remaining relative or not

Guest planky

Guest planky

Hi, can anybody clarify this:

My family are going to Australia (obviously) but need to understand the remaining relative visa as its so confusing:

My son is independant and cannot go on our visa, he is from 1st marriage.......

he will be my last remaining relative in UK if we go without him...but does this count?

OR

because his Dad is in UK, is my son classed as having close relatives here and not allowed to use this visa?

Please help!!!!

Guest Scardycat

Think you will find that your son is the one who shouldn't have any relatives here, read of a case where someone got turned down because she had a half brother whom she hadn't seen in years and was living miles away from her.

Regards

Cat

Cat

Guest miss m
Think you will find that your son is the one who shouldn't have any relatives here, read of a case where someone got turned down because she had a half brother whom she hadn't seen in years and was living miles away from her.

Regards

Cat

Cat

yep scardy is right i think - have a look Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

There might be other options, is he eligible for a skilled visa, or could he get a temp sponsored one from an employer?? How old is he and what does he do for a living?

You need to ask Gollywobbler, she is the expert, Im sure she will know of a way to get him in!

Guest miss m

My family are going to Australia (obviously) but need to understand the remaining relative visa as its so confusing:

he will be my last remaining relative in UK if we go without him...but does this count?

OR

because his Dad is in UK, is my son classed as having close relatives here and not allowed to use this visa?

Please help!!!!

ooooo, is he under 25? have a look at this Child Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 101)

i wonder if this would be useful?

Guest karen111

OR

Please help!!!!

hiya

looks like there are quite a few of us having the same problem getting older kids to oz.

our son is 19 and although he has NVQ 2 & 3 in hotel and hospitality he doesn,t have the 5 yrs exp that he needs to aslo apply for the 175 that we have,

having spoken to go matilda (who seem quite happy and more than willing to give advice even if not actually managing a visa for you) they suggested that the only way to get him there really is on a Working holiday visa for 1 yr (you can extend for a further year if the visa holder undertakes 3 months fruit picking or sheep shearing) then after we are residents for the 2 yrs we can sponser him, although by the time we go he will only actually need a further 10 months exp to make him eligible for the 175.

also his aunty will only need to live in au for a further 4 months to enable her to be able to sponsor him. so we are lucky in that we will have a few options, but lots of people seem to have the problem of getting older kids there, surely immigration must realise how much of a problem this is for some people, why is there no real pathway yet to help this situation or is it that so many people are applying to go to oz it doesn,t matter to them ?

Guest planky

Hi , well I think I now know the options aren't going to change, it's either a WHMV and then be stumped after 2 year max or a student visa which I simply can't afford!

This may mean we just don't go at all, I will not leave my son behind on a permanent basis, I guess he'd have to get qualified and have 5 years experience to come over in his own right.......this is terrible, what am I supposed yo do. I feel like not bothering at all!!!

Do people just expect you to abandon your children? Maybe if he wasn't working and dependant on me i'd get him on my visa. Should I make him pack in his job?

20 years old or not, I just could not leave him, he would relapse back into his depression. What a good new start this would have been for him too, a new life and sunshine...just what the Dr ordered!!! But like everything else things are never straight forward!!!

To be honest I'm sick of thinking about it. It's turning an exciting time for our family into a negative experience!!!

Guest karen111

why can you not take him on WHV then renew after first year to a second year then once you have been there for 2 yrs as a permanent resident you can sponsor him yourself ? (or possibly find a work sponsor within this timeframe) it will prob mean he has to return to uk but it wouldn,t take that long if you got it organised so your application to sponsor would be ready to send off the day you have been there for 2 yrs...i know thats not ideal but an option worth exploring depending on how desperate to go to oz you are, or am i wrong and this isn,t a viable option, is there some rule to prevent this ?

i know where you,re coming from, we said the same thing... no way we would leave our son either, we already have to leave our eldest but she is so independant she is a totally different kettle of fish (is also nearly 23)

Guest Scardycat

Have you thought about getting your visa, go over and validate it, then you have 5 years, (not sure when that starts from) to actually go to Oz, that would give your son plenty of time to gain any experience, in the meantime you may find a quicker route for him, but without your visa you can't do anything. Hope that makes sense

regards and good luck

Cat

Guest planky
ooooo, is he under 25? have a look at this Child Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 101)

i wonder if this would be useful?

Hello hun, I have looked at this, he again would have to be a full time student for this option.....it seems to me that a young man who works and has never claimed benefit in his life is penalised for it, it is so unfair.

Thanks for trying though!! I've got to admit defeat I think!!!!

Guest miss m
Hello hun, I have looked at this, he again would have to be a full time student for this option.....it seems to me that a young man who works and has never claimed benefit in his life is penalised for it, it is so unfair.

