How do you open a bank account in oz before you go?

Guest BRAMBLE

Guest BRAMBLE

Hi, can anyone help me. I want to sent up a bank account in Perth now.

Can I do it online and what do I do?

Thanks, Sarah.

Guest traybears

HI SARAH.WE'RE JUST IN THE PROCESS OF DOING THIS.WE'VE OPENED ONE WITH WESTPAC.WE JUST WENT TO THEIR WEBSITE.THEY HAVE A MOVING TO OZ SECTION WHICH YOU CAN SET UP ON LINE .ALSO THEY HAVE A LONDON OFFICE WHICH IS HANDY FOR ADVICE BEFORE.PHONE NUMBER;020 7621 7000 GOOD LUCK.TRACY.

Thanks, Sarah.

Hi Sarah

Yes u can do it online , Westpac Internet -Personal Banking Homepage i think thats they website! You can go on there and fill in an appliation form for a Mirgrantes account,( god my spelling is crap!! ) and they will send you all the paperwork that you will need, the only problem is , you have just six weeks in which to transfer money into it! And dont forget that if u do use Westpac u can only put money in, u wont be able to take any out until u have been into a branch and showed ur ID!

Or if you dont want to do it online their phone number is 020 7621 7000 they have offices here in London.

Hope this helps.

Hi

We looked at Westpac which you can do over the phone no problem but they have a very tight deadline for activating the account. By the time we received the forms from oz which needed to be witnessed and sent back the 7 day deadline was already up.

I had a small HSBC account which I hadnt used much but as I was and existing customer they played ball they were laborious but we got there in the end. If you are an existing customer the international department can use your local branch to do all the identification stuff. Once you have the account its easy we transfered money over and used our cards when we went in August. We have internet access and can print off forms for transfers in the UK so its all pretty good.

Hope this helps

We set our account up with Westpac based in the UK - no time deadlines apart from transferring some funds within 30 days. Very easy. Set up our internet banking on monday with their call centre based in Australia!

They sent the forms from the Uk and so far so good............impressed.

Guest BRAMBLE

Thanks, I have been looking on the westpac as advised but which account is best and do you have to get there in 90 days?

Thanks, Sarah.

Guest traybears

HI,YOU CAN PUT IN IT WHATEVER YOU WANT I THINK.JUST GOING TO OPEN OURS WITH ABOUT £100.GET CHARGED $2.50 A MONTH I THINK UNLESS YOU HAVE $3000 IN IT.THEN THEY DON'T CHARGE YOU.WE OPENED THE AVERAGE 'WESTPAC CHOICE'.TRACY.

Guest BRAMBLE
HI,YOU CAN PUT IN IT WHATEVER YOU WANT I THINK.JUST GOING TO OPEN OURS WITH ABOUT £100.GET CHARGED $2.50 A MONTH I THINK UNLESS YOU HAVE $3000 IN IT.THEN THEY DON'T CHARGE YOU.WE OPENED THE AVERAGE 'WESTPAC CHOICE'.TRACY.

Hi Tracy, thanks for the info it has been really helpful. Do you have to get their in 90 days to show your ID or can it sit there for months on end. We don't know when we will get over because we have to put out house on the market.

When are you going over?

Thanks, Sarah

We opened the Westpac Choice and also a MAXi direct savings account. They advised to put at least $3000 in the bank account as if you have less than that they charge $5 a month. Then the rest in the savings account. We're not getting there until May - they ask which date you arrive on the form. They alloacte a branch near where you'll be and apparently you just pop in when you arrive! When we rang the call centre in Oz to set up internet banking they were really helpful and friendly. We can't actually use the account until we get to OZ but at least we can see our money is there!

Guest traybears

HO SARAH,IF YOUR LIKE US PROBABLY NOT GOING TO BE THERE IN 3 MONTHS THEN THEY SEND ANOTHER FORM AS WELL FOR YOUR CURRENT BANK TO FILL IN.WHEN WE PHONED THEM UP THEY EMAILED IT TO US.GIVE THEM A RING SOON AND THEY CAN SORT YOU OUT BETTER.THEY WERE REALLY HELPFUL.WE'RE HEADING TO NSW.HOPEFULLY AROUND MAY/JUNE TIME BUT PROBABLY A BIT OPTIMISTIC WITH THE WAITING ON C/O.TRACY.

Hi Tracy, thanks for the info it has been really helpful. Do you have to get their in 90 days to show your ID or can it sit there for months on end. We don't know when we will get over because we have to put out house on the market.

When are you going over?

Thanks, Sarah

Guest cmallon

Thanks, Sarah.

Hi Sarah,

We looked at Westpac but something about transferring funds within 30 days of opening the account and being in the country with 90 days put me off. I hadn't realised you could delay it but we ended up opening ours with ANZ. The website is anz.com you just print the form off and send it back. We got two sole accounts and a joint account opened very quickly with no problems.

:cute:WE WERE TOLD BY HSBC THAT THEY CAN TRANSFER STRAIGHT TO OZ THROUGH SANTANDER (IF I HAVE SPELT THAT RIGHT) THERE BANK IN OZ SO THATS WHAT WERE DOING.

Archived