lumps that they leave you with that is the problem - Australia also has some particularly nasty mozzie borne diseases, the most common of which is Ross River Fever and you do not want to get that! At least we dont have malaria any more (and they didnt get that in Sydney anyway) and you have to be further north for Dengue.

If its any consolation its only me out of a family of 5 that gets bit. I put it down to my lovely pure tasty blood! Perhaps we decend from the royals and have blue blood or something. Seriously though its weird. We went to Bulgaria last year and I still have scars to prove it. My Hubby and kids not a mark! We used the same sun tan lotion etc but no just me. I also get bitten by gnats and every other critter thats going so I am starting to wonder. I get prickly heat when out in the sun too long to I wonder if its linked because again its only me who suffers!

You could try daily doses of vitamin B, they say it works, or you can buy expensive "dont bite me" bands for your wrists which are impregnated with citronella or something.

My OH rarely gets bitten so I suffer on his behalf. I usually get left with huge swellings (I'm not exaggerating either. I have yet to try the vit B but I do have the don't bite me bands. You can get them from Rays Outdoors and other camping shops and I reckon recycling them is a good idea - leave them in a glad bag for a day or so with citronella oil! I also have a good hyrocortisone (spelling???) cream from the doctors for when the inevitable does actually happen and this does ease the swelling and itching.

Felicity:cute:

Guest loobyloo

Oh, dont worry, I was just like that with them too, but with the help of a mozzie keyring - about $20 online which gives off a high pitch sound that the female mossies hate (they are the ones that bite) I am gradually becoming immune. I have been here 4 years. Still get the one bad bite per summer season, but thats it. Winter is fine.

Guest Rickard Family
hi there, i too get bitten something awfull, i come out in huge lumps and have been known to be bitten 30-40 times a day( not good on a 2 week holiday in turkey... u do the maths ...lol) anyway i have found that a quick spray of AVON SKIN SO SOFT works superb..... last time i was in turkey i only got 3 bites and was in OZ and had none at all.. u can only get it from a AVON rep so im told, my wife buys it for me... good luck john, marie and kids

Hi

this is good to know, my mother in law had told me this before and i thought "as if"

so watch out avon!!...i'm gonna start stocking up now:twitcy:

lou.

Guest OldiesRUs

We always buy SOOV when we are out there. Best thing we have ever found for all kind of bites - and anything and everything bites my OH.

Jean:wubclub:

Guest ellie2
A good remedy to stop itching after a bite is to rub toothpaste on the bite.

Another good way to stop the itching is to put on a towel with as hot as you can stand water directly to the bite that tends to take away the itching for mozzie bites, also be aware of the midges they are even worse than the mozzies, they are so small you caln't even see the buggers but they dont half leave a sore bite.

I must start taking the vitamin B6 everyone says that works.

Never mind the snakes and spiders they dont worry you, as you hardly ever see them, its the bloody mozzies and midges that are a real pain:arghh:

Christine

Archived