Pate, use within two days of opening?

newjez

My service user keeps buying it but then doesn't use it or just uses a little. The rest of the workers aren't that great with use by dates so I'm always chucking it out if I know it's over the few days limit. I don't know wether it does do anything if you eat it but I wouldn't risk it, at least not at work. I've used a few things at home that's out of date but not meat

I'm looking forwards to being able to buy good pate easily. Woolies sell a couple of different pates, but they're not great. There is a lovely delicatessen in Berry where we get pate, but it is an hours drive so we only get it if we are going that way.

I'm looking forwards to being able to buy good pate easily. Woolies sell a couple of different pates, but they're not great. There is a lovely delicatessen in Berry where we get pate, but it is an hours drive so we only get it if we are going that way.

Agree, it's one of the things here where the regular shops' choice is really poor. I've stopped bothering

Agree, it's one of the things here where the regular shops' choice is really poor. I've stopped bothering

It's not an every day item, but one of those special once in a while things, so it would be nice to be able to buy it closer to home.

I go by smell and taste tbh. Not printed dates, although they are a guide. It often depends how you have transported and kept an item.

Maybe be I am old fashioned but nothing had dates on when I was young and bought in markets and butchers shops, you just know when something is bad.

I do realise of course that some nasty bugs do not taint the smell or taste of food but they can be present in fresh food within the date so a bit of a lottery sometimes.

A person I once shared a flat with used to bin everything past it's best before date ( not even a use by date). She always bought packaged stuff so threw out fruit and veg that were perfectly edible! What a waste.

bendy carrots and wilted salad can still make good soup, I hate throwing food away.

I am a firm believer in the smell of food. I don't tend to buy pate much but if I do I buy Maggie Beer and it's OK. If I am feeling adventurous I make my own as chicken livers are so very cheap.
I think smell and taste are a good indication, but sadly I don't have much sense of smell due to chronic sinus infections. We should really label our jars, but we try not to open too many things at once. Although we have fish sauce that I know has been in the cupboard for over a year.

They also cannot assume that people will put it in a fridge, or that the fridge will actually be cold enough!

We had a battle with my OH dad in his 80 s. As he always left things out and kept turning the fridge up so it was really more like a larder. Mind he doesn't have heating in the kitchen and hasn't ( as far as we know ) been plagued by food poisoning. So maybe we are all just a bit paranoid.

After all the butcher, fishmonger and markets don't put dates on food..........

I think smell and taste are a good indication, but sadly I don't have much sense of smell due to chronic sinus infections. We should really label our jars, but we try not to open too many things at once. Although we have fish sauce that I know has been in the cupboard for over a year.

Fish sauce smells disgusting even before its opened!

They also cannot assume that people will put it in a fridge, or that the fridge will actually be cold enough!

We had a battle with my OH dad in his 80 s. As he always left things out and kept turning the fridge up so it was really more like a larder. Mind he doesn't have heating in the kitchen and hasn't ( as far as we know ) been plagued by food poisoning. So maybe we are all just a bit paranoid.

After all the butcher, fishmonger and markets don't put dates on food..........

I never trust supermarket fridges either. I always select items from the back.