Dismal England reactions?

Pixie77

I really would not worry about the NHS.

I have just experienced it and went from calling my GP for an appointment to surgery in two weeks. That included two visits to hospital to see the consultant. The hospital was excellent, well staffed and modern. Could not fault a single aspect.

my wife has just been through breast cancer and our experience was excellent. First class service. A few administration bungles, but nothing major. I've had cancer for the last eleven years, and my treatment has been second to none. I know other postcodes may be different, but not in ours.

As for the economy, everything is going very well. No crystal ball to foretell the future, and there are white swans, but hopefully everyone will be sensible.

Ah but you have the magical Murray! I like Echuca, it has a good vibe. Much prefer it to,say, Ballarat. Except for the mozzies after the recent floods of course!

Yes, we do love being by the river. Flies and mozzies aside [emoji23]

And the town is great, all you need and if not you can get it from Bendigo or Shepparton (or do the 2.5 hours to Melbourne). Big enough to have stuff going on but small enough to have the community feel. We've been made to feel very welcome here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask, how your children have found it being back in Britain and do you think it has had or will have a negative impact on their lives?

One of the reasons I wanted to return is for my kids to enjoy time with their extended family and to live in a country with a lot more culture than there is in Old, plus the closeness of Europe. But I now wonder was that really a good enough reason for uprooting a family that was happy where they were, regardless of how I was feeling?

If those are your reasons for moving them I'm sure you'll be fine (once the initial reverse culture shock passes!). It's tough moving either way, especially when you're not 'escaping' something negative, and it can take time to settle. The first time we came back it took me a couple of years to stop comparing things here negatively with Australia. However, our children settled immediately and have had a very happy upbringing here (with another brief time in Aus in the middle). They have had some amazing opportunities and continue to do so. Our eldest is 22 and currently spending a year in Russia as part of her degree and the middle one has just found out that she's got a place to go and study in Shanghai with the British Council at Easter which, apart from her airfare, is fully funded. They had so many European visits and exchanges when they were at school, which were very affordable - they have grown up with a very global outlook.

Children have very similar opportunities here in other ways - swimming, scouts, drama etc. That's no different and we found it a lot cheaper because many activities are subsidised (although that might be a bit different now with the cuts councils are having to make).

We do go to Europe fairly often, sometimes on a whim if we find a good deal - it's very easy and affordable from here.

Just be prepared for an adjustment period and try not to replicate your Australian life here - there are different opportunities for you to explore and take advantage of! It's a tough move either way, but nothing has to be forever if you don't want it to be.

Hi @bunbury61 - I take it from your username you once lived here and know what I'm coming from - I live in Rockingham. I couldn't agree more and know the sun and beach will be long behind me once I move. I love having that on my door stop in Warnbro (best beach) but I'm too damn busy with commuting and working to ever get to it. I guess knowing it's there is different if taken away.

But I definitely won't be sitting back and expecting it to all fall in my lap and know I'm going to have to work at it and make the effort to see and do things. Which is what I'm hoping I can do (decent paying job permitting).

You summed up pretty much how me and hubby talk about this move and want to change our way of life.

Yes little houses is not something I'm looking forward to - but I'm a keen gardener so I'm going to see plenty of that.

There's crap everywhere and we have plenty of it here too. Still a bit move and wouldn't be honest if I said I didn't have some trepidation - but I'm not dreading it or overwhelmed with fear and regret.

Appreciate the feedback

Sue

Used to know the area well ...for all its faults ,there is so much choice here ,if you open your eyes.

London I a couple of hours....paris in 3 hours ...rome ,venice,lucerne ,Prague,Krakow ...go do it

I instigated a move back to the UK after 8/9 years here but the Mrs has kiboshed it, she had a couple of weeks back recently and hated it. Bit disappointed for myself but happy here if she is.

Point is, as per the OP, no-one in the UK could even believe we were considering it.

I just wish people would stop claiming that the health service is not in crisis just because they personally have had a good experience. I fear for the future under this government, and that is not me being negative its me being realistic.

I am planning to move to Australia with misgivings because I love my country and in many ways I think it's one of the best places in the world to live - certainly my corner is. We live by the sea, we have beautiful mountain views, we have wonderful neighbours and enjoy being able to spend much of our time outside because it seldom becomes so cold that we need to stay indoors.

I believe our education system is surviving the constant attempts to reform it and is in the main efficient and effective. Taxes are fair and reasonable, and I am happy with public transport, apart from the odd hiccup. (Of course if I lived in the south I would probably feel differently.).

But the health service is failing.

my treatment wasn't a one off. I have been treated over eleven years, and the treatment I have received has been first class. But, I do live in the south of England, and I do have a specific illness. The major problem I see with the NHS at the moment is A&E. This seems to be the major point of failure. That and bedblocking.

