Cricket coach: what certification requirements

Indianinoz

Hello,

I'm in Sydney and I'm interested in becoming a cricket coach. I've coached students in India(informally, without any proper certification i.e. out of passion). However, in Australia of course it is recommended to do all kinds of legality before going to ahead.

So what are the requirements? I've completed my level 1 of cricket coaching from Cricket NSW(also known as Community coach). What else? If I'm working with children, do you think I need some kind of a 'working with children certificate'? If yes, until what age group?

Also, what about my liability if someone gets hurt, whether it is the students or some third party? Should I get insurance for the same? At the moment I'm targeting teaching some student 2 hours per week. So if the insurance itself is about $1,200 per annum, it wouldn't make economic sense since my earning would be somewhat similar. What should be done in such a scenario?

Hi see if this link helps - http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/get-involved/coaching-cricket

Im a coach (not cricket) and the correct accreditation and Blue Card are a must. If you have yet to get your blue card i would do it now, in QLD it can take a while to process.

Cal x

Thanks for your reply!

1) Accreditation: Yes I have got the level 1 community cricket coach certifiate from NSW. I assume this is enough.

2) Blue card/working with children check: In NSW, they call it 'working with children check'. I will apply for that soon.

3) Insurance: how do you handle this? What level of cover is sufficient?

Im employed by a sports club so they have the insurance although having a valid accreditation gives you some cover.

If i was you i would contact all the cricket clubs nearby and see if they need coaches, be warned lots of coaching jobs here are voluntary and not paid positions.

Cal x

Hi Cal,

Thanks for your reply! I have found the following which gives insurance at affordable rates for cricket coaches:

https://cricket.jltsport.com.au/documents/CC_Application_Form.pdf?4b9bcb

My question: How important is the venue? Can you just go to a public park(say for egParramatta park in Sydney) and coach? My idea it to keep it simple. Coach friends, relatives and their kids for free. Coach outsiders for a nominal fee of say $30 per hour. Idea is not to make profit. Idea is to kind of cover your costs and cover something for your time. That is it. Do I need to get a permission from the council which owns the park? If not, will this impact insurance? What could be the other consequences of not getting a permit from the council?

Hi Cal,

Thanks for your reply! I have found the following which gives insurance at affordable rates for cricket coaches:

https://cricket.jltsport.com.au/documents/CC_Application_Form.pdf?4b9bcb

My question: How important is the venue? Can you just go to a public park(say for egParramatta park in Sydney) and coach? My idea it to keep it simple. Coach friends, relatives and their kids for free. Coach outsiders for a nominal fee of say $30 per hour. Idea is not to make profit. Idea is to kind of cover your costs and cover something for your time. That is it. Do I need to get a permission from the council which owns the park? If not, will this impact insurance? What could be the other consequences of not getting a permit from the council?

Hate to sound negative but I am a ECB Level 2 qualified cricket coach. What you are proposing sounds unrealistic to me. Firstly $30ph is not that nominal I would suggest. You will need to purchase suitable equipment at the outset. How many children will you coach at one time? How will you deal with varying age ranges and abilities?

I coached entirely voluntarily in England but the club I was with charged a very nominal fee (less than £10 for 2 hours). We had over a hundred children split into various age ranges. I would generally work with 15-20 of the same age and have a couple of Level 1 assistants helping. I needed these sort of numbers in order that they could enjoy some games as part of the 2 hour session as pure coaching becomes boring for young children otherwise. We also ran teams in each range on Sunday morning so the Wednesday evening coaching had an end goal for many of the children though some were there solely for fun or to be with their mates. And parents were happy because the club had a bar and would have a weekly barbecue which is where the club made the money rather than coaching fees, plus they had volunteers like myself.

If you want to coach cricket being involved with a local club is easier but unless you are highly qualified (Level 3) then unfortunately I cannot see many people paying you.

• 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, Indianinoz said:

Is first aid certification mandatory for a sports coach? If yes, of if no but recommended, where can I get the first aid certification relevant for sports(especially cricket)?

........lots of places run first aid courses

........st johns ambulance is one

.........just search first aid course in your area

........sports coaches need one ime...

https://www.firstaidcoach.com.au/

http://sma.org.au/state-branches/nt/nt-ssp-events/safer-sport-education/sma-branches-newntsafer-sport-educationsports-first-aidsports-first-aid/

Edited by Tink
  • Thanks 1