Dismal England reactions?

Pixie77

Have to agree with some of the school comments, I do feel for you, My Aussie daughter has commented the same , make-up, handbags etc ,there are a few Chav's as she calls them in her classes, however she has made a good small set of friends (3-4) same as in adelaide and to be honest, she also had Chav's in Adelaide even in her private school - just different accents and different clothes, it's life skill to be able to spot these people and navigate around them wherever you live. The clothes and appearance do not indicate the integrity of the person. Here projected GCES'a are looking mid-top band and that's where she needs to be.

We applied in-year, and our location was dictated by schools (minimum ofstead outstanding in all categories at least the preceding year) and not work (I work up in london , so any rail working network is fine lol ), we also had the kids baptised catholic in Oz which was very useful as our two teenagers went to the top of the queue and we had 2 Catholic schools to choose and one Grammar for each (had a bizarre father ted style interview to get them in lol, my CoE aussie wife thought it was hilarious)! Our youngest goes to the local village CoE, and that's been fine so far, except there is a little small mindedness amongst the local villagers on a certain topic, which my wife as an born and bred aussie stays well out of.

Our big key thing is that the school we have chosen is excellent at pastoral care, tuition and managing learning difficulties, our child is doing far far better than in Oz.

We had no issues with banks, security etc, I worked in law/criminal in Oz (lol that sounds wrong) but you get the jist. I also know how to push through the process and get things moving, even with no history of rental, no credit rating (which is a scam here to be honest) we managed a beautiful cottage in east sussex, pets no problem, bbq and open firepit, boys learning to shoot, and now a cat that hates me....

As regards friends, my wife is not entirely delighted that most of my old mates are still around London and we catchup whenever we can, but many have moved away and our life now revolves around the children - as it did in Oz, no difference there.

As regards Tuition fees, I don't think Australia is any cheaper , even with CSP , I had two chaps working for me in sydney in 2012 that had debts in the low 100's, and that was for a basic degree.

Weather is what you make of it, I've cycled in 38 degrees in Sydney/adelaide and -4 here in UK/Europe and the saying that there is no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing.

the big difference we notice with UK (east sussex) vs australia (adelaide) is the options presented, options for work, travel, play, courses, experience, learning, experience etc, we felt intellectually stifled, narrow and closed down in adelaide. Our network of friends that we have now regular contact with extends to Ireland, Africa, France, Channel Islands and the US (might pause on that while things settle down)....

For us its a journey, we are both Aus and EU citizens having lived in UK for many years prior to going out to oz, and it is always valuable to have options, right now Europe/Uk is where we choose.

Very good post and very realistic overall.

to be honest, if we had stayed in Sydney we would almost definitely still be in Oz, it was moving to adelaide that finished it for us. (even though we owned our house there!! lol)

I grew up in Geelong and know for a fact we wouldn't still be there lol. We didn't dislike Brisbane really but just felt there would be more opportunities here.

Sydney never really appeal led go me, way too much traffic and so expensive.

Hi, we moved back to the UK 2.5 years ago after spending 8 years away. Some years in Perth and some in Melbourne. My daughters were 5 and 6 when we moved out there and so teenagers when we came back. It was me ( the wife!) of the family who wanted to leave (and I had for a quite a while) everyone else was perfectly happy. Within 4 weeks of being back I started to wonder " why on earth did I want to come back" and 2.5 years later I still feel that way and I have a lot of regrets about leaving Australia. Basically I let my heart lead rather than head and I know that some say that you should follow your heart...

Reasons for leaving: I wanted to see more of family and old friends; even after 8 years I didn't feel "at home" and I found it difficult to make close friends other than with other English people (despite trying hard and taking up opportunities when they presented, although maybe I could have tried harder..); I struggled with the high temperatures in the Summer (and didn't want to move to Tasmania nor somewhere like SW WA- as lovely as they are for a holiday); for some bizarre reason I wanted my daughters to be able to access UK Universities as domestic students rather than overseas (need 3 yrs residency) etc and so the list goes on. UK University fees are now some of the most expensive in the World, higher that in Australia (taking into account Commonwealth loans etc)..

