TFN before arrival

Zippy

Hi everyone

Can I get a TFN (tax file number) before arriving in Australia I have an address With relatives in Sydney I can use? I know it says on the site must be in Australia but was wondering if anyone had applied before as I may have a job on arrival and would like to be organised.

Also I had a TFN 8 years ago as backpacker can I just use that or will it be dead now?

Cheers in advance for any info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, you need to wait till you are in Australia. It doesn't take long to organise.

If you had one years ago you could always check it out to see if its still useable.

I'll do some digging then and see if my old one works, falling that I'll do it on the day I arrive my wife needs one anyway, can you work while it's still pending as it's saying upto 31 days to arrive!

Your TFN is for life so if you got one years ago that is still your TFN now. If you cannot remember it just ring once your here and they will send it to you.

Cal x

That's great, easy to sort then. I thought it might get wiped if not used for 7 years as I'd left the country.

Cheers for the advice

Yeah. I still don't understand why I seem to have got a new one. :-/

Hubby did apply for a new one when i applied for mine on arival to Aus, but they rang us and after a few questions to check his ID they said your old number is still valid ,they never expire so we will cancel your new application and then gave him the number over the phone.

Cal x