Positive England reactions.

bristolman

Yes totally agree......never tire of the drive through the alps......quite stunning......my fav is the drive past Lausanne and on to and through the Grand Saint Bernard Tunnel.......some unbelievable scenery.......was cycling in the alps last August.....skiing last week.....will probably be going back for a summer break and then cycling again towards the end of the summer......its a regular haunt of mine :)

I used to live just outside Nyon and in the winter went the short train ride to St Cergue - lovely wee place.

St Cergue

st cergue.jpg

st cergue.jpg

st cergue.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely to read such positive feedback.. We are desperate to move home but until recently had not considered it an option as we would be back to where we were financially when we left the UK 12 years ago..However we have now decided that we are going home and are starting to make plans....

Out of interest which area of the U.K. have you settled back to?

Well I don't want to be the sour grapes in this mutual love in but I would really advise people to do their own research by reading some back editions of websites such as the Mail, the independent, the Guardian, the BBC, ITV news websites and make their own assessments with particular reference to rents, price and size of houses,the NHS, aged care, projected closure of hospitals, availibility of benefits, repercussions from brexit, lack of investment in infrastructure, Council budget cuts, the decline of towns away from the south of the country, shortages of teachers, doctors,GP's , nurses.

People can then make their own minds up.

I would not deny employment for those in the right place and with the right quals is good and wages are going up but only slowly but there is nothing to beat doing some research.

There are pluses to being here and we came back for those but we are well insulated from the repercussions of govt decisions, and do not have to have jobs to pay for children and mortgage nor carve out a career.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Well I don't want to be the sour grapes in this mutual love in but I would really advise people to do their own research by reading some back editions of websites such as the Mail, the independent, the Guardian, the BBC, ITV news websites and make their own assessments with particular reference to rents, price and size of houses,the NHS, aged care, projected closure of hospitals, availibility of benefits, repercussions from brexit, lack of investment in infrastructure, Council budget cuts, the decline of towns away from the south of the country, shortages of teachers, doctors,GP's , nurses.

People can then make their own minds up.

I would not deny employment for those in the right place and with the right quals is good and wages are going up but only slowly but there is nothing to beat doing some research.

There are pluses to being here and we came back for those but we are well insulated from the repercussions of govt decisions, and do not have to have jobs to pay for children and mortgage nor carve out a career.

Give it a rest will you, you were moaning at Bristolman for misrepresenting the facts, and then you make out as if the place is going to the dogs, the facts are, unemployment is low, the economy is growing, wages are growing, the NHS still provides a superb service, of course problems exist, name me a country that doesn't have challenges, it's not perfect, but trying to scare people off from returning just because you are in a huff over Brexit is pretty poor.

Give it a rest will you, you were moaning at Bristolman for misrepresenting the facts, and then you make out as if the place is going to the dogs, the facts are, unemployment is low, the economy is growing, wages are growing, the NHS still provides a superb service, of course problems exist, name me a country that doesn't have challenges, it's not perfect, but trying to scare people off from returning just because you are in a huff over Brexit is pretty poor.

Why don't you give it a rest, I told people to do their own research and suggested the issues which seem to occupy a lot of newspaper inches as items to be researched so that people can make up their own minds

I don't understand why views on this have to be so polarised. Just about every country you can think of has its good and bad areas and its almost always possible to find a really nice spot to live given the money and the willpower.

Britain has always been a great place to live for all the reasons mentioned here - but it would be foolish to contemplate settling here without taking account of the current difficulties with social and health care and - in some towns - housing.

It's not a question of talking down Britain or indeed, talking it up. Its a question of looking squarely at the pros and cons, realising that it isn't all milk and honey, and then making a decision. I think its better to know the pitfalls as soon as possible rather than to have a nasty surprise after moving back, when its too late to change your mind.

*like*

Quite right Fisher1.

Mind you it won't stop the arguments from continuing. :SLEEP:

People returning to the UK will more than likely settle very well. At least they are familiar with the country and hopefully will have family/friends to give advice.

The whole thread was set up as a counter "argument" to another thread, so has had the required effect for the OP.

The U.K. Just like Auatralia is a very nice first world country and the likelihood is anyone emigrating either way will get on just fine with a bit of grit and determination and with the right research.

The whole thread was set up as a counter "argument" to another thread, so has had the required effect for the OP.

The U.K. Just like Auatralia is a very nice first world country and the likelihood is anyone emigrating either way will get on just fine with a bit of grit and determination and with the right research.

well said ,life is not easy and you get out of it what you put in

both countries have good a bad points ,they way some posters try to big one up over the other gets tiring.

To be fair, the girls wore very short skirts and shorts at the school he went to here. Made sense though 'cos it's warm and sunny. A lot of time in the UK you have to wrap up.

Strange you mention the kids seeming to hold onto being young longer, I've often heard and experienced the reverse.

Like other posters say though, depends where you live in either country.

To be fair, the girls wore very short skirts and shorts at the school he went to here. Made sense though 'cos it's warm and sunny. A lot of time in the UK you have to wrap up.

Strange you mention the kids seeming to hold onto being young longer, I've often heard and experienced the reverse.

My sister and her pals' skirts were so short they were the same length as their school blazers - that was back in the late 1960's and in Scotland. :laugh: Didn't seem to matter how cold it was either.

Haha I remember tottering past the golf club in the middle of November in a skirt so short my dad called it a pelmet. The wind came sweeping off the sea straight across the golf course - we never let being half frozen get in the way of fashion:wink:

I think the same argument exists in both countries, people have different opinions based on their experiences which are related to their circumstances. The longer you are away the less you know about the current reality. If someone is telling me negative things about Australia but they lived there 10 years ago, I'm going to take their advice with a pinch of salt. I'd prefer knowledge and experience from people who still live there or have just moved. I would be exactly the same if I was considering moving back to the UK. I think this is why there is so many polarised views?!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, you got that spot on correct, the vote went the wrong way for him so everything is crap. Fortunately he is in the minority and I doubt many listen to his rants.

Yep, you got that spot on correct, the vote went the wrong way for him so everything is crap. Fortunately he is in the minority and I doubt many listen to his rants.

I suppose it went the wrong way for Lord Heseltine and John Major as well, they don't think much of the merry gang of brexiteers or Theresa May or where they are taking us.

One is an ex Tory prime minister and the other a Tory Grandee.

This bunch of brexiteer noddies are going to be done up like a string of kippers.

Goodbye UKIP, no Aarron Banks, and Farage has got himself a rental in Trump town, Washington, which is where he must reckon the big money is now after the EU are investigating his expenses fiddles.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

I suppose it went the wrong way for Lord Heseltine and John Major as well, they don't think much of the merry gang of brexiteers or Theresa May or where they are taking us.

One is an ex Tory prime minister and the other a Tory Grandee.

This bunch of brexiteer noddies are going to be done up like a string of kippers.

Goodbye UKIP, no Aarron Banks, and Farage has got himself a rental in Trump town, Washington, which is where he must reckon the big money is now after the EU are investigating his expenses fiddles.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

Give it a rest ,you are boring now .

Get yourself a hobby