Dismal England reactions?

Pixie77

That is a pointless debate to get into, though I know you like it, as it depends on relative salaries etc My comment was in response to taxes being about the same which with VAT and GST they patently are not.

No, the price you pay is the price you pay, it makes no difference whether the tax component is 10% or 90% if the price you pay is less or comparable.

We don't pay anymore overall in taxes.

No, the price you pay is the price you pay, it makes no difference whether the tax component is 10% or 90% if the price you pay is less or comparable.

I would be interested to know why the poster thinks we do, as the tax rates look pretty similar. Possibly the post brexit drop in the pound temporarily skews the results, but around 2:1 they look pretty similar. Edited by newjez

I would be interested to know why the poster thinks we do, as the tax rates look pretty similar. Possibly the post brexit drop in the pound temporarily skews the results, but around 2:1 they look pretty similar.

Yes I'm as surprised as you are but many of their statements were let's just say unusual.

I forgot to ask, has anyone else felt more anxiety and worry moving back to the UK than they felt when leaving the UK for a new country?

Yes I feel it's bigger now I want to return. Maybe it is because it is I, singular that wants to return and have done for a long time. Meanwhile Mr fishface happy as Larry even though he knows I am not.

It also makes no difference whether income tax is 10% or 90% either as it is all about net pay really or actual spending power. I doubt though it is much different in the median in either place but again, the point was being made about relative tax rates but if you are convinced that 10=20 then fine.

I'm on a VAT flat rate supplier scheme at 14.5 percent, I collect at 20 and pay at 14.5 gross, to me it is simple, straightforward and a great way to manage my Quarter VAT return as my supply is of professional services and I do not have a large COS, GST on the other hand was an absolute pain in the derriere , each bloody month collecting receipts , 2.5 cents here, 1.1 dollars there, loads of work, inefficient, myopic and wholly open to abuse.

by contrast , VAT takes me about 10 min each QTR here the the UK

Edited by deryans

Yes the difference is the council tax is just included in the rent as you say, landlords don't pay it out of the kindness of their hearts. This contributes to why rents are so high.

Our rent in Oz is cheaper than the rent we paid in the UK and we have a bigger house. It's very difficult to compare like for like because ultimately no where is alike and locations vary. That said if I was from up north somewhere I'd probably moan rents were high in Oz. So the council tax may be included in rents but saying that's why rents are so expensive is an opinion and not factual.

Our rent in Oz is cheaper than the rent we paid in the UK and we have a bigger house. It's very difficult to compare like for like because ultimately no where is alike and locations vary. That said if I was from up north somewhere I'd probably moan rents were high in Oz. So the council tax may be included in rents but saying that's why rents are so expensive is an opinion and not factual.

When I look at rentals in Oz I find our rent will be cheaper. We're moving from the North of England to Tassie...perhaps wouldn't be as favourable if we were going to Sydney or Melbourne.

Edited by Bound4Tassie

When I look at rentals in Oz I find our rent will be cheaper. Were moving from the North of England to Tassie...perhaps wouldn't be as favourable if we were going to Sydney or Melbourne.

Yes, it would be different. We're in the north of England too and our rent is a third what it was in Sydney in 2009. Our house here is a bit bigger by one extra bedroom and reception room, but obviously no pool ;).

I suppose if you moved from Tassie to London it would make your eyes water too!!

Exactly! We have to pay our daughter's rent in London (she's at uni there) - one room in a shared house costs over a third of what we're paying for a six bedroom farmhouse up in the wilds! This year she's in Russia and her rent is £250 pcm for half a two bed flat. Not looking forward to her being back in London next year!

We're looking at Melbourne for later this year which will be more expensive than here or Tassie! Maybe we should have a rethink..

Don't know about Tassie, but our rent is less than half what we paid in rent in Oz. House is a bit smaller - 2 bedroom compared to 3 and a LOT smaller than the house we built, which I was concerned my wife wouldn't like. In reality, she has said she loves it and cant understand why the heck we ended up in such a big house for two of us as she spent forever and a day cleaning it.

Don't know about Tassie, but our rent is less than half what we paid in rent in Oz. House is a bit smaller - 2 bedroom compared to 3 and a LOT smaller than the house we built, which I was concerned my wife wouldn't like. In reality, she has said she loves it and cant understand why the heck we ended up in such a big house for two of us as she spent forever and a day cleaning it.

Wilds of Scotland like Tas won't attract higher rents so it's all relative as to which country has the cheapest rentals. Pointless arguing about it really!

Well in our experience it is certainly factual.

Lol, I'm getting the opposite reaction - we're moving back to the UK in April and everyone is like "Wow, awesome opportunity!" and I'm like "Noooo, I love Melbourne too much!". I'm sure it will be nice to see all our old friends and for our kids to spend time with DH's family but I'm going to miss my mummy friends over here. Been looking at rentals in Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire and we are defo going to have to downgrade from what we have in Aus :-( And I nearly fell over at the cost of a rail season ticket to London :-O I'm consoling myself with the fact I can stay home with the kids and if the weather gets truly awful, disappear off to Europe for some sunshine.

Don't forget the bagel riots of Hertfordshire recently. But of a bun fight apparently. I never go anywhere without a baggett these days. Not sure what I'll do after brexit. Probably have to make do with a Chelsea bun. Be careful out there. The bread wars are coming.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4264054/amp/Fight-train-woman-places-bagel-man-s-head.html

Don't forget the bagel riots of Hertfordshire recently. But of a bun fight apparently. I never go anywhere without a baggett these days. Not sure what I'll do after brexit. Probably have to make do with a Chelsea bun. Be careful out there. The bread wars are coming.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4264054/amp/Fight-train-woman-places-bagel-man-s-head.html

Ba ha ha ha ha! I read that story too.

Lol, I'm getting the opposite reaction - we're moving back to the UK in April and everyone is like "Wow, awesome opportunity!" and I'm like "Noooo, I love Melbourne too much!". I'm sure it will be nice to see all our old friends and for our kids to spend time with DH's family but I'm going to miss my mummy friends over here. Been looking at rentals in Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire and we are defo going to have to downgrade from what we have in Aus :-( And I nearly fell over at the cost of a rail season ticket to London :-O I'm consoling myself with the fact I can stay home with the kids and if the weather gets truly awful, disappear off to Europe for some sunshine.

we definitely went to a smaller house in the UK, but much larger land (farm) in east sussex, weather has been fine, doris day killed our trampoline last weekend by moving it 2-3 fields away twice. We've been back here less than 20 months and the kids have been on many adventures, Spain, Greece, Egypt, France numerous times, Ireland, Scotland and am planning mid term for disneyland paris.

We were in Adelaide Oz, and no matter how much the sun shines, you simply can't have a life without a livelihood.