Renting property in Aus

Wozzakai

My husband and I have been granted a permanent residency visa and we are looking to move to Cairns in March. I am wondering if it is possible to rent straight away when we first arrive and how we would go about doing this? Also what evidence do we need? Everywhere seems to say proof of a job. Do I need to have worked shifts in the job or just prove that I will have an income in the country?

Thanks

My husband and I have been granted a permanent residency visa and we are looking to move to Cairns in March. I am wondering if it is possible to rent straight away when we first arrive and how we would go about doing this? Also what evidence do we need? Everywhere seems to say proof of a job. Do I need to have worked shifts in the job or just prove that I will have an income in the country?

Thanks

You can try & secure a rental before you get here but you probably won't have any success. We tried the same thing ourselves before we moved 18 months ago. 99% of the real estates didn't even reply to me when I enquired. The rental market is a bit different here...you don't book viewings for property, you just get told a day & a time & turn up with 20 other people & you get 15 minutes to look around. If you decide you like it you either collect an application form off the agent on the day or you apply online. It's dog eat dog, especially here in Sydney. My advice would be to book an Air B&B for a month when you first arrive & go from there. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Wozzakai if you were moving to Melbourne I would have said forget trying to find a property before you get here as agents won't entertain you. However, the Cairns market is a little different and a couple will and will allow you to fax through the paperwork from overseas. What I will say is don't jump at a property based on photos alone, this is general advice not just for Cairns as agents are good at photo angles. If you need any advice on Cairns let me know.

In regards to evidence, you don't need proof of a job but you do need proof you can pay. For example if you have no job and a $1000 in the bank you will struggle. If you have no savings then agents usually want proof of monthly income to be between 3 and 4 times your weekly rent. So if you want to rent a house at $300 a week you would need to be earning around $1200 a month.

It sounds amazing if Cairns works a little differently. I think we have settled on moving to a hostel whilst we have a look around Cairns to find the property we want, hopefully by then I will have proof of a job anyway but if we just need proof of being able to pay that sounds better. Do you know which particular companies will accept this? This has been really helpful thanks.

From our own personal experience every agent is different. We had about $20,000 in the bank when we arrived & my husband had a full time job & only 1 agent were willing to accept us...but we live in Sydney which is a very different ball game to Cairns!

Sydney has a crazy rental market but with Cairns being so small & not a major city you should be ok. The agents don't help you find anywhere...you find the property you like & then you apply. Yes we found a place ok in the end. We hand delivered the application & buttered them up so they could see we were reliable people :)

Don't forget as well that unless you're spending big money the general condition of properties in Australia is probably considered a poor standard in comparison to the UK. Cairns not being such a modern city & very tropical I would most definitely be wanting to inspect a place before committing to rent it so I think waiting until you get there is definitely advantageous in other ways too

Despite being a new country I think in general unless you live in a new build properties are definitely pretty shabby compared to the UK. I've lived & rented in both Melbourne & Sydney & I've also property searched on the Gold Coast as well & found that to be the case. We pay $700 a week in Sydney for a pretty old fashioned apartment...again that's Sydney for you, but in the UK most people wouldn't look twice at a place like that. I guess the Aussies don't spend as much time indoors so they aren't always as house proud as the Brits in that respect