A list to keep and a list for adding - what to take

Guest sexkit001

Guest sexkit001

Morning / Evening everyone

I am still in the early stages of the whole process but have this obessive cumpulsive disorder (yes not yet found the spell checker) of being organised and was wondering if anyone knew what we should take with us.... Thought it would be easier to do as a list and if anyone wants to add what they found useful then please do as I am aware others on the forum would love to know and if you have anything you wish to add that you are unsure off then give it a number and pop it on the list !!...

K xxx :huh:

1. Clothes is it just kids clothes you should take or have a mad spending spree from the sale of the house for everyone
  2. Electrical items - is it as easy as just changing the plug on a UK extension lead
  3. Furniture have been told it is cheap over there so leave/sell in UK
  4. Nappies / wipes / dummies (looking to abuse my Costco card)
  5. Bedding
  6. Bikes
  7. Is there any food items you can take ie Tea bags or is it safer to take none at all
  8. Will work Tools be able to go on plane with you (thinking of oh's tools stuck in a container for weeks on end and he needs them for work or the house !!)
  9. Trampoline
  10. Suncream lots of and how long (years) do you continue to apply it for
  11. Motorbike (oh) can this be took over

Hiya ,,i will tell you my experience ,,,

1) clothes for all of you ,they havent heard of bootleg jeans here and mu gran would suit most the clothes in our plaza!!!

2) i have known people just change plugs,my hairdryer is till on a travel adaptor nearly 12mth later! playstation and stero leads we bought from Dick Smiths electrical.

3) if its quality bring it ,if not ditch it and buy here.i would bring my fridge freezer if i could turn the clock back ,most floks here have/need 2 i know i do.lol

4) definately ,they have wipes and nappys but not many uk brands ,my friend really struggled with pull ups ,she said they were more expensive too.

5) bring it all ,and a few spare supplys too,cheap bedding here is very cheap quality and other stuff you need a mortgage for,if you do need to buy here wait for a sale theres normally one or two a month!!!!

6)Depends what you have ,kids mountain bikes in Target,Kmart etc start around $80 ,,so not to badly priced,my 3yr olds princess trike was $27 !!

7)i brought some tea bags,tic tacs and kids wine gum type toffees ,my bag was searched and they never commented,so you should be ok.woolworths here sell tetley that taste ok,so you shouldnt be stuck.

8)We brought some in a suitcase and some in the container ,you do find most prospective employers understand if you have to wait for tools.If you do pack make sure your case isnt too overweight it costs a bomb for extra kilo's.

9) Ask the shippers how much it would cost and see what its worth ,here you can get a round 10ft with safety enclosure for $329 ish,i think 14ft are about $420.

10)id just bring enough to tide you over for a little ,it isnt badly priced here ,they recommend its at least factor 30.

11)can be brought ,depends on make etc as too overall cost ,it has to be converted to Oz spec on arrival,make sure your quote includes charges at this end,hubby left his and bought here,they do seem to hold their money longer here.

12)Kids hats ,schools etc are compulsary,and kids lose them all the time ,pick up some in asda,tesco etc.

13)dont forget your paperwork ,especially kids school stuff and your mates contact details ,so you can let them know how you are doing.Most libarys have free internet connection till you get set up.

14)some Aussie change(cash) just incase you have a toll to pay from the airport to your accomodation.

15) tampax especially if you use applicator types!!! (sorry boys!)

Hope this helps you a little bit ,you do find alternatives to most of your 'luxeries and neccesatys' but bringing stuff to tide you over for a few weeks gives you chance ,,good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest sexkit001

wow thanks for that one, really good ideas there....

Anyone else need to know or tips just keep on adding..

K

xx:yes:

Guest TRACEY & PETER

Im the same only at the beginning of a very long process but i too am doning the whole list thing, i think if you have to pay more to get it there than it will cost to replace, why not just sell what you canhere and buy new, but then the next day another list apears because i cant imagine leaving everything here and having to go shoppng for everything with three children in toe.

I understand that a 20ft container will cost you around £3,000 plus taxes of about £1,500, please let me know if i have got that wrong, can you share a container, or get a smaller one.

