Best place to live around North Ryde?

Guest Burn01

Guest Burn01

Hello all,

I've been offered a job with a 457 visa working at Macquarie Park North Ryde. I'm planning on taking the job and moving to Oz within the next few months. Very scary as I've never worked outside the UK. Which suburb would be the best place to live? I'm still in my early thirties so I would like to live somewhere where I would have a good social life. Is it best to look for somewhere in & around North Ryde or would I be better living in city central and commuting? I would really appreciate any help.

Many thanks.

Guest Phatgecko

Hi

I have just moved to Sydney 5 weeks ago from London and my office is also in Macquarie Park. I would suugest living in the North Shore area (St Leonards, Crows Nest, North Sydney) its only 30 mins to work on the bus in the morning and 10 mins on the train to the city centre. They are building a train line to Macquarie Park at the moment soon (they say opened Nov 08) so then you will be able to train it to work from North Shore or the City.

Other good place ive been told is Balmain where a lot of my friends ive made who work in macqaurie park live - which is to the west of the city - they all drive so not sure how public transport is from there.

hope that helps - any questions then drop me a line.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Burn01

Hi phatgecko

Many thanks for the info, great help. I'd of replied earlier but been on vacation in Europe with friends. One last vacation before the move. The train line to Macquarie Park will make life heaps easier I'm sure. St Leonards, Crows Nest etc all sound & look good and 30mins by bus and 10mins to city centre sounds good too. Balmain does look good and I've heard it's great around there but thought it might be too much of a commute. How long does it take your friends to drive to work from there?

I know it hasn't been long but have you settled in yet and have you made the move on your own or with family? I'm making the move on my own so it's a bit scary for me. New job and new life is exciting though.

Archived