Residency Status

jicms

My husband is Australian and our children have acquired citizenship by descent. I am a UK citizen and we have been living in the UK for 30 years. (We previously lived, worked and owned property in Australia for eight years.)

If we want to purchase property and live in Australia what kind of permanent residency or citizenship should I apply for and what are the costs? I imagine the main benefit of this for me would be for Medibank coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea as it was 35 years ago! My passport at the time had an entry that I could return at any time as I had married but I no longer have it. I think it must have been a two year working holiday visa.

My husband is Australian and our children have acquired citizenship by descent. I am a UK citizen and we have been living in the UK for 30 years. (We previously lived, worked and owned property in Australia for eight years.)

If we want to purchase property and live in Australia what kind of permanent residency or citizenship should I apply for and what are the costs? I imagine the main benefit of this for me would be for Medibank coverage.

Unless you qualify for a skills visa, you would be looking at a Partner (Spouse) Visa. Costs about $7000 at present.

You don't get cover from Medibank unless you buy a policy with them as they are a private health fund, but you would get full medicare coverage (thats the nearest oz has to the NHS)

Sounds like you had a Partner Visa before, you could not have lived there for 8 years on a WHV.

Sorry I did mean Medicare. I won't be looking for employment. Is there anyway I can find out what visa I had? Do records go back that far. I suppose my employer might still have a record but maybe it wouldn't be of any use.

Sorry I did mean Medicare. I won't be looking for employment. Is there anyway I can find out what visa I had? Do records go back that far. I suppose my employer might still have a record but maybe it wouldn't be of any use.

DIBP would be able to tell you details of your previous visa, but I doubt it would do any good. Too long ago to even think of getting a RRV even if it was a Partner Visa you had originally.

You'd need to start from scratch, have a look at www.border.gov.au for Partner Visas

DIBP would be able to tell you details of your previous visa, but I doubt it would do any good. Too long ago to even think of getting a RRV even if it was a Partner Visa you had originally.

You'd need to start from scratch, have a look at www.border.gov.au for Partner Visas

Not necessarily the case. Some of the really old visas (issued before 1987 when the RRV was introduced) had an "authority to return" or "return endorsement" which could still be valid. There is advice on the DIBP website for these people not to apply for an RRV as it will replace their existing visa if they haven't already accidentally replaced it with another substantive visa such as an RRV. Important to contact the DIBP to find out what record they have before applying for anything.

Not necessarily the case. Some of the really old visas (issued before 1987 when the RRV was introduced) had an "authority to return" or "return endorsement" which could still be valid. There is advice on the DIBP website for these people not to apply for an RRV as it will replace their existing visa if they haven't already accidentally replaced it with another substantive visa such as an RRV. Important to contact the DIBP to find out what record they have before applying for anything.

Fair enough - OP ignore my posts, seems the agent who gave me that info was talking rubbish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Unfortunately despite sending my old passports with the old ATR stamps they have no record of me and suggested I apply for a RRV 155/157.  I imagine the most I could hope for would be a three-month 157 and if it's unsuccessful apply for a spouse visa.

Is it worth asking a migration expert the likelihood of acceptance or would that cost be more than the price of the RRV 155 application fee!

• 2 months later...

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help with this?  Alternatively can I get migration expert advice at nominal cost and if so how do I alight on a good one?  I don't want to go the hassle and expense of applying for a PRV until it's confirmed I'm not liable for a RRV.

I have a Certificate of Service of my 8 years' employment with the bank but they have no record of the visa I was on as it was 36 years ago.  

If I do have to apply for a partner visa what are the pros/cons of the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) outside Australia versus the Partner visa (subclasses 820 and 801) within Australia other than slight differences in processing times? 

On 20/08/2017 at 00:46, jicms said:

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Unfortunately despite sending my old passports with the old ATR stamps they have no record of me and suggested I apply for a RRV 155/157.  I imagine the most I could hope for would be a three-month 157 and if it's unsuccessful apply for a spouse visa.

Is it worth asking a migration expert the likelihood of acceptance or would that cost be more than the price of the RRV 155 application fee!

Guest Aptech Global

You will get different replies here, the better is to get advice from the one, who has applied for it or you can also get expert consultation for  the team of Australia Immigration Experts, they surly guide you in right direction. Before applying for Visa you should know about Australia Visa Processing Time, documents needed and your skilled that match the occupation list.

On 07/11/2017 at 17:57, Tulip1 said:

Certainly worth asking a migrant agent, there are several on here and their input will I'm sure be worth the cost of getting it 

It's hard to know which reviews are genuine so how do you choose a good one?!  It would be good to get a rough idea of price.

On here we have @Richard Gregan, @Raul Senise, @wrussell and @Alan Collett

Any of those would be a good starting point. 

The pros and cons of on shore and off shore are mostly down to the longer processing time on shore. And therefore being on a bridging visa (with full work rights) till a decision is made. 

Personally, if you know you want to go and are planning ahead, I'd go the off shore route every time if it were me. Get the visa granted before you head out there.