Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      31 times
      Rep

The cost of living!

We are planning to move to OZ (Perth) next year so I have been reading about a lot of things on this site.
      One thing that strikes me is that it seems expensive for everyday things when you get there!
      Clothing, household items, etc. Even beer seems the same price as UK

I know the reasons for the move to OZ (better quality of life, sun etc) but is everyday living better since the average salary seems to be lower than UK, and like here not everyone can afford to shop in Marks & Spencers.

It would be great to hear some opinions.

Cam_Russ
      Hi Mandy,

I myself find it very interesting that so many people comment on supposedly high prices for everyday items, and comparitive low salaries. For both me and Russ, our salaries will mor than double when we get to Australia. We both work for multi national companies in management positions, and get paid terribly (above the national average for UK, but still pretty rubbish). Having looked at what our jobs are worth in Sydney, we'll be able to live a much better life, and actually be able to save money.

I have done some preliminary check on prices of everyday things, like doing a virtual grocery shop on coles.com.au , also gauged the price of utilities from my mum and my sister, and I'm very comfortable with the rental prices and our mortgage is equivalent to about $2500 a month, so rental at even $600 a week is going to b better.

I think the perception of Australia being expensive could be more prevalent in those Brits who are not from the south east, where Britain is at its most expensive for everything.... or perhaps, I've just not been very good at negotiating better salary here.. lol

My sister and her husband have 2 kids (a 6 week old and an 18 month old), my sister does not work at the moment, so they have just one income, of under $50K a year, and they live a comfortable life, they own a house (with a mortgage). They do live in Brisbane which is historically cheaper than the southern states, but if I cast my mind back to before I left Australia, I certainly don't remember thinking that it was expensive, and my salary used to go alot further than it does here in the UK.

Just my 2 centsof course... Everyone wll have a doifferent experience depending on your background and your lifestyle... One thing I do remember about growing up in Oz, was that there was always loads to do that cost nothing!!! Parks, beaches, barbeques... that's the way to live

Cam

Title
      Liked
      17722 times
      Rep
      I really don't convert $ to £ and to be honest was never a great price watcher. Both hubby and I are paid less than in the UK, but we manage very well on the salaries we get. Meat seems quite cheap to me - particularly lamb, but fish seems expensive. Good wine is cheap although recently we did splash out and bought some direct from a vineyard (to save and celebrate our first anniversary here)I think you just get used to the prices. We still manage to put savings aside each month. Also look at salary packaging, I get $500 taken out of my salary every 2 weeks before tax, it is then put back into my account the day after reducing the amount of tax I pay over the year.

Ali
      I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

ngourley
      I'm way out west in WA and one thing I notice more over here is how the price of things can fluctuate wildly from week to week which can make budgeting a bit tricky.
      Petrol can swing 20c a liter for no apparent reason, I've notices that the price alwys seems to go up just before a public holiday and drop again the next week.
      Fruit and veg is much more seasonal & easily affected than in the UK and the price reflects that... last year's great banana shortage after Cyclone Larry was a great example... up to $14 (5.80 per kg), they're down to about $4. The supermarkets (Coles, Woolies) prices are nearly always half as much again as the markets ( Freo, Subi etc).

Best bet... fill up when it cheap and shop for fruit & veg at the markets and not Coles or Woolies

Neal

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by mandy1970 View Post
      We are planning to move to OZ (Perth) next year so I have been reading about a lot of things on this site.
      One thing that strikes me is that it seems expensive for everyday things when you get there!
      Clothing, household items, etc. Even beer seems the same price as UK

I know the reasons for the move to OZ (better quality of life, sun etc) but is everyday living better since the average salary seems to be lower than UK, and like here not everyone can afford to shop in Marks & Spencers.

