Travel insurance is it worth it

can1983

Are you talking about when you move or for a holiday? If it is for when you move then you want one way travel insurance to cover just the period for when you are actually travelling. Travel insurance covers far more than just health in the destination country. A decent policy will cover cancellation costs if you can't travel, costs incurred if there is a delay, lost luggage, lost or stolen money, health cover if anything happens between leaving the UK and arriving in Australia. If are going on holiday travel insurance will also cover any additional costs incurred if you have a health problem while there eg extra accomodation costs if you can't fly back when you are due to, the cost to change your flights and the cost of health care on the flight if necessary. A friends mum had a stroke while visiting Australia and while she was able to be treated for free the travel insurance covered the cost of new flights and a nurse to travel back with her. I would never travel without insurance. I have even taken it out for a trip in Australia that is costing us a fair bit as I don't want to be thousands out of pocket if one of us gets sick and can't travel.

It's a holiday, but staying with family so there wouldn't be additional accommodation costs or health care. Luggage isn't worth it in my mind as excess is more than value of our suitcase and airlines do have a responsibility to find ur bag to some extent!

I was thinking what happens if we get ill in transit so that was why I thought we might need it. I hadn't thought about paying for new flights if someone got ill and couldn't travel

if I get ill can my wife and son claim too or would they be expected to take the flights in any case and lave me behind ;)

It's a holiday, but staying with family so there wouldn't be additional accommodation costs or health care. Luggage isn't worth it in my mind as excess is more than value of our suitcase and airlines do have a responsibility to find ur bag to some extent!

I was thinking what happens if we get ill in transit so that was why I thought we might need it. I hadn't thought about paying for new flights if someone got ill and couldn't travel

if I get ill can my wife and son claim too or would they be expected to take the flights in any case and lave me behind ;)

Yep need to be covered for transit, this is speaking from experience. Also anybody covered on your insurance and on the same flights are not expected to travel separately but can be arranged if you so wish ie. send the kids on when you have convenient arrangements made.

Remember even with insurance you will have out of pocket expenses which have to be claimed back later, taxi/bus/food/accommodation/clothing/washing etc.

we use the insurance included with our credit card at no cost (check conditions)

Totally depends on policy. A friend of mine was away on a family holiday and their son became ill. They had to cancel flight and stay five extra days. Even though their insurance covered all, as it was medical issues with their toddler son the insurance company only covered the son and one legal representative (parent in this case) to stay. Of course both parents stayed and my friends had to pay for one adult's flights and expenses. I have heard horror stories where holidays went as wrong as could be and it was literally tens of thousands for medical repatriation.

Many credit cards and bank accounts have travel insurance attached and if purchasing insurance you can pay a little extra to bring the excess to zero. I would not travel anywhere without insurance. Many policies also cover U.K trips too (speaking from experience of purchasing insurance in the U.K.) if you have at least one night accommodation paid for/booked.

oh also, if you do get insurance and have to claim, get agreements in writing (emails) and note down who you spoke to / when. Don't assume they'll pay for x, y & z and try not to incur many if any expenses before getting agreement the insurance company will cover an incident. Keep all receipts!

Edited by Guest

You never know.......my sister in law was travelling with friends from UK to Oz for cricket and new year a while back. One of the party fell badly at Singapore airport and broke their hip. Luckily their insurance covered the treatment at Singapore hospital, recovery time in care all ambulance costs and a first class seat home recommended by the surgeon plus ambulance transfer from the airport home. Oh and refund of his holiday costs as he never got to Oz.

The rest of the party all had their own insurances so continued the holiday. They left him in very good hands in Singapore though. The surgeon videoed the procedure to facilitate aftercare in UK and the UK surgeon was very impressed!

A bit of a horror story if he had not had insurance though, would have cost him thousands and put the rest of the party in an awkward position.

Always read the small print in any policy though, especially those attached to bank cards. Often they require you to book all or some of the trip using the card to qualify.

So I have a dilemma....

im British with pr for australia

my wife is Australian with uk visa

son has both citizenships

so do we get travel insurance to go to Australia? what is it covering?

We always get insurance to pay to repatriate ourselves or our bodies (!) but also because it covers the rental car excess and is cheaper than paying the rental car company to waive the excess. If you are going to rely upon the credit card travel insurance check the small print as it sometimes only covers travel paid for on that card.

Also if you need any emergency dental work done that is covered by your travel insurance.

Travel insurance is cheap in the UK. I'd get it.

We always get insurance to pay to repatriate ourselves or our bodies (!) but also because it covers the rental car excess and is cheaper than paying the rental car company to waive the excess. If you are going to rely upon the credit card travel insurance check the small print as it sometimes only covers travel paid for on that card.

Also if you need any emergency dental work done that is covered by your travel insurance.

Travel insurance is cheap in the UK. I'd get it.

This link takes you to my Commbank credit card insurance over view (with a link to the PDS), no minimum spend required, rental excess included. It worked for an emergency turn the plane around and surgery in Switzerland situation a few years back.

This link takes you to my Commbank credit card insurance over view (with a link to the PDS), no minimum spend required, rental excess included. It worked for an emergency turn the plane around and surgery in Switzerland situation a few years back.

That's a great policy and I'll bear it mind next time I'm shopping for a credit card. The OP is in the UK so will need to check any policies that come with a UK card.

That's a great policy and I'll bear it mind next time I'm shopping for a credit card. The OP is in the UK so will need to check any policies that come with a UK card.

Linda's cousin whom lives in the UK always travel on there Credit card insurance and have had need to make a claim too (not as serious as ours), I thought their policy was superior to mine, as at that time we did need minimum spend and they did not. Definitely worth looking in to though which ever country you live.

So I have a dilemma....

im British with pr for australia

my wife is Australian with uk visa

son has both citizenships

so do we get travel insurance to go to Australia? what is it covering?

Ruptured appendix in Dubai or Singapore? Getting mugged? Losing your passports? Legal expenses when some jobs worth in some backwater objects to your diet pills and slams you in jail awaiting a flogging?