Has anyone been declined for spouse(defacto) visa?

Guest faye

Guest faye

My partner and I are currently in the process of getting together evidence of our relationship so we can apply for the visa. Has anyone been declined for this visa and if so, why? I am really just after reasons why people have had their visa declined so we don't make the same mistakes and get ours approved.

Thanks

Hi faye,

I have never known this to happen (got i hope it never does) but can you imagine the problems it could bring if an aussie citizen or pr of oz was sponsoring his wife/husband etc - guess it would be like saying to the aussie you can live in oz but your wife/hubby can't, geezzz it don't bare thinking about !!!

good luck, im sure you WILL be fine

stuju

Guest faye

Thanks Stuju, I guess I'm just worried because we're applying for a defacto visa rather than being married so I want to make sure I include every single bit of info I possibly can that is relevant since we don't have a marriage certificate. Where on the Central Coast are you? thats where we are hoping to move to since my partner is from there.

Hi Faye

I have just had a defacto visa granted - Thankfully! So am unable to answer your question but thought i'd let you know what i included with my application in the hope this helps you.

A variety of bank statements going back over the last 5 odd years (some in joint names, and some not), a few car insurance certificates showing both names, travel itineraries from travel agents showing both our names, flight boarding passes, wedding invitations to both of us, thankyou cards addressed to both of us. We didn't have any bills in both our names but some of my sole bank statements showed bills paid by me. I didn't go mad and send heaps of stuff but a moderate variety. I know some people send photos too but i didn't.

Probably one of the most important things is your relationship statement (or the Mills & Boon love story as we like to call it!). We both wrote one individually (about a page and a half long) sticking to facts and including dates for various things ie when we moved in together etc.

Also had two stat decs written by Australian Citizens. Again, i know some people include British Citizen stat decs from friends and family but i didn't.

I was granted a temporary visa. I think you have to prove 5 years of living together for the permanent one but i only had 4 and a half years proof. I know if we had waited just a little longer before applying we could have got this but wanted to get on with it and it's fine to have the temp one and get reassessed again in 2 years for the perm.

Sorry for the long winded reply and wish you luck.

C

:smile:

I dont know the answer to your question but wish you all the best with it. I did wonder what would have happened had I answered 'yes' to the one (and only) question they asked me at my interview for a spouse visa (many many years ago) - "have you ever been in an institution for the criminally insane". I had, actually, as a psychologist! but I wasnt going to joke around at that point, I knew what he meant!!!! With an Aussie husband and an Aussie baby and 5 years together I thought I was home and dry but I still wondered about that question.

Thanks Stuju, I guess I'm just worried because we're applying for a defacto visa rather than being married so I want to make sure I include every single bit of info I possibly can that is relevant since we don't have a marriage certificate. Where on the Central Coast are you? thats where we are hoping to move to since my partner is from there.

Hi Faye,

Your welcome, i have a friend (he's 60something) and he applied for his defacto on shore (in oz) and obtained it no worries, i aslo applied for my spouse visa onshore which was a breeze. just include stat decs from peeps in the uk and oz if possible, any joint club memberships,insurances,bank a/c,mortgage papers/rent papers,holidays,fligt tickets,concert tickets,cards to you jointly,letters,etc etc,

it will be fine.

We are in Terrigal nr Gosford, hubby has lived in this area since 1989 approx and he has been a citizen of oz since 1994.

Do pm me if you need any further help or if you come over for a look around come & join us for a beer

all the best

stuju :cool:

Guest Pandy12

Dear Cookie Crew

Hello i have just read your post about getting your defacto visa- congratulations!

Your situation is very similiar to ours even the proof of evidence that we are going to submit seems similiar, although i do not think we have the thank you in card joint names!!!! It was good to read that you were successful in getting your visa though and we are like you too in that we don't want to have to wait the full 5 years before we go, we have been together just over 4.

Would you mind me asking you how did you tackle the question 'regarding assurance of support?'

thanks for your help and good luck with your new life in the sun

Best wishes

Pandy

Guest KirstyM

Hello Faye,

I don't think there will be a problem at all.

I am over here on a spouse visa, as the defacto of a New Zealand citizen. Mine was processed in 6 weeks flat with no hassles whatsoever.

We'd only been living together for 18 months when it was processed (he'd come over to UK on a backpacker visa so we could achieve that). Also, we had limited proof of our joint finances as the house and mortgage were in my name, Duncan could not get a bank account, and he was working for my home based business and being paid his UK tax free allowance only.

We sent off a few joint credit card statements, proof of a joint savings account (which I had to yell at the bank to get), a letter from an old boss of mine saying how long he'd known us, a few receipts from various holidays we'd been on together, a couple of wedding invites in both our names, and about a dozen pictures of us together.

Visa granted! No questions, no worries. I couldn't believe how quickly it came back. 2 weeks after my medical went through to them. I didn't need an interview either, but I think that had to do with it being a 461 visa which is a temporary 5 year visa which can simply be repeatedly renewed.

You'll have no problems at all, I am sure. Good luck!

Kirsty

Guest Bonniebuster

HI

This has been a really useful thread. I have a question how long are spouse visa's taking? my OH sent his medicals police clearance and they were received on 16th April 08, also how will he be noified.

Thanks in anticipation

Bonnie

Pandy12 i have pm'd you.

Bonniebuster, my visa was approved within 4 weeks! - and i was notified by email from case officer asking me to send passport to her for having the visa put in it and telling me when had to be in Oz by for vallidating.

c

:smile:

Guest gemmahey
Belated CONGRATULATIONS Gemmahey! it's a great feeling isn't it!!

:-)

:jiggy:GREAT FEELING! THANK YOU, CONGRATULATIONS TO U TOO:jiggy:

Guest gemmahey
I WANT MY VISA NOW!!!!!!:arghh:

I reckon this next week u will be posting your 'GRANTED'

thread!!!

Good Luck Can't wait to read it Xx:wubclub:

Archived