Current 457 processing times

Guest shopping jo jo

Guest shopping jo jo

Hello,

What are the current processing times for the 457?

We had our medicals and x-rays done this week and are due to be couriered out on Friday. Our visa application and supporting paperwork is already with our migration officer in Australia, ready to lodge.

What is a realistice timescale?

Thanks for any advice given.

Jo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

just seen your post and i cant really say for sure but feom reading other posts in the past it seems 457 visa's take anything between 6 and 12 weeks, most say 12 weeks. My mum has been advised by her sonsor employer it could take up to 16 weeks?

Sorry cant help more, but this should push you back to the top.

Good Luck

I'm going through the 457 process too - our lawyer has advised that it takes about 12 weeks but can be sooner depending on the case officers workload. Once your visa has been authorised I think you officially have a year to go out there, though I'm sure any employer who is sponsoring one of us via the 457 route will not wait a year! When are you planning to go out there and what do you do? We are hoping to be out there for Sept but we have to sell our house first, luckily my new employer is being really nice and doesn't mind waiting a few months. Just hoping the house sells soon!

Guest shopping jo jo

It's my husband that has been offered a job, Project Manager/Quantity Surveyor with an international construction company. We are going out to Sydney!

What about you?

Jo

HI jo

We have received our 457 visa really quickly. Application was lodged on 25 March 2008 and granted on 23 April 2008, we are going to Queensland.

My head is still spinning from the speed in which it was granted.

good Luck

Erma

Guest dazla

Jo

I have heard of a few people having their visa through in about 4 - 5 weeks. As long as the x-rays are OK and all paper work in order it doesn`t take long at all. I`ve beed told my my migration agent that my 457 visa should take no more than 6 weeks

Daz

Guest dazla

Jo

I've applied for a 457 visa and have been told by my migration agent that I only need an x-ray, not a medical. Is this correct as I've noticed from your post that you've had a medical as well as an x-ray done?

Daz

Guest shopping jo jo

That's right and you are correct too. I'm training to be a nurse that is why and our children have medicals not x-rays. My husband just had an x-ray. He is the main applicant.

Jo

It took us 5 weeks to get our 457 visa through. My husband is the main applicant and is a quantity surveyor. We are heading to Melbourne in one month and have a list as long as my arm still to do :smile: Good luck!

Guest violetm

Our 457 Visa Application was lodged by our migration agent in Australia on 3rd April. My husband's employer said it would take 1-2 weeks! :skeptical: We had our x-rays done on 7th April and couriered to Sydney arriving 10th April. We've heard nothing since.:no:

I've read elsewhere that a lot can depend on the office your application is lodged. Ours was done through Canberra, even though we're going to Perth. Can anyone shed any light on whether Canberra is quicker or not?

House is on the market (but we'll probably need to rent it out). We've had the shipping quotes but don't know when to book them for. Husband's three month notice is almost up, so soon to be jobless! Dog is booked into Quarantine on 12th June, but we haven't a clue when (or if) we'll be going!

We've taken to keeping the laptop in the bedroom so as soon as we wake up we can check the emails. And now it's the weekend again and we should be pleased, but instead we're thinking it's a long time till Monday morning to check the emails again!:arghh:

Have we lost the plot?:unsure:

Hi All

We're going to Melbourne next month all through my husband's work.

The company he works for is global and they've been a great help.

Our 457 visas came in less than 5 weeks which was amazing!!

I had a medical done (as I work with kids) and my kids had medicals plus me and hubby had x-rays. As long as everything is in order, things seem to go quite smoothly.

Now, we've got less than 10 days to go, an empty house and a lot of sad family members :-(

Good luck with your visa.

Guest shopping jo jo

You haven't lost the plot at all......it makes me feel normal! Remember it is a bank holiday weekend in Oz - Anzac Weekend, so most businesses will not be back until Tuesday.

I have been told all along 4-8 weeks and in some cases 12, so 1-2 weeks is very hopeful. Stay patient, but easier said than done I know. I think I have grown use to living in a state of quandry at the moment not knowing what the next month or month after that holds - but then at times I get so fed up I wonder why we are putting ourselves through it. As everyone feels I'm sure I am overwhelmed with how much needs to be sorted out and arranged - but until the visa comes through you can't do half of it. My husband is also on a 3 month notice period and though the company have said not to resign until the 457 comes through they also want him out there asap - but that could be 6 months if the visa takes 12 weeks. Confusing and frustrating!

