Newby needing advice to help mum emigrate to Oz.

Burkeyboy

Hi All. After some basic, early advice. I'm an Australian citizen and have one parent still in the UK. I have a brother over there but my sister passed away a few months ago. My mum comes here pretty much every Christmas for 3 months and as I am more capable and willing to care for her than my brother is, it makes sense to try and get her here. She's 68 and owns her own home though does have some minor medical issues, mainly blood pressure and some arthritis, nothing too major. The different visas are quite confusing and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

Does your mum wants to move? There are financial implications for pensions etc (like her government pension will be frozen at the sate she moves) and older people often don't want to leave their home and their social connections built up over a lifetime (don't neglect the power of lifelong friends!) for potential isolation. The easiest is the Contributory Parent Visa and she will now meet the balance of family requirement so I think it's around $60k and relatively quick. But if she doesn't want to go, you would be cruel to make her.

Hi All. After some basic, early advice. I'm an Australian citizen and have one parent still in the UK. I have a brother over there but my sister passed away a few months ago. My mum comes here pretty much every Christmas for 3 months and as I am more capable and willing to care for her than my brother is, it makes sense to try and get her here. She's 68 and owns her own home though does have some minor medical issues, mainly blood pressure and some arthritis, nothing too major. The different visas are quite confusing and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance, Steve.

I agree with Quoll. But I can't imagine any self respecting 68 year old agreeing to move to Australia if they didn't want to go! I'm sixty four and have my visa, but it has been a very difficult decision to make the move - and I have my husband moving with me! I think it's lovely that you want to look after your mum, but it needs a lot of careful thought and planning as I'm sure you realise.

The visa Quoll mentioned is the 143 and this is the one I have. We had to wait two years or so but I believe it is currently taking about 30 months or longer. You could also apply for the two year temporary visa with the same waiting time but half the cost, which can be replaced with a permenant visa after two years on payment of a further fee. The benefit of this is that you can stagger the overall cost.

Your mum could apply for an onshore visa, i.e. While she is in Australia, and I believe it's possible to get a bridging visa to stay in Australia while waiting for this to come through. I don't know too much about onshore visas, but if you go to the parents thread you'll find any amount of information there. Also if you post a question there, someone will always get back.

There is also the 103 offshore visa which your mum could apply for - costs very little, so that's an attraction, but the waiting time is at least ten years ...

For the 143 visa your mum would have to pass a police check and a medical. She would also need a sponsor (probably you) who promises to support her if necessary for up to two years. You have to deposit a bond with the bank of Australia of (currently) $14,000, which is returned after ten years residence in Australia. interest is paid on the fourteen thousand in the meantime.

The cost of lodging the visa (known as the first VAC- visa application payment) is a couple of thousand dollars. When your mum gets to the front of the queue and passes the medicals etc. she has to pay the second VAC. It was $43,200 last year but it may have gone up a bit since then.

It seems like a formidable challenge, a pipe dream even, at the outset, but it can be done. One step at a time, and good luck to all concerned.

I agree with Quoll. But I can't imagine any self respecting 68 year old agreeing to move to Australia if they didn't want to go!.

From my years on the forum, this is by far the biggest age group who regret the move and many seem to be bullied into it by children in Oz. I suspect this is because culture shock increases with age - I know I find that and Oz is a big a culture shock as any of the other 12 countries I have lived. Visiting doesn't matter, as that's holiday mode, suddenly finding yourself having to make friends and learn every aspect of life again is damned hard. I know now at 47, after 13 countries there is no way on the planet I will move to 14.

The sad part is that due to the costs, many I have met who are retired then find a move back to where they are comfortable is financially impossible.

• Like 1

From my years on the forum, this is by far the biggest age group who regret the move and many seem to be bullied into it by children in Oz. I suspect this is because culture shock increases with age - I know I find that and Oz is a big a culture shock as any of the other 12 countries I have lived. Visiting doesn't matter, as that's holiday mode, suddenly finding yourself having to make friends and learn every aspect of life again is damned hard. I know now at 47, after 13 countries there is no way on the planet I will move to 14.

The sad part is that due to the costs, many I have met who are retired then find a move back to where they are comfortable is financially impossible.

Well that's cheered me up.

Sorry, maybe I should have made myself clear. My mum is wanting to make the move. She's been out around 15 times and hates going back each time. I didn't realise the process could take a few years and the costs were so high, around 50k from what I've read above. Thanks for all the detailed info, particularly Fisher1.

Sorry, maybe I should have made myself clear. My mum is wanting to make the move. She's been out around 15 times and hates going back each time. I didn't realise the process could take a few years and the costs were so high, around 50k from what I've read above. Thanks for all the detailed info, particularly Fisher1.

Try looking up the onshore 864 visa. It's still expensive but I've heard it comes through more quickly. Also there is possibly a new five year visa in the pipeline but nothing is certain about that. Do look at the parents thread on here - full of people wanting to be with their families and great for both info and moral support.

Well that's cheered me up.

I've been on the forum for 7 years and my nomination for biggest regretters would be parents with young children missing family support and the connection to close family relatives as the children grow. Hope that cheers you a little more. :wink:

I've been on the forum for 7 years and my nomination for biggest regretters would be parents with young children missing family support and the connection to close family relatives as the children grow. Hope that cheers you a little more. :wink:

My vote would go for the "over planners". Them that ask too many questions about the best bank/washing machine or whether to fill their container with an industrial amount of shampoo. Those who start budget spreadsheets years before the move. Once they eventually get to Oz and something unplanned happens they start to wobble. :wubclub:

:-)