Thanks for trying though!! I've got to admit defeat I think!!!!

Yeah but all you've got to do is get him in college full time for 12 months then prove he has been financially dependent on you for 12 months. Surely waiting one year to do that is better than sacrificing your dream altogether??:unsure:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alison

We have been over and over the ground about Glen, lovey.

Glen's natural father is named on Glen's birth certificate, is alive and is living in the UK. Therefore Glen will have a "near relative" in the UK. That rules out the Remaining Relative visa for Glen as I understand the stuff about it.

However, you have been told about a solicitor in Tasmania called Charles Camidge and Emigration Expert (or whatever the firm is called) have told you that Mr Camidge thinks Remaining Relative would be possible for Glen.

Right. If I were in your shoes, I would contact Mr Camidge direct and ask him whether he could make a Remaining Relative visa application succeed for Glen. Mr Camidge is registered with the MARA and his contact details are here:

Migration Agents Registration Authority=

There is no way he expects to be paid for spending 10 minutes on the phone to you answering this very simple question, so ring him up, I suggest.

A working holiday maker visa would enable Glen to spend up to two years in Oz but there is no guarantee that an employer would be willing to sponsor him for another visa thereafter.

If a wiling employer can be found, it might be possible for Glen to obtain a temporary subclass 457 visa but eventually one would want to upgrade that to an RSMS visa probably. Without a recognised qualification in a recognised skill, Glen would need to be able to claim exemption from the normal rules but please note what DIAC say about this:

Nominations for elementary clerical, sales and service workers, and labourers and related workers (ASCO major groups 8 and 9) would not meet the exceptional circumstances requirement.

Therefore Glen needs to start training for a trade which would get him into Australia as a skilled worker in his own right. He can do that training in the UK, but it will take longer before he could meet the qualifications and experience requirements needed for skilled migration to Oz.

Alternatively he could train in Australia instead. Since he would be able to work for 20 hours a week in term-time and for unlimited hours in the holidays, there is no reason why Glen should not be able to earn enough to pay for all or part of his course himself. After all, you would be providing him with free board and lodging, therefore a significant slice of his earnings should be available for putting towards his tuition fees, shouldn't they? The whole of the course does not have to be paid for up front. The colleges ask for the momey in advance each term, so you only have to raise enough for one term at a time.

I still think the best option for Glen would be a student visa provided that he is prepared to work hard when he is not studying and provided that he is prepared to stick at the course. If he dropped out of the course he would be required to leave Australia unless you were able to get him a Working Holiday Maker visa instead at that point.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest karen111

hi gill

hope you dont mind me highjacking this breifly, can i just clarify... if you wish to sponsor your child after being a PR for the 2 year period required, would the child still have to have skilled qaulifications and the 4/5 years period of experience required in their trade ?

Guest planky

Gill, yes I know I'm going round in circles but this is what my agent sent me today:

Glen is your remaining relative, presumably you have a divorced his father. Any court paperwork will be handy when applying for the remaining relative visa. It may be an idea at this stage to ascertain if Glen's natural father has any objections as this frequently crops up at some stage even though Glen is an adult and of age.

I am so dissapointed that they aren't trying to help me...conflicting information....the next paragraph tells me how to apply for his whmv!!!!!!

Eh?????

Should I really ask this other 'charles' guy? Should I ask Alan Collette?

Guest THE JONEZYS

Hi all.

We are in the process of sponsering our eldest son (21).

We are both his natural parents and both of his siblings are in Aus with us.

We have only been here 16 months, not yet 2!

We have been told this should not be a problem as long as we can prove we are settled in/comitted to, Aus, IE........jobs, cars, schools, they even asked about club membership, the fact the boys both play football and we have been to see Aus v the Argies play football. We have TFN's and Paul has an ABN, we have submitted tax returns and are in the process of building a house.

All of this has been deemed as evidence of our comittment, we will however have to get an Aus citizen to put up a $5000.00 bond for 2 years.

We have also been told that once the visa is lodged we can apply for a bridging visa so that my son doesn't have to keep leaving the country.

We are using Go Matilda as they have an office in Geelong........which is much cheaper on phone calls than ringing the UK!!

Good luck all.

Lesley

Guest karen111

did you say $50 thousand dollars ? would you still be required to put this amount up if you had been there 2 yrs and is every application required to put up this money ?

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, yes I know I'm going round in circles but this is what my agent sent me today:

Glen is your remaining relative, presumably you have a divorced his father. Any court paperwork will be handy when applying for the remaining relative visa. It may be an idea at this stage to ascertain if Glen's natural father has any objections as this frequently crops up at some stage even though Glen is an adult and of age.

