Hobart???

Guest cityboy

Guest cityboy

Hi All.

Can anyone out there give any views good/bad on Hobart. What is the city like to live, many events going on, cinema, theatre, cafe culture and Hobart for kids etc tc.????

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Guest jenny79

I lived in Hobart - Sandy Bay - for 5 months while studying at UTAS.... though i can't tell you much about activities, since i was studying (in 2002), I can tell you that the people were extremely nice, and I will be considering moving there if the visa is issued.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Me and my family visited last year, and have since applied for our visa. Hobart is a lovely place. The people are really nice. Lots of cafe bars, shops etc. but not big enough to get lost in. Scenery is beautiful considering your in the Capital city being on the banks of the river and having the backdrop of Mount Wellington. There's plenty to do in respect of entertainment we went to the cinema, iceskating, internet cafes etc. We also looked around the local schools as our son is 12, and they were really nice, there's a selection of state and private schools but if you look at the performance stats and thing the schools in the Hoabrt area generally perform better than the rest of Tas (academically). I think you'll have to decide whats important to a specific child in order to determine which school is best, education in general is better though. Some of the residential suburbs seem really nice places to live, and are serviced well with amenities, the ones we're looking at are less than 15 mins drive from Hobart.

Hope this helps.

Wendy

Guest mutikonka

Go to Inverness and wait 10 years for global warming to bring it up to Tasmanian temperatures. Hobart is nice but remote, drizzly, and very "local". In Tasmania generally there's a lot of tension between the greenies and the loggers. Very cheap to buy a house there - what's the catch?

Guest Colin R

First of all Hobart is not cold, drizzly, nor very 'local". I am a little fed up with people knocking something when they quite clearly dont live here nor anywhere near it. They make their observations from spending a couple of days here if that. There is tension between the forestry and the greenies but nothing that remotely effects the day to day life of us who actually live here. Hobart is a very cosmopolitan city it has every amenity that you can think of it may be not as big as Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne but neither do we have the crime and violence associated with such large population areas. It depends on what you are coming to Australia for if in UK you would consider living in London, Glasgow, Bristol or are you moving because you want a better life and a safer enviroment for your children to be brought up in. There is a popular misconseption that Tasmania compered to the rest of Australia is somewhat backward or "local" again this depends on what you expect or demand from your move to Australia as far as I and my family are concerned we could not live in any of the other major population centres on the mainland because we wouldnt have chosen to live in a city anywhere also the amount of Mainland Australians that are now chosing to move to Tasmania as a life change has increased dramatically as has migration from outside of Australia the consequence of which is of course the change in perception that Tasmania is some sort of inbred backwater I can assure you having visited here regularly for the last twenty years and having lived and worked here for the past 2 years the general perception of others regarding Tasmania is outdated and somewhat un-educated as to the real Tasmania.

Guest talisman

Hi we are off to Hobart, just waiting for visa. cant wait it looks real great. We have three little kids and they are real excited. A great place to start our new life.

jane

Guest The Cutches

We're heading there this year too. Went last April for a rekkie and absolutely loved the place. The weather was fantastic, the people were so friendly and welcoming and Hobart was in no way 'backwards' and had all the amenities we could want. To top it off, there are beaches, mountains and countryside surrounding the place.....fabulous!!!:goofy:

CC

x

Guest cityboy

Hi ALL.

Thanks for your replys and feedback. I am off to Hobart im May for a quickie reccie and hopefully this will make up our minds if its for us. It certainlt looks picturesque.

Kind regards,

Cityboy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Vinnie

Hello, Hobart is a nice place,with some good suburbs,quite a healty live music scene with regular gigs & pub bands.I'ts like a large U.K. Town and is easy to walk or cycle around.

All the best, Vince

Guest cityboy

Hi Sally and Colin.

Back in Blighty now and returned to choas at Heathtrow....great to meet you both and I will pm you soon.

Best wishes,

Cityboy.

Guest Colin R

We really enjoyed your company and so pleased that you got back home OK. Look forward to your PM and also you and your family getting to move here.

Best wishes

Sally and Colin

Guest cityboy

Hi Sally and Colin.

Thanks for the reply. I have sent you a PM to your other e mail address not associated with this one. It was a pleasure to meet you both and hopefully we will meet in the not too distant future.

Best wishes and kind regards,

CITYBOY.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Cutches
Hi there is an article in this months Australia and New Zealand magazine on Hobart

Oooh thanx Tracey, we used to get that mag every month but haven't bought it for a while now, will pop to WHS tomorrow :yes:

blank.gif

blank.gifHostage released for pizza

An Australian prison guard held hostage for two days was released after a ransom demand for pizzas was met.

Up to 20 inmates at the Risdon Prison in Hobart, Tasmania, seized the guard in a protest over conditions in the maximum security jail.

Initially they made 24 demands to authorities, but eventually gave up their hostage after agreeing to 15 pizzas, Coke and garlic bread instead.

"At midnight, the final sticking point with the inmates was that they were requiring pizzas to be delivered. Our staff member was negotiated out with the delivery of 15 pizzas," Graeme Barber, Tasmania's director of prisons, told The Advocate newspaper.

The guard is recovering from his ordeal at home.

• 1 month later...
First of all Hobart is not cold, drizzly, nor very 'local". I am a little fed up with people knocking something when they quite clearly dont live here nor anywhere near it. They make their observations from spending a couple of days here if that. There is tension between the forestry and the greenies but nothing that remotely effects the day to day life of us who actually live here. Hobart is a very cosmopolitan city it has every amenity that you can think of it may be not as big as Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne but neither do we have the crime and violence associated with such large population areas. It depends on what you are coming to Australia for if in UK you would consider living in London, Glasgow, Bristol or are you moving because you want a better life and a safer enviroment for your children to be brought up in. There is a popular misconseption that Tasmania compered to the rest of Australia is somewhat backward or "local" again this depends on what you expect or demand from your move to Australia as far as I and my family are concerned we could not live in any of the other major population centres on the mainland because we wouldnt have chosen to live in a city anywhere also the amount of Mainland Australians that are now chosing to move to Tasmania as a life change has increased dramatically as has migration from outside of Australia the consequence of which is of course the change in perception that Tasmania is some sort of inbred backwater I can assure you having visited here regularly for the last twenty years and having lived and worked here for the past 2 years the general perception of others regarding Tasmania is outdated and somewhat un-educated as to the real Tasmania.

It sounds great. My sister her hubby and 2 kids are off there soon, 7 weeks I think. The CUTCHES.

Myself and my wife are going to apply for our visa begining of Aug. Sounds exactly as she said. I am a painter - multi trade , is there much work in this lovely Taz that I can't wait to see?

Archived