So anyway our experiences of coming back. I will just mention that we were very lucky and my husband had also been offered 2 different jobs back here in the UK at the time, both as good (and one even better) than his job in Australia so we didn't come back to unemployment and he could well have eventually been made redundant in Australia due to a downturn in the mining industry and manufacturing. Anyway, the bottom line is that it was a complete hassle and frankly a nightmare at times in trying to sort out and establish life here again in the UK. By that I mean it was a nightmare trying to get school places (all schools are full and frankly there are not a lot of good ones in the State Sector in the area we had to live- dictated by job). Dealing with the LEA was like dealing with the military. Rude, unhelpful and totally lacking in flexibity. Despite the fact that we were born and bred here, still had UK bank accounts, NHS numbers, NI numbers and the fact that my husband was employed immediately it was very difficult and a hassle trying to sort other things out like getting reasonable car insurance, securing a house rental etc etc. The rental market in the UK is in crisis, there is little affordable decent accommodation available unless you want to live somewhere very remote (outer Hebrides maybe?). I know I am sounding negative and obviously we did get sorted eventually but it was extremely difficult despite the fact that are British Citizens, born and lived here for 40 years, paid taxes and NI for over 20 yrs etc. Why so difficult? The UK wasn't exactly welcoming so prepare yourselves for that.. When we moved to Australia, it was 100% easier. From school places to car insurance to bank accounts etc.. Everyone was pleased to have us there and to have our business. There is no doubt that during our 8 years away (2006-2014) the UK had changed a lot. A big obsession with security checks etc etc.

On starting at secondary school my daughters were initially horrified.. and said they couldn't stay there they had to leave. Everyone (girls) were made upto the nines in makeup, carrying handbags, gossiping and there were/ are many miserable depressed faces. At their High school in Australia there was no make up, lots of fun and kids were happy. They have settled now and made some friends but only the other day my youngest daughter said she missed talking about books they had read with friends at school (she is 15); here it is frowned upon by peers to show/admit that you actually read. So unless you can afford the exhorbitant fees of an independent school, be warned about most State Secondary Schools here in the UK. That said my eldest daughter has just got 12A*s in her GCSE's last Summer but it was down to sheer hard work on her part (and maybe from coming from such a good Education in Australia) and not to do with teaching. Apparently half the time teachers don't turn up on many occasions, there are kids swearing (at teachers and others), asleep at the desk, over 30+ in the class and so on. So frankly up against all that she did pretty well. I will just mention I am not talking about a rough inner city school here it's one in a nice semi rural area of W Sussex.

You are probably hoping there is no more but what else!? The hope of meeting up with family and old friends has been a complete disappointment (apart from parents and maybe a couple of old friends to be fair). Most friends have either not wanted to meet up or are just too busy.. Everyone here is much too busy and stressed compared to Australia. I know someone reading this might say why would anyone want to meet up with such a whinger (!). Point taken I am just trying to give a true picture. Frankly people won't make the effort, or don't have time or have simply moved on- probably a combination of all 3. Anyway I have stopped trying as have got the message and one new friend I have made who has lived overseas many years has in their wisdom advised- on coming back from overseas you have to start afresh. Make a new life with new friends etc as people just don't want to know- there will always be one or two old friends for whom this isn't the case but generally it is the case. They were right, you can't just slip back easily and you do have to start again.

Now I haven't even started on the weather.!I found Australian Summers stifling- I like the outdoors, walking and the like and couldn't do it for several months or not properly anyway. But I have found the grey, damp weather for a good half year or more as you find in the UK very depressing. I never wished life along in Australia whereas every Oct to March I wishing for it to be Spring again..

I haven't got into the disgraceful roads here (pot hole after pot hole), high taxes (making you feel quite poor and bear in mind high Council taxes- payable even as a tenant unlike in Oz)d), heavy traffic and overcrowding (yes health service in a crisis- all about juggling figures and not patient care) and then couple with all this there is this constant bombardment in the news now about Brexit, terrorism everywhere you go (esp Europe etc).

Anyway sorry to be so negative but truly think very carefully about throwing it all in and coming back. Think about your children's future. We have Citizenship so may well turn around one day and go back but are tied here now due to job, finishing education etc so are now trying to make the most of things.

