Where to move?

Stambar

My husband and I and our 3 boys (ages 8,10 and 12) are planning on moving out to Australia, but are not sure where to head. We have a regional sponsored visa for Mid north coast NSW, so have to move within that region. We have looked at Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie and Bellingen as potentials. We would really appreciate any insight (good or bad) into those areas to help us make a decision.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are all nice spots. All by or near the coast. Not an expert as have never lived there but it would seem you'd get many of the benefits of living here with less of the high expense for property.

If you can work in these places it's probably a good idea. No idea about schools but that's a whole big debate here with state schools, church schools and private schools.

Bellingen is a little bit alternative/slightly hippie type place, which is fine with me. The other two are towns/resorts by the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be worth taking the best looking job he can find that doesn't specifically need quals/tickets and volunteering for the RFS. Full time paid firefighter jobs might not be that thick on the ground but the RFS are like local heroes, so there'll be no better way of both embedding yourselves in the community or networking to open up good job opportunities

My wife is a nurse and has found work easily over here. She now gets paid more money working less, so she is happy. There are many 'private health' jobs, but she has just worked for NSW health. They are a decent lot. A bit like the NHS but not quite as under pressure financially. I guess there are options, but with the gov jobs, you get a standardised working contract, pretty straightforward. Steady shifts, pay, not having to help make some corporate entity rich etc.

No real insight on firefighting jobs, but there are lots of fore engines about. But many are volunteers as ^ NSP said. Maybe with good experience and skills that could also work out pretty well.

Before we got here my wife tried applying for jobs, and got nowhere. It was disconcerting at the time, but in hindsight, we realise they just aren't interested until you are here with all your Ahpra and other registrations in place. So when we got here, we did panic that we couldn't get work, but it's turned out well for her.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... We too arrived on a regional visa. We chose Coffs Harbour and so glad we did. Hospital is ALWAYS looking for staff so you wont struggle. Housing is affordable, lifestyle is just amazing, beaches are lush. We cant believe we live in this little pocket of paradise.

If you want to add me on facebook 'Debbie Cherry' I can message and pass on any more advice