opening account first in oz

Guest beverley

Guest beverley

Hi

I'm off to perth for a holiday in december, will finally be starting visa process in jan 08.

My sister lives in perth and i have been thinking about opening a bank account in oz when i am there. It would be a very bog standard account no over draft or direct debits will be coming out of it etc I could get statements sent to her address. I could then get my sister to pay a few dollers in every few months

to keep it actviated, so when i arrive in oz to live it will all be set up. i could close the uk accounts bring whatever savings i have with me (there wont be much after all the fees!!) and I will be all ready to go. Rather then keeping all my accounts open here, especially with the amount of fraud going on etc Now does this sound like an ok idea or not worth

it?

:unsure:

Guest sexkit001

Hi

Sounds like a good idea to me it is just one less thing to tick of the list when you do go over officially and some pennies to fall back on when you are there, I was told to move any savings into an Oz account a few months before we go over just to start earning interest and stuff...

K

xx have a great hol by the way..

Guest jonseywife

Hiya

We just opened a Westpac bank account on line the other day... it only takes a couple of minutes !!!

You choose which city main branch you want too, so its all ready and waiting for when you arrive !!!! They send you an e-mail & letter to confirm with reference/account numbers , you just have to transfer a little bit of money in within 30 days I think. The when you get to Oz, you just have to activate ..... this means going into the branch to pick up cards etc., prove your residency with passport visa & Oz address then your good to go !!!!

Here's the link: Westpac Internet -Migrant banking

Archived