General Moving back advice

hazeladie

Hey all, so my husband and I have decided to return home to Scotland after 5 years here in Oz. We will be moving back with 3 little ones so want to make sure we do things the right way to make it as easy as possible for them. We have a brand new house that we have just built that we need to sell, plus 2 cars. Does anyone know of a checklist or something similar we could follow to make sure we have considered everything??? As you all know uts a minefield of info and im just so confused! Also does anyone have experience with OSS shipping? Thanks fellow pommies x

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

First, where to live. Have you got somewhere to stay on return until you find something more permanent? If not, then holiday homes and airbnb are good.

Second, have you established where in Scotland you are heading? You don't need to go back the exact same place and I would look at jobs and things to make the decision.

Schools will ill also be a driver on where to live.

Without knowing where you live, it is hard to say how quick your house will sell, but it can be done from the UK, which is what we did. It just means when it does sell, you need a trip to London to have the documents signed at Australia house. A flight from Glasgow or Edinburgh is cheap.

Cars, I sold via gumtree and was very happy with it. Just have a look at other ads for the same car and price accordingly.

Shipping, are all a bit of a muchness. Get a few of them to quote and go with the cheapest.

Hey all, so my husband and I have decided to return home to Scotland after 5 years here in Oz. We will be moving back with 3 little ones so want to make sure we do things the right way to make it as easy as possible for them. We have a brand new house that we have just built that we need to sell, plus 2 cars. Does anyone know of a checklist or something similar we could follow to make sure we have considered everything??? As you all know uts a minefield of info and im just so confused! Also does anyone have experience with OSS shipping? Thanks fellow pommies x

We had lots of our furniture damaged by that shipping company so I would not use them again.

I used Kent removals for shipping. In terms of Kent, they proved to be reliable and I would trust them again with moving overseas. A couple of points I would make :

a. Insurance

Removalists obviously make a decent margin on insurance and so try to sell this. I bought our insurance through Removals Insurance (the underwriter was Allianz) and this saved a couple of hundred dollars compared to the price Kent quoted.

b. Shipping of Goods

My only disappointing experience was the time it took for the goods to depart Australia. The goods were picked up from our flat on the 8th September and I expected them to be shipped within a couple of weeks, however, it was only loaded on 17th October, taking just shy of 6 weeks to get the stuff onto a ship. I should mention that we did not have much stuff to move and so shared a container which may have slowed things down. Nevertheless, I would suggest asking the removalist company when they expect the goods to be actually loaded onto a ship.

The incoming shipper in the UK was White & Company, they provided a friendly , efficient service.

All in all the experience was good, all items arrived in tact, just the two above points should be considered, in my view.

Hi - I'm living a parallel life! Been here just over 5 years, two little ones, house &two cars to sell! The only good thing for us is that Hubbie is transferring to UK office so we know he has a job & the area we will live.

So practicalities-

- find out how long houses take to sell in your area.

- job hunt in uk now- at least put feelers out.

Do you have a timeline or jobs yet?

- start pulling together a plan of how you want to do this.

Our plan is house on market, sell one car, ship belonging, upon house sale book flights & few nights accommodation before we go. We have a list of everyone to contact- tax return, center link, Agl! Etc. Sell other car last minute or leave with a friend to sell.

We're going to family first so no big issues to deal with upon arrival. You?

- don't know ages of your kids but we're deferring our daughter's school place as she should start this September. She only turns 4in late August so she's not in kindy here yet (childcare though) & July/ August is when we're moving. Just a thought!

We're also had shippers in to get quotes so we have an idea of costs.

As I say I'm in the same position so I don't have advice just plans, I'm sure wiser people will along soon ? goodluck!

We've just made the move back after 8 years. Our little one is not school age yet so can't help with that sort of thing but my best piece of advice would be, if you know where you're going to be staying (even if it's just with family temporarily) try to get a few things with an address on. We had to show proof of address to register with a GP and various other things. If your UK driving licence isn't current try to sort that before you return (I found the people at the DVLA really helpful when I called) as many insurance companies will charge you a lot more, or refuse to insure you on an Aus licence (this doesn't apply to hiring a car). These sorts of things just make things quicker and less frustrating when you're already busy & jet lagged! We're currently trying to rent a house which is proving problematic without proof of income...good luck!

We went with Kent and found them helpful.

We insured thro the insurers who used to advertise on here **** perceval

We sold and moved into a rental then 2 weeks in a serviced apartment but that was because of work commitments.