I am describing what is a realistic picture of the UK! Can you seriously tell me that taxes are not high (and higher than Australia), the health service is in crisis, UK Uni fees are exhorbitant so much so that kids are now reconsidering going due to a 40-50k debt at the end of it, roads full of pot holes, high rents, traffic, overcrowding, do I really need to go on.. There is equally lots of opportunities and choices for kids in Australia... For example it rates very highly when it comes to opportunities in Science and Scientific research. BTW, it has worked out, I simply point out the difficulties in re establishing here and how much harder it is than Australia, my daughters are achieving well academically (through their own hard work mind you as Education here is poor compared to a good school State school in Melbourne) my husband has a good job.. etc etc...
you're not wrong. But you do sound a little like it wasn't your decision to return, and you are not happy with the situation. To address your points.

Potholes, yes I agree. But that is the way it goes. It's always bad this time of year. The frost tends to weaken, then the rain washes it away. They tend to wait until spring to fix.

I haven't done a tax comparison. But from experience Australia wasn't that low.

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/uk/taxsummaries/wwts.nsf/ID/Australia-Individual-Taxes-on-personal-income

Obviously you have NI, Medicare levy.

Health service is in crisis, but the crisis is not spread evenly, and many people have not experienced it first hand.

Uni fees are high. My kids are considering going to university locally to reduce their debt. There is no reflection on the cost of a course, or the need of the country for people to train in that course.

Rents are high, but they are in Australia too.

Traffic is bad, but it can be in Australia too, and it does depend on where you live.

The UK is overcrowded, possibly why some voted for brexit.

The weather? The last two years have been pretty good. It can get much worse than that.

You're points are valid. Some people can't take criticism of the UK. If it hasn't happened to them it's not real. Don't let the trolls upset you.

Personally I think both countries are good, and that moving between them can be traumatic, but isn't always.

Edited by newjez

I am describing what is a realistic picture of the UK! Can you seriously tell me that taxes are not high (and higher than Australia), the health service is in crisis, UK Uni fees are exhorbitant so much so that kids are now reconsidering going due to a 40-50k debt at the end of it, roads full of pot holes, high rents, traffic, overcrowding, do I really need to go on.. There is equally lots of opportunities and choices for kids in Australia... For example it rates very highly when it comes to opportunities in Science and Scientific research. BTW, it has worked out, I simply point out the difficulties in re establishing here and how much harder it is than Australia, my daughters are achieving well academically (through their own hard work mind you as Education here is poor compared to a good school State school in Melbourne) my husband has a good job.. etc etc...

Taxes are about the same.

Health, well it is certainly in the news a lot, but as someone who has just gone through the system and with a father who has more things wrong than right, we have found it excellent.

Uni fees are high. Though most kids should not go to uni.

Roads full of pot holes? Really? I drive about 1500 miles a month and don't experience that.

I am a scientist, far more opportunity here.

Cant comment on on schools as don't have children, but family a number of whom are more travelled than us (lived in 13 countries) find it excellent.

I have a good job. Something which I didn't have for the last 18 months we were in Oz.

I haven't done a tax comparison. But from experience Australia wasn't that low.

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/current-rates-and-allowances

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/uk/taxsummaries/wwts.nsf/ID/Australia-Individual-Taxes-on-personal-income

Obviously you have NI, Medicare levy.

Don't wish to join this debate but people overlook VAT at 20% compared with GST at 10%.

Don't worry, many of us don't recognise the country talked about in the post you quoted. It bears no resemblance to the country we are living in. It's normal to be apprehensive about such a big move.

This will be our third move, the other being UK/NZ, NZ/OZ. I didn't feel like I do now with the other moves. Mainly because we were younger, we had more hopes than fears and we were viewing it as an adventure, going to live in a sub tropical climate. In New Zealand, I'd go sailing and would see Blue Penguins swimming around or when driving across the North Island, going past active Volcanoes. In Australia, I remember driving along the Pacific motorway thinking what a great name for a road, (even though it is also called the M1). I loved seeing the road sign for Cairns, 1680kms. Or seeing a Kangaroo for the first time though they're a pain in the a*se now having had a few jump in front of my car at night over the years but back then, we were living in Australia! So exotic and exciting. But returning to the UK, my homeland and as much as I love it, it's hard to look at this move as adventure, we know what to expect and then some...but, having said that we will be moving to a different area to where we lived before, we will try to view it as a new country and embrace everything that makes the UK great and unique. We are determined to do things we didn't do before and do the things we missed doing while being overseas. We will enjoy being able to visit family when we feel like and look forward to getting a bit drunk with them over the Christmas period!

One thing that does worry me is the state of the NHS. Though a few of my UK family have recently had experiences of the NHS either for surgery or as Out Patients, they generally have good things to say, the cracks are definitely showing. One thing I cannot complain about is the level of health care here (in Brisbane, anyway). If there are problems I haven't witnessed any. The stories I hear about the NHS these days is concerning and it worries me that where we choose to live dictates the level of healthcare we receive. Surely the solution has to be an Australian Medicare style system. While it can be expensive and frustrating such as when having to pay to see a GP for a follow up appointment, there is a partial rebate on what you've paid out and it prevents people from turning up unnecessarily, clogging up the system. It must be the way to go.

