Cost of Living Aus or UK

Guest funiowcple

Guest funiowcple

There has been lots of bits and bobs about the cost of living rising in Australia. It would be good to finally get some idea of how much the cost of living is so we can compare.

It would give everone some idea of what they need to live in either UK or Aus.

Here is our stuff

Phil Works in a club as Food and Beverage Manager and earns £28K, Jude works part time and gets £8K. But the cost of living here on the isle of wight isn't that cheap.

Typical rent is £700 a month, for a 3/4 bed house. Our Gas/Electric is over £1000 a year, water rates £650, Council rates £1200, Car tax over £200 a year, and car insurance is 0ver £300. Our weekly shop for two adults and two kids is over £120. TV licence (how quickly you forget about that when you don't pay it in OZ) £140., then theres Home insurance, Cable tv and Broadband.

It would be good to compare wages and the cost of living with australia

so come on and add your info so we can see if we can afford to live in Aus.

Jude and Phil

Guest Pingpongpom

Hi Jude & Phil:)..we haven't lived in Aus for a few years, so can't really say how the cost of living compares now.. but my three brothers live there and tell me a decent rental property in Perth is between $300 - $400..water rates can be minimal compared to here in rentals..NO council tax & tv license ofcourse..just think the wages in Aus may not be as high as here..ofcourse there's plenty to do in Aus in the beautiful outdoors that costs nought, which is always a plus!..

Pingpong:cute:or Tess

Guest afiyafifi

I think you have started a good thread here . It would be good to know what people here in the uk pay on rent , council tax and bills , and what people in oz pay . that way it gives us an idea of cost of living in oz . my rent here is £580 a month , gas £60 a mth , elec £80 a mth council tax £100 mth , water rates £30 a mth and food for 2 adult and 3 children about £150 a week ... karen

Guest leanneandmark

My council tax is £160 a month :sad:(and that will go up in april)

water and sewage £70 a month.

don't pay rent got a disgustingly huge mort (but rent wud b about £1000 possibly more)

Food £280 a month, cos we can't afford any more!!!! Used eat out twice a wk, :swoon:

Gas and Elec £160 a month

petrol !!!!!!!£200+ a month.

My bills (excluding mortgage) are as follows:

Electric: $400 every 2 months (I run r/c aircon, pool and spa)

Gas: $200 every 3 months (gas heated spa and gas water heater and gas cooking)

Car Insurance: $450 per year (Mazda Tribute 2 drivers almost 40 yrs old with full no claims)

House insurance: $55 per month (buildings and contents)

Car Rego: $450 per year

Petrol: $75 per week

Phone/broadband combined: $135 per month including calls

Mobiles: $80 per month

Foxtel: $100 per month

Food shopping: between $250 and $300 per week not inc alcohol

Booze: $30 per week on average

Water rates and usage: $1000 per year

Council rates: $1100 per year

State school costs per year inc uniform and supplies: $500

Hope that helps

School uniform $200 per child Books n Stationary $100 per child.. school fees $400 per year for both of them

:)

Hi Jo, can I just ask if the school fee's are for a private school or would you pay for them at a state school?

Hi Jo, can I just ask if the school fee's are for a private school or would you pay for them at a state school?

Hi

My son goes to a state high school and we have just paid $281 for the year plus his uniform and stationary, it would cost a lot more if private.

Karen x

Guest dwaldron

My gross salary here is pretty much the same if converted at today's rate, but my net salary is nearly £200 a month higher here, so you need to take tax/NI differences into account also.

Our rent is $400/week. That was the cheapest available but it's a lovely house.

We have just bought a house, our mortgage and rates combined will be about the same $400/week.

We have a budget of $350/week, not including rent or mortgage. That's not much. We have to be very tight fisted, but it's do-able. This week I'm $100 under budget so I'm celebrating with fish and chips and a bottle of red. Marvellous!

But look, the first few years are the toughest, things can only get better financially and our monster truck is paid for and we live in paradise, so who cares.

And we're getting a lodger in the new house, will charge $150/week for her to use the master bedroom with ensuite. We'll be minted!

Ax

Archived