Holiday ideas?

Quokka2005

Looking at booking my holiday this year but haven't a clue where to go. I'm thinking more of a bucket list type holiday rather than Spain. I really like wildlife so I've been looking at Canada (BC) for ages because I could see bears and maybe whale watching. But I'm not sure how good it would be without a car, I know Vancouver is fine without one but not sure about outside there. That was my problem in Australia a lot of the time. Anyone got any ideas? It has to be between June and August unless I don't get into college this year. If I forget the wildlife side of the holiday then my other option was maybe do a interrail Europe trip

I'd like to see Peru one day! I wanted to go further than Europe but I bet that's where I'll end up lol. Would still be a cool trip though, I've wanted to do that since I was 21 but just never got around to it. Story of my life haha. I keep looking on skyscanner for ideas on where is cheap on those months but then I need to be careful with weather for a few of them. I found a flight to Vancouver for £500 which I thought was pretty good

Looking at booking my holiday this year but haven't a clue where to go. I'm thinking more of a bucket list type holiday rather than Spain. I really like wildlife so I've been looking at Canada (BC) for ages because I could see bears and maybe whale watching. But I'm not sure how good it would be without a car, I know Vancouver is fine without one but not sure about outside there. That was my problem in Australia a lot of the time. Anyone got any ideas? It has to be between June and August unless I don't get into college this year. If I forget the wildlife side of the holiday then my other option was maybe do a interrail Europe trip
there are some good rail journeys through the Rockies I believe. Mil loved it. Never been myself. I'm afraid of bears.

How long have you got? I used to do overlands a fair bit in the backpacker buses; I loved them as they were transport between places but when you got somewhere it was up to you what you did so there wasn't a package-holiday feel about it. Went through the Middle east, Africa and Russia that way. Oasis Overland was one of the bigger companies, there were others but it's been many years since I had the freedom to do that and I don't know who's still there and where they go.

We went to Canada (Vancouver and Vancouver Island, which was our favourite) last year and all loved it. If you can make it work, I'd definitely recommend it. Beautiful, amazing place and the people couldn't have been more friendly and welcoming.

We only saw bears at Grouse Mountain though :wink:

We also went to Seattle and Portland which were easy by train - very lovely journey once you get through US border control!

Sounds odd, but the former Soviet Block countries are really coming into their own. A few years ago I flew to Helsinki, got the ferry across to Talinn then caught the local buses through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Public transport was amazing, it was cheap and looked like Prague without the hoards of tourists. Also did it as a single female and had no issues whatsoever. Also really liked Poland, got the train from Krakow to Prague, did a detour into Slovenia (or Slovakia, one of those two), and again, didn't break the bank and no issues with the local transport at all.

Guest The Pom Queen

I wouldn't plan Canada just to see the bears, I lived there and never saw one. I was offered a trip to go bear hunting by a park ranger I got friendly with but when he said he was shooting them it was a no from me.

A friend is currently on a safari in Africa, omg it looks fantastic. I will ask if I can post some of her photos up.

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry for the photo spam, I'm just so envious, she took all them with her iPhone and said the Gorillas were so close. Guess I've something else to knock off my bucket list.

I am but I'm not going to pass by July or August. Well I doubt it anyway and no that's not me being negative lol :tongue: that's me just organising my second one because I was in Germany then really ill for 2 weeks and haven't managed to catch up because of work. So I'm way behind but hopefully pass by winter

For what it's worth, I did an inter rail holiday the very first year it was launched, in1972. The ticket cost £27.50 and you could go anywhere inEurope for a month. We had a fantastic time and it was also very cheap - we did a few overnights on the train, saving cash on accommodation. It's I different ball game now of course, but I'd certainly look into it. So many interesting places to see in Europe, all different and all so close together ... Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful time!

I am but I'm not going to pass by July or August. Well I doubt it anyway and no that's not me being negative lol :tongue: that's me just organising my second one because I was in Germany then really ill for 2 weeks and haven't managed to catch up because of work. So I'm way behind but hopefully pass by winter

OK ... but lose that negativity please Stacey!!! Get back into those lessons and blitz those driving lessons!! c

For what it's worth, I did an inter rail holiday the very first year it was launched, in1972. The ticket cost £27.50 and you could go anywhere inEurope for a month. We had a fantastic time and it was also very cheap - we did a few overnights on the train, saving cash on accommodation. It's I different ball game now of course, but I'd certainly look into it. So many interesting places to see in Europe, all different and all so close together ... Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful time!

My eldest did the same in 2013, although the cost of the ticket had gone up a bit (£300 iirc - still very good value)! They also had a few overnighters on the train, but the hostels were incredibly good value, especially in Eastern Europe - £5-10pn. It's a great way to see lots of places on a budget and you meet loads of other young people doing the same thing. I'd do it now if I was free for a month or two (think I'd need hotels rather than bunk beds now though :laugh:)