Pointless thing to say but I just wish we could fast forward 6 months, get the crap we have to go through out of the way so we can start living our normal lives again and enjoy our new country.

T

I just wish we could fast forward 6 months, get the crap we have to go through out of the way so we can start living our normal lives again and enjoy our new country.

You and me both. Just organised removalists quote when developed toothache. Went to dentist to be told I needed root canal work. Started root canal work yesterday and told there is a problem and may have to be referred to endodontist. Won't know until next week how long all this will take :( Fortunately I have not booked my flight yet. Sigh. I know worse things happen but I really do not need this right now

I do wish people would listen to those actually working in the NHS! There are always posters who pop up with " well I only waited 2.weeks" etc etc. Seriously stop being blind. Stop taking it for granted or you will lose it. Please listen up to people who know because they work in it every day!

Sorry love but no one is going to take you seriously whilst you are writing silly s#it stirring cr#p like this.......

He's got a point though....most of the Leave voters were quite thick and incapable of understanding wider arguments. They based their their vote on " too many fookin immigrants taking our jobs". Er, have you applied for any jobs this week? No couldn't be arsed putting me can o beer and fag down .

This will be our third move, the other being UK/NZ, NZ/OZ. I didn't feel like I do now with the other moves. Mainly because we were younger, we had more hopes than fears and we were viewing it as an adventure, going to live in a sub tropical climate. In New Zealand, I'd go sailing and would see Blue Penguins swimming around or when driving across the North Island, going past active Volcanoes. In Australia, I remember driving along the Pacific motorway thinking what a great name for a road, (even though it is also called the M1). I loved seeing the road sign for Cairns, 1680kms. Or seeing a Kangaroo for the first time though they're a pain in the a*se now having had a few jump in front of my car at night over the years but back then, we were living in Australia! So exotic and exciting. But returning to the UK, my homeland and as much as I love it, it's hard to look at this move as adventure, we know what to expect and then some...but, having said that we will be moving to a different area to where we lived before, we will try to view it as a new country and embrace everything that makes the UK great and unique. We are determined to do things we didn't do before and do the things we missed doing while being overseas. We will enjoy being able to visit family when we feel like and look forward to getting a bit drunk with them over the Christmas period!

One thing that does worry me is the state of the NHS. Though a few of my UK family have recently had experiences of the NHS either for surgery or as Out Patients, they generally have good things to say, the cracks are definitely showing. One thing I cannot complain about is the level of health care here (in Brisbane, anyway). If there are problems I haven't witnessed any. The stories I hear about the NHS these days is concerning and it worries me that where we choose to live dictates the level of healthcare we receive. Surely the solution has to be an Australian Medicare style system. While it can be expensive and frustrating such as when having to pay to see a GP for a follow up appointment, there is a partial rebate on what you've paid out and it prevents people from turning up unnecessarily, clogging up the system. It must be the way to go.

Pointless thing to say but I just wish we could fast forward 6 months, get the crap we have to go through out of the way so we can start living our normal lives again and enjoy our new country.

post brexit I expect this is the way it will go, but also with private providers competing with public. This is the real worry, having seen how the gas and electric and trains have gone. I also think pensions will become means tested like Australia.

You and me both. Just organised removalists quote when developed toothache. Went to dentist to be told I needed root canal work. Started root canal work yesterday and told there is a problem and may have to be referred to endodontist. Won't know until next week how long all this will take :( Fortunately I have not booked my flight yet. Sigh. I know worse things happen but I really do not need this right now
ouch, and CA Ching for the dentist. My wife had that.

Not directly but you can bet the landlord factors them into the rent along with the strata fees if applicable.

Yes the difference is the council tax is just included in the rent as you say, landlords don't pay it out of the kindness of their hearts. This contributes to why rents are so high.

Taxes are about the same.

Health, well it is certainly in the news a lot, but as someone who has just gone through the system and with a father who has more things wrong than right, we have found it excellent.

Uni fees are high. Though most kids should not go to uni.

Roads full of pot holes? Really? I drive about 1500 miles a month and don't experience that.

I am a scientist, far more opportunity here.

Cant comment on on schools as don't have children, but family a number of whom are more travelled than us (lived in 13 countries) find it excellent.

I have a good job. Something which I didn't have for the last 18 months we were in Oz.

This is why the experiences of that poster just seemed so alien, it was hard to recognise any of the complaints mentioned.

Our kids are thriving in their school and the teachers always seem to turn up for their classes lol

Seriously you don't need to worry, as others have already said. You won't notice any difference to what you are I used to in Australia. Perhaps we were unlucky but our experiences in Brisbane and here in Herefordshire couldn't have been more different and left us with a bit of a distorted view of the Aussie system perhaps.

Unfortunately you will find exactly the same issues in both countries.

https://thewest.com.au/news/health/public-hospitals-in-state-of-emergency-ama-ng-s-1677400