What do I like about the UK? Apart from being able to see parents of course, then what I do like is what I would describe as "the depth" pf people. When someone asks how you are or speaks to you, perhaps just in a shop etc they seem to genuinely mean what they are saying.. There is a certain genuine friendliness that I didn't feel in Australia, even with strangers. The quirkiness of the UK. It's scruffy in many parts but there is character.. Whatever others might say I feel that the last couple of years the job market here has been pretty good.. not sure how it will keep going in the future. Online shopping and deliveries. All huge here and brilliant service. Sometimes you even get a delivery at 10pm Saturday evening. Post delivered on a Saturday!

Anyway there is lots to think about and it is just our experience.

I don't recognise the education system quite as you describe it but I think you may be in the influence zone of London which is pernicious in its influence, but I do recognise a lot of your comments as experiences that we have had, are having.

We came back Christmas 2012.

I just wish people would stop claiming that the health service is not in crisis just because they personally have had a good experience. I fear for the future under this government, and that is not me being negative its me being realistic.

I am planning to move to Australia with misgivings because I love my country and in many ways I think it's one of the best places in the world to live - certainly my corner is. We live by the sea, we have beautiful mountain views, we have wonderful neighbours and enjoy being able to spend much of our time outside because it seldom becomes so cold that we need to stay indoors.

I believe our education system is surviving the constant attempts to reform it and is in the main efficient and effective. Taxes are fair and reasonable, and I am happy with public transport, apart from the odd hiccup. (Of course if I lived in the south I would probably feel differently.).

But the health service is failing.

Edited by Fisher1

I just wish people would stop claiming that the health service is not in crisis just because they personally have had a good experience. I fear for the future under this government, and that is not me being negative its me being realistic.

I am planning to move to Australia with misgivings because I love my country and in many ways I think it's one of the best places in the world to live - certainly my corner is. We live by the sea, we have beautiful mountain views, we have wonderful neighbours and enjoy being able to spend much of our time outside because it seldom becomes so cold that we need to stay indoors.

I believe our education system is surviving the constant attempts to reform it and is in the main efficient and effective. Taxes are fair and reasonable, and I am happy with public transport, apart from the odd hiccup. (Of course if I lived in the south I would probably feel differently.).

The NHS is finished ,people are dying in corridors.

Coming here from north Wales too we had the same misgivings. And I still miss the view of Hope Mountain from our uk house [emoji22]

And where we are couldn't be more different, flat, dry, landlocked by 3 hours [emoji23]. But we actually feel settled and happy. Not to say I wouldn't return to north Wales one day (and we're fortunate we've kept our house there) but we love both places equally and financially, for us, here is better for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by saz71

Hi, we moved back to the UK 2.5 years ago after spending 8 years away. Some years in Perth and some in Melbourne. My daughters were 5 and 6 when we moved out there and so teenagers when we came back. It was me ( the wife!) of the family who wanted to leave (and I had for a quite a while) everyone else was perfectly happy. Within 4 weeks of being back I started to wonder " why on earth did I want to come back" and 2.5 years later I still feel that way and I have a lot of regrets about leaving Australia. Basically I let my heart lead rather than head and I know that some say that you should follow your heart...

Reasons for leaving: I wanted to see more of family and old friends; even after 8 years I didn't feel "at home" and I found it difficult to make close friends other than with other English people (despite trying hard and taking up opportunities when they presented, although maybe I could have tried harder..); I struggled with the high temperatures in the Summer (and didn't want to move to Tasmania nor somewhere like SW WA- as lovely as they are for a holiday); for some bizarre reason I wanted my daughters to be able to access UK Universities as domestic students rather than overseas (need 3 yrs residency) etc and so the list goes on. UK University fees are now some of the most expensive in the World, higher that in Australia (taking into account Commonwealth loans etc)..

So anyway our experiences of coming back. I will just mention that we were very lucky and my husband had also been offered 2 different jobs back here in the UK at the time, both as good (and one even better) than his job in Australia so we didn't come back to unemployment and he could well have eventually been made redundant in Australia due to a downturn in the mining industry and manufacturing. Anyway, the bottom line is that it was a complete hassle and frankly a nightmare at times in trying to sort out and establish life here again in the UK. By that I mean it was a nightmare trying to get school places (all schools are full and frankly there are not a lot of good ones in the State Sector in the area we had to live- dictated by job). Dealing with the LEA was like dealing with the military. Rude, unhelpful and totally lacking in flexibity. Despite the fact that we were born and bred here, still had UK bank accounts, NHS numbers, NI numbers and the fact that my husband was employed immediately it was very difficult and a hassle trying to sort other things out like getting reasonable car insurance, securing a house rental etc etc. The rental market in the UK is in crisis, there is little affordable decent accommodation available unless you want to live somewhere very remote (outer Hebrides maybe?). I know I am sounding negative and obviously we did get sorted eventually but it was extremely difficult despite the fact that are British Citizens, born and lived here for 40 years, paid taxes and NI for over 20 yrs etc. Why so difficult? The UK wasn't exactly welcoming so prepare yourselves for that.. When we moved to Australia, it was 100% easier. From school places to car insurance to bank accounts etc.. Everyone was pleased to have us there and to have our business. There is no doubt that during our 8 years away (2006-2014) the UK had changed a lot. A big obsession with security checks etc etc.

On starting at secondary school my daughters were initially horrified.. and said they couldn't stay there they had to leave. Everyone (girls) were made upto the nines in makeup, carrying handbags, gossiping and there were/ are many miserable depressed faces. At their High school in Australia there was no make up, lots of fun and kids were happy. They have settled now and made some friends but only the other day my youngest daughter said she missed talking about books they had read with friends at school (she is 15); here it is frowned upon by peers to show/admit that you actually read. So unless you can afford the exhorbitant fees of an independent school, be warned about most State Secondary Schools here in the UK. That said my eldest daughter has just got 12A*s in her GCSE's last Summer but it was down to sheer hard work on her part (and maybe from coming from such a good Education in Australia) and not to do with teaching. Apparently half the time teachers don't turn up on many occasions, there are kids swearing (at teachers and others), asleep at the desk, over 30+ in the class and so on. So frankly up against all that she did pretty well. I will just mention I am not talking about a rough inner city school here it's one in a nice semi rural area of W Sussex.

You are probably hoping there is no more but what else!? The hope of meeting up with family and old friends has been a complete disappointment (apart from parents and maybe a couple of old friends to be fair). Most friends have either not wanted to meet up or are just too busy.. Everyone here is much too busy and stressed compared to Australia. I know someone reading this might say why would anyone want to meet up with such a whinger (!). Point taken I am just trying to give a true picture. Frankly people won't make the effort, or don't have time or have simply moved on- probably a combination of all 3. Anyway I have stopped trying as have got the message and one new friend I have made who has lived overseas many years has in their wisdom advised- on coming back from overseas you have to start afresh. Make a new life with new friends etc as people just don't want to know- there will always be one or two old friends for whom this isn't the case but generally it is the case. They were right, you can't just slip back easily and you do have to start again.

Now I haven't even started on the weather.!I found Australian Summers stifling- I like the outdoors, walking and the like and couldn't do it for several months or not properly anyway. But I have found the grey, damp weather for a good half year or more as you find in the UK very depressing. I never wished life along in Australia whereas every Oct to March I wishing for it to be Spring again..

I haven't got into the disgraceful roads here (pot hole after pot hole), high taxes (making you feel quite poor and bear in mind high Council taxes- payable even as a tenant unlike in Oz)d), heavy traffic and overcrowding (yes health service in a crisis- all about juggling figures and not patient care) and then couple with all this there is this constant bombardment in the news now about Brexit, terrorism everywhere you go (esp Europe etc).

Anyway sorry to be so negative but truly think very carefully about throwing it all in and coming back. Think about your children's future. We have Citizenship so may well turn around one day and go back but are tied here now due to job, finishing education etc so are now trying to make the most of things.

What do I like about the UK? Apart from being able to see parents of course, then what I do like is what I would describe as "the depth" pf people. When someone asks how you are or speaks to you, perhaps just in a shop etc they seem to genuinely mean what they are saying.. There is a certain genuine friendliness that I didn't feel in Australia, even with strangers. The quirkiness of the UK. It's scruffy in many parts but there is character.. Whatever others might say I feel that the last couple of years the job market here has been pretty good.. not sure how it will keep going in the future. Online shopping and deliveries. All huge here and brilliant service. Sometimes you even get a delivery at 10pm Saturday evening. Post delivered on a Saturday!

Anyway there is lots to think about and it is just our experience.

We're moving back in a few months. Now it's getting close, I am struggling to feel positive about the move. Before we had made the decision to move back we kept talking about the positives but now it's happening all I can see are the negatives, though my wife remains upbeat. Reading your post hasn't helped as in some ways it is confirming my fears. I have never viewed the UK through rose tinted glasses, I have been back for visits too many times but living and working there again as opposed to a few weeks holiday is so different. I am scared we are making the wrong decision but it's too late now as I have handed in my notice at work so it's like we're being carried along on a wave. The stress of not knowing if we are doing the right thing or not is doing my head in :confused: The problem is it's something we won't know until we get there...

We're moving back in a few months. Now it's getting close, I am struggling to feel positive about the move. Before we had made the decision to move back we kept talking about the positives but now it's happening all I can see are the negatives, though my wife remains upbeat. Reading your post hasn't helped as in some ways it is confirming my fears. I have never viewed the UK through rose tinted glasses, I have been back for visits too many times but living and working there again as opposed to a few weeks holiday is so different. I am scared we are making the wrong decision but it's too late now as I have handed in my notice at work so it's like we're being carried along on a wave. The stress of not knowing if we are doing the right thing or not is doing my head in :confused: The problem is it's something we won't know until we get there...

There are also a lot of success stories from people who have moved back too. It's daunting no matter which way you move. Friends and family may be able to advise you on the best place to go for you. Good luck! :smile:

Coming here from north Wales too we had the same misgivings. And I still miss the view of Hope Mountain from our uk house [emoji22]

And where we are couldn't be more different, flat, dry, landlocked by 3 hours [emoji23]. But we actually feel settled and happy. Not to say I wouldn't return to north Wales one day (and we're fortunate we've kept our house there) but we love both places equally and financially, for us, here is better for now.

Thats very reassuring!

Can I ask, how your children have found it being back in Britain and do you think it has had or will have a negative impact on their lives?

One of the reasons I wanted to return is for my kids to enjoy time with their extended family and to live in a country with a lot more culture than there is in Old, plus the closeness of Europe. But I now wonder was that really a good enough reason for uprooting a family that was happy where they were, regardless of how I was feeling?

You and me both - I have taken redundancy and have 5 weeks left. Yikes! One of the good things about this site is that it reassures one that most people feel the same. A big move is stressful.

As has been said, there are plenty of people who have been happy with their move to the UK or back to the UK. Of course, some are not. There is no way of knowing until you find out for yourselves.

Honestly, things like education, NHS and other things are a bit of a postcode lottery and area dependant. If you pick a decent area with choices of schools and so on you should be fine. The state of the NHS, well, even if day to day services for many people do seem to be working fine, I can assure you behind the scenes its a very different picture and for plenty of people accessing NHS facilities is a struggle or cancellation after cancellation. Again, choose your area to live carefully.

We were happy in the UK, moved to Aus and are happy here. I think if you are happy in your lives as in you are not chasing rainbows or impossibles, you can be happy pretty much anywhere so long as the main things are taken care of. Those include work, roof over your head and your family (I don't mean the entire extended family but your own family, your partner, kids) around you. The rest usually falls into place and if you need to make some changes to improve the work situation or move house for whatever reason, you just deal with those as they crop up. Take it one day at a time and don't expect it all to be perfect or fall into place from the off. If it does go smoothly for you though, even better :)

Can I ask, how your children have found it being back in Britain and do you think it has had or will have a negative impact on their lives?

One of the reasons I wanted to return is for my kids to enjoy time with their extended family and to live in a country with a lot more culture than there is in Old, plus the closeness of Europe. But I now wonder was that really a good enough reason for uprooting a family that was happy where they were, regardless of how I was feeling?

Heh, well depends on the people as to if they will make use of or be able to make use of Europe on the doorstep and all that. Not everyone does, even though they can.

Example, someone I know, English, living in England is one of the least cultured people you could ever hope to meet. Not a museum, play, musical or any such thing will she go to. London is for shopping or the odd gig or clubbing weekend or some such. Not to see the sights or the historical aspects to it. Nor will she soak up the cultured sights of Europe, visit other historical cities or places for each holiday. What she will do is go get a spray tan, get her fake nails done, hair extensions put in and go see whatever boy band or singer is 'in' at the moment and will holiday in Ibiza for a week and hit all the clubs, party till dawn and sleep all day then get up and do it all over again. Happy with the life though. Me, I'd hate that sort of life and so didn't do that sort of thing. I'd be bored senseless.

:mask: A friendly mod reminder. I've removed a few posts from this thread. One as it was uncalled for and not helpful to anyone, the others were replies to that post and so removed to ensure continuity was kept.

Instead of indignant or annoyed replies to those sorts of unhelpful or rude posts, it really is better to put your energy into reporting the post in question (it would take the same amount of time as thumping out a reply) and mods can then come along and remove problem posts if needed (and in this case I did read a report from someone and so checked the thread and removed the offending post and its replies).

Posting in reply to those crappy posts really does not help anyone or anything. Report them, let mods deal with them. Much better all round for everyone :)

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Rainman and @ScottieGirl , we too are preparing to sell home and move to UK. I am reading all these posts and have concerns about our decision as I'm born and bred Aussie Girl (48yrs) and only visited UK for holiday (once). Our reasons for moving are purely family (my husbands live in England) and my work situation is drying up given the oil & gas market has dropped. At least UK will have broader opportunities (we hope). In some ways reading this very raw / real posts whilst they can make us nervous about the reality and not so uplifting / positive comments, I guess it can prepare you and try to put measures in place to help (hopefully).

I am looking forward to having more to do in terms of closer countries to visit, and seeing new things and way of life. I'm not expecting it to be the be all and end all, but will definitely give it my best shot. I am concerned about upping and moving giving how expensive it is and Perth house prices have dropped so we will be selling at rock bottom.

I personally think the weather may get the better of me long term, but I'm going to give it my best shot to keep our 17 yr relationship together. I don't have much family here so I'm not leaving too much behind. That said - I've never had a lot of family around me so not sure what it's like to be pulled by family.

As @snifter says, there's no way of knowing until you find out for yourselves - of cause it does need to be a well thought out and planned move as it's not a cheap or simple thing to uproot your life. Some people can do it without getting too concerned and worried, would like some of their care free ways to help me along.

Hope all goes well

Sue

Edited by suesmalls

Hi @Rainman and @ScottieGirl , we too are preparing to sell home and move to UK. I am reading all these posts and have concerns about our decision as I'm born and bred Aussie Girl (48yrs) and only visited UK for holiday (once). Our reasons for moving are purely family (my husbands live in England) and my work situation is drying up given the oil & gas market has dropped. At least UK will have broader opportunities (we hope). In some ways reading this very raw / real posts whilst they can make us nervous about the reality and not so uplifting / positive comments, I guess it can prepare you and try to put measures in place to help (hopefully).

I am looking forward to having more to do in terms of closer countries to visit, and seeing new things and way of life. I'm not expecting it to be the be all and end all, but will definitely give it my best shot. I am concerned about upping and moving giving how expensive it is and Perth house prices have dropped so we will be selling at rock bottom.

I personally think the weather may get the better of me long term, but I'm going to give it my best shot to keep our 17 yr relationship together. I don't have much family here so I'm not leaving too much behind. That said - I've never had a lot of family around me so not sure what it's like to be pulled by family.

As @snifter says, there's no way of knowing until you find out for yourselves - of cause it does need to be a well thought out and planned move as it's not a cheap or simple thing to uproot your life. Some people can do it without getting too concerned and worried, would like some of their care free ways to help me along.

Hope all goes well

Sue

Sue ,you are coming to the polar opposite of Australia ....

No big blue sky

No vast open landscape

No feeling of total freedom

Its overcrowded ( most places )

Traffic

Little houses - mainly

But

There is far more to see and do here than there is in oz

The culture ,here and in Europe is far deeper

Much more buzz ....i can see the worlds top 20 shows in a sq mile in London .

The thing that brought I home to me ....prince and Michael Jackson performed on the same night within a mile of each other on the same night in the 90s

You can get to most European cities for under £100 return

BUT DONT GET HERE AND SIT ON YOUR ARSE ...EXCEPT THE CRAP FOR WHAT IT IS ...AND SEE THE GOID BITS

Hi @bunbury61 - I take it from your username you once lived here and know what I'm coming from - I live in Rockingham. I couldn't agree more and know the sun and beach will be long behind me once I move. I love having that on my door stop in Warnbro (best beach) but I'm too damn busy with commuting and working to ever get to it. I guess knowing it's there is different if taken away.

But I definitely won't be sitting back and expecting it to all fall in my lap and know I'm going to have to work at it and make the effort to see and do things. Which is what I'm hoping I can do (decent paying job permitting).

You summed up pretty much how me and hubby talk about this move and want to change our way of life.

Yes little houses is not something I'm looking forward to - but I'm a keen gardener so I'm going to see plenty of that.

There's crap everywhere and we have plenty of it here too. Still a bit move and wouldn't be honest if I said I didn't have some trepidation - but I'm not dreading it or overwhelmed with fear and regret.

Appreciate the feedback

Sue

Don't worry, many of us don't recognise the country talked about in the post you quoted. It bears no resemblance to the country we are living in. It's normal to be apprehensive about such a big move.

I know you didn't ask me but our experience is that our kids love it here and are doing very well academically. I can't imagine how it can negatively impact their lives, just the opposite in fact, it opens many opportunities and avenues for them.

Hi @bunbury61 - I take it from your username you once lived here and know what I'm coming from - I live in Rockingham. I couldn't agree more and know the sun and beach will be long behind me once I move. I love having that on my door stop in Warnbro (best beach) but I'm too damn busy with commuting and working to ever get to it. I guess knowing it's there is different if taken away.

But I definitely won't be sitting back and expecting it to all fall in my lap and know I'm going to have to work at it and make the effort to see and do things. Which is what I'm hoping I can do (decent paying job permitting).

You summed up pretty much how me and hubby talk about this move and want to change our way of life.

Yes little houses is not something I'm looking forward to - but I'm a keen gardener so I'm going to see plenty of that.

There's crap everywhere and we have plenty of it here too. Still a bit move and wouldn't be honest if I said I didn't have some trepidation - but I'm not dreading it or overwhelmed with fear and regret.

Appreciate the feedback

Sue

We live in a lovely area and our house is bigger than our old Brisbane house and the garden is bigger. Don't go thinking you have to settle for a small house and garden, it isn't the case. We get very little traffic and it's one of the least populated counties.

I wouldn't let the doubts mess with your head, I assume the original drivers for coming back are still there and if that is the case then the downsides to the UK will be overridden by the pluses, quite a few of the issues here are the same, to greater or lesser extent, as in Australia.

The impact of what is happening here is being felt most amongst the low paid and poorly educated, the chronically ill, the very old and those who can't leave the old industrial areas, the rest of us are hardly being impacted except for train commuters around London, the NHS is a worry but unless you intend to be ill a lot that doesn't really have to impact you.

There are jobs here and if you have the right experience then the pay seems to be good and except for house prices and commuting expenses then I have found things a little cheaper than Australia and generally better quality.

I think if you come back aware that there are issues then you can insulate yourself from them by taking action to skirt them as snifter said it really is down to where you live.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

So another friend in the UK has just found out were moving back. Again the reaction has been "Are you sure?" Then a paragraph about dismal England- from weather to economy.... anyone else getting this reaction? Is it really so bad? We're moving back for family mostly so we're definitely going but does make me a bit nervous for my children....
it is funny, as being an Australian in England, I get sick of people asking why are you here? I like Australia, but I left because I was bored, and I really don't like the heat. The UK has it's share of problems. I just watched Moorside last night, and I can't believe people live like that. Australia would be paradise compared to that. But that is so far from the England I live in.

Ah but you have the magical Murray! I like Echuca, it has a good vibe. Much prefer it to,say, Ballarat. Except for the mozzies after the recent floods of course!