Applying For PR, working here on 457 visa

JoGeach

Hi, after being told last year my husband's company was going to sponsor us for PR, he was informed this week they are not going sponsor anybody. So now we have to do it ourselves. He will have been employed in same job for 2years this April. We are located in Melbourne. My question is "where do we start!" and "looking for recommendations of lawyers in Melbourne to assist with application". Thank you

Hi, after being told last year my husband's company was going to sponsor us for PR, he was informed this week they are not going sponsor anybody. So now we have to do it ourselves. He will have been employed in same job for 2years this April. We are located in Melbourne. My question is "where do we start!" and "looking for recommendations of lawyers in Melbourne to assist with application". Thank you

From what you have posted, finding a way forward might not be straightforward.

You do not need the services of a lawyer, you need an assessment of your possible visa strategies from a registered migration agent.

Any of the registered migration agents who post on this forum could offer you sound advice. Their contact details are in their signatures.

Just make sure that your bridging visa allows you to leave the country. Know somebody going through this process currently (employer sponsored), went home for Xmas and had hassles coming back. Eventually had to come back on a holiday visa to get it resolved. Hasn't been able to work since coming back until the visa issue is resolved. Company are not happy with the agent and he has had to use up all his holidays.

Just make sure that your bridging visa allows you to leave the country. Know somebody going through this process currently (employer sponsored), went home for Xmas and had hassles coming back. Eventually had to come back on a holiday visa to get it resolved. Hasn't been able to work since coming back until the visa issue is resolved. Company are not happy with the agent and he has had to use up all his holidays.

To travel, it has to be a Bridging Visa B. Normally if a Bridging visa is issued its a BV A, to get a BV B you need to make a separate application.

However I can't see any mention of travelling or of even being on a Bridging Visa. If they stay in the same job they may go straight from 457 onto a PR visa without needing a Bridging Visa at all.

Edited by Nemesis