Good Dog Kennels near Hobart, Tasmania

Guest sparkymajura

Guest sparkymajura

Hi Everyone

I have been a member for a while but have never posted so here goes!

My husband and I migrated from Preston, Lancs 6 1/2 yrs ago and have lived in various parts of Melbourne until now. Due to various issues with Melbourne, that have deteriorated over the last few years and with no sign of improvement, we decided we were ready for a change of slower paced scenery. We are sick of the traffic, terrible train service and the huge increase in people over the last 3 years! :wacko:And we are off to Hobart in two months or so! :jiggy:My husband has been offered a good management job with Aurora Energy and starts in 8 weeks, however we need to sell our house in Parkdale Melbourne first, and I need to work 8 weeks notice at work, so I may follow on with our pooch Sparky a couple of weeks later.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good dog kennels near Hobart? I have had a quick look online and did not have much luck. We are staying in temporary non dog friendly accommodation for our first month or so, and I would like to be able to put him up somewhere nearby so we can visit and walk him every day! In fact, a dog carer would be perfect, but I think that would be even harder to find.

I am sure I will have more questions down the line, such as hints on housing, employment (me), shops, climate etc. We have done lots of research already and been to Tassie 3 times now, but you can never tell till you live somewhere, so we are gonna give it a go!

Thanks in advance!

Mandy, Dave n Sparky!

Guest Colin R

Hi Mandy

Will find out tomorrow about the kennels there is one and I am sure that it is run by a retired vet cant quite remember the name but it is out Cambridge way.where are you going to be staying ? Will get in touch with our friends who board their dog when they go on holiday. There are some great walks on Severn Mile Beach and 5 mile beach both near Cambridge. Will be in touch tomorrow

Sally

Guest Colin R

hi there Mandy

Havefound a couple of places 1) Best Friends Kennels and Cattery it is at Acton Park which is between Laudedale and Cambridge on the EAstern Shore it is very close to the beachwhich is great for walking the dog. our 3 love it there. Will your husband be working at the new Aurora complex in Cambridge isf so very close to this.phone number is 03 62486323 web site is Best Friends

2) Shelomith apparently 5*!! this is also at Acton Park and supposed to be very good their phone number is 03 62485283 web address Shelomith Canine Country Club and Cattery 30 there is also one near Kingston which is Belcarres retreat its at allens Rivulet quite a way out if you are going to be living on the East Side of the river but good if you are over Kingston area phone numer 62396370 it is owned by terry and Ruth Cullicot and they are dog judges they have a very good reputation it seems locally no web site though .

If I can be of any help let me know

Sally

Guest sparkymajura

Thanks a lot for the great advice! I reckon Shelomith is the one we may book with, it looks fabulous on the website. We are staying in Hobart city for the first month, as my husband is based at Aurora in Hobart CBD and they are providing us some temporary accommodation. Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your post, it is bedlam here at the moment, we are getting our house restumped, new kitchen installed and various other renovations so it's complete chaos! We are trying to get our house ready for sale by early/mid July, not sure if it will come off but we are giving it every effort! Thanks again for all your help. I am sure I will have more questions to ask further down the line! Cheers, Mandy.

Guest Colin R

No worries. Hope everything turns out OK and house sells quickly . I hate being in a mess but its all in a good cause!!!!

Sally

• 1 month later...

Hello. I would agree that Shelomith is your best bet locally - I have heard nothing but great reports. Balcarres is also fantastic though and they have lots of room for the dogs to run around. Just thought I'd let you know that there are pet sitters about though - I'm one of them! I run At Home Pet Sitters (At Home Pet Sitters - Servicing Southern Tasmania) so when you're settled in with the pooch and go on holiday - we might be an option for you. Good luck with the move!

Guest Colin R

Hi Ska

Thats good to know we are in Kingston . Never put our dogs in kennels in the UK and always had someone come to home. How do you fancy looking after 2 spoilt Jack Russells and a mad Labradoodle sometime?. Hopefully we will get away soon so I'll keep your details. If your passing the shop ( Florist in Channel Court) drop some business cards off if you like.

Safe trip home

Sally

Hi Sally,

2 Jack Russels and a Labradoodle sounds fine - I love dogs of all flavours! Just getting ready to fly back tomorrow.... I will drop in sometime in the next few weeks and drop off some cards for you. Look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Christina

Archived