Contributory or non-contributory aged parent visa

Liverpoolles

My wife and I (both 66) have two daughters, both of whom are now citizens in Australia. We are living with one daughter in Melbourne and applied for contributory aged parent visas (864) a few months ago. We are quite confident we will be granted these visas, but due to the collapse of the pound, we will struggle to find the $90k to pay for them. We are not sure if we could swap to non-contributory aged parent (804), but if we could, can anyone advise what would be the disadvantages?

I could be wrong but you can go from non-contributory to contributory parent visas but not the other way around.

If you apply for the onshore non-contributory visa then you MAY get a bridging visa to stay here while the application is being processed but the current times are ridiculous so that means staying on a bridging visa and it's restrictions for a long time to come.

Also there is talk/speculation about significantly increasing fees for contributory visas so if you have a change of heart 2 years from now then you may be up for much higher fees.

I don't see why there would be anything to stop you from cancelling your 864 visa and then reapplying for the 804. This is what you have to do anyway if you do it the other way around. It might be best just to check with a migration agent such as Alan Collett or maybe post this question on the Ask a Migration agent section on this forum to see if you get any responses as to whether there would be any repercussions while the switch over is taking place as you would need to ensure that you can legally remain in Australia. If you have cut all ties back home then this could be a problem.

The main downside of the 804 is the long processing time. You may also have limited Medicare while on the bridging visa, although I assume you are currently on a bridging visa of some sort at the moment. Also, due to the long processing time you would be required to pass another medical shortly before visa grant which could be problematic after such a long time. I have heard of people not passing the medical but have not heard what the outcome was as to whether they were allowed to stay or not. Also you would probably not be entitled to apply for any benefits during that time.

Is there a possibility that you could go the 884/864 route? The 884 is a temporary visa for 2 years and then you need to apply for the permanent visa. It would at least allow you to split the cost.

Alternatively there is a new temporary parent visa being introduced in July which would allow you to stay in Australia for 5 years and would give you a breathing space. However, as has already been mentioned, the parent visa fees are likely to increase and there is talk of limiting the 103 (the offshore version of the 804) to applicants on humanitarian grounds.

It might be advisable to have a chat with a migration agent to see what your options are.

Edited by Bridgeman

My wife and I (both 66) have two daughters, both of whom are now citizens in Australia. We are living with one daughter in Melbourne and applied for contributory aged parent visas (864) a few months ago. We are quite confident we will be granted these visas, but due to the collapse of the pound, we will struggle to find the $90k to pay for them. We are not sure if we could swap to non-contributory aged parent (804), but if we could, can anyone advise what would be the disadvantages?

Hi Liverpoollies

i feel for you ... The crash in the pound has buggered up many plans I think, including ours ... We have the visa but nowhere to live as yet!

I think bridgeman is right in suggesting you talk to an agent to see what you best options are. Be aware that you have to pay the initial fee again if you swap because you are cancelling one application, and starting another. I think it's mean, but we had to pay when we swapped from a 103 to a 143 application. I think the major worry would be if you had to wait a long time for your non contributory visa to come through, and you developed health issues that failed your medical in the mean time you could, in the worst case scenario, be asked to leave - although I don't know if this has ever happened.

Good luck.