When should we open a bank account?

Polkey

Hi All ,

We have been wondering how soon before moving over we should open a bank account and what benifits if any this will give us, does it help with credit raitings etc?

We have been sent info from Westpac wich seem ok but any info on them or recomendations on any other banks would be great.

Thanks everyone.

John & Julie

:notworthy:

Guest Pingpongpom

Hi John and Julie:)..we always use the Commonwealth Bank and you can set up an account in London with them and then activate your Aus one when you get there, at the Bank specified..we are going to Perth so it will be at St. George's Terrace for us..this is a form you can print off to open an account with them.. http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/documentlibrary/CBA%20New%20Account%20Pack%20Nov06.pdf

..hope this helps..

Pingpong:cute:

We opened an account with Westpac 5 months before we got here. All done online and very easy to do. This meant we could start filtering our savings across to earn interest in Australia!

OH went into the bank to change addresses last week and the lady sat him down, checked our accounts and asked if they were working okay for us. She recommended a few different savings options and as a result we are now earning maximum interest on our savings. The staff we have dealt with have all been really helpful and friendly.

Felicity

Guest Morley_Sarah

Westpac and Commonwealth are both pretty good banks.

Commonwealth focuses more on individuals whereas Westpac is a bit more geared towards businesses and their telephone wait can often be horrendous.

I have accounts with both but use Commonwealth mainly as they offer a lower rate for my credit card which is important to me

• 7 years later...

Archived