Jo

Hi shopping jo-jo and other fellow 457's

Dfferent state for us...we are off to Brisbane, I'm in recruitment so have a job lined up with a company in the CBD.

Does anyone know if there are any limitations on the household kit you can ship over if you are on a 457? I have read that things that have grass on them like bikes, golf clubs and garden furniture would all have to be professionally steam cleaned otherwise they will prob not get through customs and then they would charge you for this anyway, before they would allow them to get into the country.

Other than that are you allowed to take as much or as little as you like? I am currently getting shipping costs to see how much is worth taking over - I know some peopple take hardly anything as they start afresh out there, but I want to take quite a few things as I think it may help us settle in quicker if we have familiar things around us....plus I don't think I could actually afford to start again from scratch and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of buying it all!

Are most people planning to apply for residency after 2 years or are you just doing the 457 contract and then planning to come home? If all goes ok we want to apply for residency but I think it is quite costly...a few thousand $'s. Does anyone know if it is an easy process to get through?

Guest violetm

Hi shopping jo jo,

You've made me feel so much better!:smile: ANZAC Day! Of course! We were trying to contact our migration agent on Friday, as well as Byford Quarantine (to see if we can change Boo's quarantine date), and couldn't get hold of anyone. Felt like we were being ignored. But they were all having a day off! And now it's nearly Monday morning and checking email time again!

I know how you feel. Husband leaves job at end of May. The Australian company want him there asap. However, I have tickets to see Whitesnake here on two nights mid-June, and am desperate to see them!!! So in one way we don't want to go till mid June, but we can't start doing rounds of last visits and making final plans till we've got visa. Although if visa comes soon we may feel pressured to going before I can get a chance to see David Coverdale strut his stuff one last time!!!:swoon:

The worst thing is the waiting, not knowing, and not being able to plan - when there is just SO MUCH needing planned!!

There have been days in the last week when we've both genuinely thought "Why are we putting ourselves through all this?"

Roll on a new week, and hopefully we'll have some (good) news soon.

Guest markt225

Hi, I applied for the 457 last August and it was granted by 5th October, but I have colleagues that seem to have waited 12 weeks or more since then. I only had a chest xray not a full medical which I believe I have to get done when I apply for the full residency (de-facto) visa.

Mark

Guest The Stevenses

Hi Jo

We had our visa application lodged at immigration on Feb 18 and it took exactly 6 weeks and two days to come through. Our chest xrays and medicals were done in the first week of March.

We arrived in Sydney on 16 April and are just getting used to it a bit!!

Good luck with it all!!

Jo (Yes, another one!)

Jo

Guest shopping jo jo

Jo

How are you getting? Hows the settling in period going? Is it easier than you imagined or worst than you had anticipated?

Jo

Guest violetm

OK,

Finally managed to speak to our agent in Perth this morning, and got the following information:

Application was lodged online - 3rd April

Health requirements finalised - 15th April

They've told us that at the moment applications are taking about 8 weeks, but the odd ones are coming through at 5 weeks.

This is only week 4 for us, so we still have a bit to go. Fingers crossed it comes soon, as the dog is booked to fly on 11th June, and we really need to book the shippers for the first week in June. Can't do that until we have a visa though ... :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Guest Sharon & Mike

Hi, we had Xrays 3rd March, Children had Meds 7th March, all paperwork couriered to Aus 10th March Visas received 8th and 9th April. Husband is on a sponsored 457 visa as an IT Project Manager and we will be moving to Perth, hope this helps.

Sharon

Guest violetm

Our application was submitted exactly 4 weeks ago today. So far, no visa :sad:

Fingers crossed, next week will bring some good news.

• 2 years later...
Guest hoping29

my husband employer sponsored us (457 visa) our papers have been lodged march 9, 2010 but still waiting for what?

Guest hoping29

Me and my kidz papers have been lodged on March 9, 2010 completely! But still waiting for what???....from Philippines...........................................................................................my hubby is already in Perth City - Northam.......

Archived