Even if we leave most stuff there are certain things that we couldnt possibly leave ie, the kids for a start hahahaha:biglaugh:no really thing like photos frames, pictures, wedding dress, wedding gift, vases, orniments, memerable things baby stuff the list goes on.

What would be the difference in money between taking what we have to take to taking everthing.

So much to think about my head will explode, and my husband will be putting me in a container in little bits.:policeman::arghh::chatterbox:

Guest sexkit001

happy to see its not just me then... i thought of the kids as well :)

have been told to leave the furniture and buy over there as cheap but where do you start and when I have been looking on the real estate websites the furniture doesnt look that good !

the price you have been quoted sounds about right not sure if you can get smaller we could do with one if we leave the furniture behind... not sure about sharing some people have asked that question but not seen a straight answer to that one..

Kxx

why your fridge freezer if you don't mind me asking ??

K xx

Yes it would have been nice to bring my fridge and chest freezer but if you are considering bringing a fridge freezer it is worth bearing the following in mind:

We received this with our quarantine forms:

We have been advised by our destination agent of important developments in relation to the import into Australia of refrigerators / freezers / air conditioning equipment including units in motor vehicles as part of household goods shipments.

The importation of refrigeration or air conditioning equipment that is charged with a CFC refrigerant or can only operate on such a refrigerant is totally banned from being imported.

The importation of refrigeration and air conditioning equipment that is insulated with foam manufactured with a CFC is also totally banned.

All importers will be required to declare that any pre charged refrigeration or air conditioning equipment system(s) does not contain CFC refrigerant or can only operate on such a refrigerant and that it is not insulated with foam manufactured with a CFC.

An importer who does import any of this equipment may be subject to prosecution, seizure of equipment, fines and other monetary sanctions. we trust you appreciate that it is due to circumstances that are totally our of our control.

Please note if the equipment is CFC free i.e. it contains or operates on HCFC or HFC refrigerant then the goods can be imported as normal Household Goods. Copies of the equipment handbooks or a letter from the manufacturers confirming this will be required as part of the import documentation.

We had to sign a letter of declaration that we were not taking a refrigerator or any other CFC appliance with us. As it happens I have been promised a new super fridge freezer so I wasn't too sad to have to sell ours!

Hope this helps,

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest rachelj

Hi i looked at leaving most things and buying new. what i did to deceide is add the cost of buying everything new that was most things in house but not little niknaks. and there is 6 of us and it would have cost about £11,000 to replace everything plus would have had to drag 4 kids round shops to replace it all so paying about £4,000 for container won the vote. although have to leave fridge freezer as they are to much hassle to take.

The reason i would have brought mine (and many folks have with no problems) is it was pretty decent but i just gave it away.I bought a new one here for $900 and in the summer kids are forever in and out getting drinks and when its full theres no room for dad's beer ,so i bought another off ebay for ouside(and for the extra freezer space) that was another $400!!! my Uk one wouldve done the outdoor task mighty fine!!

Cal x

• 6 months later...

Hi All

I've just had a couple of blokes round to do quotes for removals and both lots said def take your fridge freezer and washing machine. Apparently oz washing machines are all top loaders and are really expensive.

Cheers Liz

Guest jbro31

We had someone round also who said to take ours, we have tall fridge, tall freezer and washing machine all quite new so will be taking along with all our other furniture excluding the wicker items, can't take anything of plant origin eg wicker, pine cones, tea bags etc! Anything from outside or muddy shoes must be steam cleaned and disinfected (with Jeyes to leave the smell on) otherwise customs have a field day. Untreated wood is a no go also. I was amazed at the little things that you can't take but it has to be cheaper to take your household than replace everything once there. Quote came in at £3,700 for 20ft container, not bad I think.

Jx

Guest GemmaClaire

:realmad:I've found reading this thread really useful. Thanks everyone? I've heard wooden goods ie- beds and dining tables are very reasonable in oz, is this right?

• 7 months later...
Guest sexkit001

Hi just looking to bump this back into people's minds as we are now definitely moving so skills assessment here we come.. xxx

Archived