I am so dissapointed that they aren't trying to help me...conflicting information....the next paragraph tells me how to apply for his whmv!!!!!!

Eh?????

Should I really ask this other 'charles' guy? Should I ask Alan Collette?

Hi Alison

I think it is pretty obvious that the people you have consulted have charged you a lot of money for little more than a DIY kit, frankly.

What difference is this "court paperwork" likely to make? Which document, specifically, do they think might assist?

I don't think they know what they are talking about to be honest. However, the people purporting to advise you in the UK are not Registered Migration Agents. The minute a question goes beyond bog-standard straightforward, they just want to pass the buck onto Charles Camidge and to charge you £1,400 for the privilege from everything you have told me. This thing is NOT the "We'll do everything for £285!!!! Honest!!" idea that it is cracked up to be if you ask me.

Personally I would bend the ear of the good Mr Camidge. He is an RMA and you have been told that he is also a solicitor. In that case, he ought to know what he is doing with this stuff, shouldn't he? Use Penny-a-Minute and it will hardly cost you a dime to get some proper advice direct from Mr Camidge, I would suggest. (The Penny-A-Minute code is: 0844 861 7878 - dial that and then dial the Australian number starting 0061.)

Best wishes

Gill

Guest JoanneHattersley

Alison,

What does your son think about it all? Does he know that you are giving up your dream to stay there with him? What if you give up your dream and in 6 months time he says "Mum Im moving away!!"

I would get your visa, validate it on a holiday with the family and then as another poster says , you have 5 years to move. Get your son working on his expereince NOW and your timeframes should be pretty right. You may still have to go before him if his VISA hits any complications or takes a while but surely that would be a small price to pay.

My mum went through hell when I said I was going. Ironically 3 years later I am her sponsor and she should be first in the q in July for a CPV!!!

There is always a way. The 457 is a way too. It will mean some serious leg work finding someone to sponsor him but a few months or a year of hard work will be worth it in the end!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lesley

The Assurer does not have to be an Australain Citizen. It is enough if he/she/they has/have Permanent Residence in Oz.

The AoS arrangements were simplified on 1st January 2008. Please see Alan Collett's news article about it:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

I don't know how long a Remaining Relative visa takes to process. It might be that by the time DIAC are ready to ask for the AoS to be organised, you would be able to Assure your son without needing to involve anyone else?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
hi gill

hope you dont mind me highjacking this breifly, can i just clarify... if you wish to sponsor your child after being a PR for the 2 year period required, would the child still have to have skilled qaulifications and the 4/5 years period of experience required in their trade ?

Hi Karen

Sponsor your child for which visa? If you mean a skilled independent subclass 176 family sponsored visa, your child would still have to satisfy the normal qualifications/experience criteria for it.

Remaining Relative is a Family Stream visa however and those do not involve skills at all.

The Assurance of Support is not required for the sc176 visa since 1st January 2008, by the way.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest planky

OK everyone, excuse me for being thick, dozy or whatever it is you all think but can I sponsor my son after I have had PR for 2 years?

Or am I going off on a tangent again...lol (as per usual)

please be gentle with me!!!!!

Guest Gollywobbler
OK everyone, excuse me for being thick, dozy or whatever it is you all think but can I sponsor my son after I have had PR for 2 years?

Or am I going off on a tangent again...lol (as per usual)

please be gentle with me!!!!!

Hi Alison

For a totally independent skilled subclass 175 visa, the applicant needs 120 points. For the family sponsored skilled 176 visa, only 100 points are needed.

I have absolutely zero idea how it works beyond this but hopefully other people can help.

Hugz, honey

Gill

xxx

Guest planky

Hi all.

We are in the process of sponsering our eldest son (21).

We are both his natural parents and both of his siblings are in Aus with us.

We have only been here 16 months, not yet 2!

We have been told this should not be a problem as long as we can prove we are settled in/comitted to, Aus, IE........jobs, cars, schools, they even asked about club membership, the fact the boys both play football and we have been to see Aus v the Argies play football. We have TFN's and Paul has an ABN, we have submitted tax returns and are in the process of building a house.

All of this has been deemed as evidence of our comittment, we will however have to get an Aus citizen to put up a $5000.00 bond for 2 years.

We have also been told that once the visa is lodged we can apply for a bridging visa so that my son doesn't have to keep leaving the country.

We are using Go Matilda as they have an office in Geelong........which is much cheaper on phone calls than ringing the UK!!

Good luck all.

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

now this reply has got me wondering!!!! anychance you could pm me more details about how this worked for you.

I would really appreciate it if you would!!!

Alison

Archived