Negotiating Rent?

tapetheescape

How open to negotiation are landlords/agents?

Is it expected that the tenant pay the asking price or that it is negotiated downwards?

Thanks!

It's entirely dependent on where you are looking. Perth right now, you've probably got a chance. Inner Melbourne, unlikely.

I hear of more tenants offering over the going rate, or paying up to 6 months in advance than negotiating down. There is always a shortage of good quality rentals and there seem to be many people keen to rent, but it does depend where you want to be. If you are further away from the city it may work.

If one one else is interested you could try to go lower but probably in most areas landlords usually get what they are asking. If they don't they could always hold another open and see if they get better offers. And as has been said, its quite common for people to offer a bit more to try to secure a place they like.

I offered the asking price in quite a competitive area. The agent called and said I was the successful applicant but then went on to say the wanted additional $ per week! I managed to negotiate halfway, I wasn't happy but just wanted to settle so could not be bothered looking anymore.

I offered the asking price in quite a competitive area. The agent called and said I was the successful applicant but then went on to say the wanted additional $ per week! I managed to negotiate halfway, I wasn't happy but just wanted to settle so could not be bothered looking anymore.

This is probably not legal.

So after a few viewings, I can see how offering below the asking is not realistic.

It's so competitive out there. I have no idea how I'll make my application stand out - genuinely worried.

Ultimately, all landlords are driven by the same motivation, wanting someone who will pay the bills on time and look after their house. Offer an advanced payment (for instance 6 months) and all properly completed paperwork and you may find they snap your hand off. We did this for our first rental for 6 months and then when the lease was up and the owner wanted to return, the agency gave us first pickings on another awesome house before advertising it.