It would be great to hear some opinions.
      hi we have been here for 6 months in brisbane and yes you are right this is one hell of expensive country to live. once you have arrived and start earning dollars its best not to convert the currencys its just best to take a dollar and a pound and see how far it takes you e.g a litre of petrol in the uk less than a quid here $1.30 the daily paper 35p here a dollar ,we do on average $250 a week on food and thats just the basics ,beer well you can get 2 cases in asda for 18 here a case will set you back $35-$40.so on an aussie wage food cars petrol and houses are very expensive,coming from the uk you get a head start as you are doubling your money but once you start earning dollars we have found it very hard.
      we love the place the lifestyle is great but financially we were better off in the uk ,we are gonna give it another 6 months and see how it goes.in the uk i earnt 800 a week and my wife stayed at home here she works and we bring in $1215 a week and at the end of the month we are lucky if we have $200 left and all we owe is the house my advice would be to come for a visit first and live for a few weeks like you would normally and see what you think

hope this is of help this is just my take on living here other ppl might dis-agree but if i can be of any help

spencer jennings

Title
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      Hi,

Not sure about the cost comparision as yet, but in the UK I used to gets items of clothes in M & S sale for 5 or less!
      The clothes here are not as good.

As we have only been in Perth a few months and were only here a few months in 2004 we haven't got sorted with the money as yet but it is going fast, and I haven't been spending like I used to in the UK.

I think some things may be cheaper and others not, I will have to see how it goes when I have a job and hubby is working for himself eventually.

The weather is better though!

Liz

Title
      Liked
      34 times
      Rep

Other way round

Coming from the opposite direction [on my first return visit to the UK for 5 years], I found that the cost of living in England was much higher than in Australia. Things seemed to cost as much in pounds as they did in dollars here. For example, a coffee would cost two or three quid, whereas here my large flat white costs $3. Likewise bus fares into town were two pounds plus - compared to $2.20 here.

I find it much cheaper to eat out here: you can get a decent meal in a shopping mall food court for $8 and restaurants in genral seem to be a lot cheaper than i the UK.

Also bear in mind that we don't get big heating bills and don't have to buys lots of winter clothes.
      Michael in Sydney
      Sydney Photoblog

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Guys your worrying me........

Is it the same for Melbourne????

Ally
      x
      TRA Posted 10/08/07
      Acknowledgement 28/8 (Rec. 3/9)
      TRA Passed 17/9/07
      Police checks applied for 17/9/07
      Submitted online Visa 175 17/9/07
      Payment Taken 18/9/07
      Accepted offer on the house 17/10/07
      Meds Done 22/10/07
      (quickest 900 ever spent)

Police checks back 24/10/07
      Attached online 24/10/07

Case Officer 14/11/07
      Meds Finalised 3/12/07 & 10/12/07
      Visa Grant 13/12/07
      Flights booked for the 13th January

Finally Arrived Jan 14th at Mount Martha

Title
      PomsInOz Social Guru
      Liked
      24 times
      Rep
      I think it all depends on your situation, we live a family of 4 on $600 a week at the moment and rent is $350. We knew we were throwing cauction to the wind, being on a 457 and not being about to claim any family or rent assistance. But to be honest its amazing how you do manage. Food shopping is expensive in my opinion and the selection is no where near as good, but I have started to learn to cook from scatch and enjoying the learning. I have just taken a job one day week which will help the income so hopefully we need to survive 2 years like this for residency.

At the end of the day for us it means struggling for 2 years to have a better future, everyones expectations are different. I only need to see how happy my 3 years old is playing on the lovely parks and beaches here to know that it will be worth it.

Em x

Title
      Liked
      31 times
      Rep
      Thanks for all your replies.

We are maybe lucky that I have an Australian birth certificate so just need to apply for my Oz passport and Hubby and kids will get a visa no probs. We have been told 6 weeks start to finish so would be permanent residents straight away.
      We live in an area that when we bought our house it was worth 50,000 now its worth 250,000 so have a lot of equity to take with us. Also hubby works in the offshore oil industry and he could get a job paying $100,000. So we are maybe better than some.

Its when you are used to shopping in Asda, Primark for the kids, etc that it seems most things in Oz are more expensive but I suppose that the sun and relaxed lifestyle more than makes up for it!!

You wont know until you try

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast