If a disaster happens

bernie inn

Hypothetical: we are a family of 4 with 2 young boys, If a disaster was to happen and us parents were killed, how would the authoriites know who to get in touch with in the UK? We have emergency contacts here in Australia, but again how would the authorities know who to contact? As far as i know there isn't a national database of emergency contacts or next of kin?

What do you do if your not close enough to people in Australia to have an emergency contact?

Hypothetical: we are a family of 4 with 2 young boys, If a disaster was to happen and us parents were killed, how would the authoriites know who to get in touch with in the UK? We have emergency contacts here in Australia, but again how would the authorities know who to contact? As far as i know there isn't a national database of emergency contacts or next of kin?

What do you do if your not close enough to people in Australia to have an emergency contact?

Presumably one or both of you has employment? They should have a facility for holding next of kin details in Personnel files. Likewise schools/pre-schools should be able to hold contact details for both countries.

Guest The Pom Queen

When we first arrived we didn't know anyone. We ended up asking my boss and also a teacher at the boys school. Now, my two eldest have left home but if anything happens to me and hubby the youngest has a couple of forum members phone numbers and has said he doesn't want to live with his grandma in the UK but wants to stay with his older brother. I am not sure how this would happen but I hope he never has to worry.

My relatives have a codicil in their will which states explicitly what they wish to happen to their children if that happens.

Anyone with children should do this. But you also need an immediate contact in an emergency as Australia doesn't have a central registry of wills and it can take days for a will to be located.

I think I know what the OP means. No job, no neighbours on FB, very young kids not in school. Fresh of the boat as it were.....I also have thought about this and I always think they would find your name somewhere, in your wallet, on your phone details etc then the authorities would contact the passport office where all the details of visa/passport would be...the contact details would be available there I'm pretty sure.

I have given our good neighbour the phone numbers of relatives in the UK to be contacted should anything like this happen and asked her if she would look after our children for the time it would take for a relative to arrive from England.

We did the same thing. Also we came to an agreement with my sister that she would be the boys' legal guardian if the worst came to the worst.

I've set up my medical ID on my iPhone with contact details of husband, father and sister in uk but also kids school and daycare. Our will states who we want to have the children (and my sister has a copy of the will).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3e69f116891ae315144c613fc788de0d.jpg

Go into the health app and there's a section for medical id

But if I remember correctly, on an iPhone, only if your phone is not locked (I certainly would not advocate leaving your phone unlocked).

I have had considerable trouble trying to find the next of kin while we resuscitate a tourist or local on several occasions in ED.

I am aware of only one app (and only available on Android) that permits the rescuer to access essential contacts on a locked smartphone, and then call using the victim's phone a preselected list of numbers: In Case of Emergency by appventive.com, also on Google Play.

While not perfect, for example it does not permit linking images of medicine boxes. It would save so much angst of having unknown people in ICU, while their smartphone has the essential information locked away.

Disclaimer: I have no association with any app developer or phone provider.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

But if I remember correctly, on an iPhone, only if your phone is not locked (I certainly would not advocate leaving your phone unlocked).

I have had considerable trouble trying to find the next of kin while we resuscitate a tourist or local on several occasions in ED.

I am aware of only one app (and only available on Android) that permits the rescuer to access essential contacts on a locked smartphone, and then call using the victim's phone a preselected list of numbers: In Case of Emergency by appventive.com, also on Google Play.

While not perfect, for example it does not permit linking images of medicine boxes. It would save so much angst of having unknown people in ICU, while their smartphone has the essential information locked away.

Disclaimer: I have no association with any app developer or phone provider.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

If you use the health app the details can be accessed through the emergency link which is available by pressing the home screen (and before you enter your access code)

67bfa6435e4f11ee65a4b7910c028006.jpg377ff0eac1c0ecaab3175872f38dd4ec.jpg

Click on emergency. Then medical id