Applying for second 457 visa

Robert Brunning

Hello All,

I am currently on a 457 visa which is due to expire on the 19th March. My current six month contract with my organisation will finish on the 6th March, and they have offered me a maternity post cover for 1 year, which will require me to reapply for the 457 visa for an additional year.

However, the new role will likely not start until mid April due to it being a maternity cover.

From a visa perspective, will this mean that my time with the employer will be effectively reset if going for PR in the future since there will be a short gap in employment?

Secondly, would there be any issues in applying for a new 457 visa with a start date which is beyond my current visa?

Thirdly, I would like to add my de facto partner to this 457 visa application, would this require many additional steps?

Many thanks,

Robert

Hello All,

I am currently on a 457 visa which is due to expire on the 19th March. My current six month contract with my organisation will finish on the 6th March, and they have offered me a maternity post cover for 1 year, which will require me to reapply for the 457 visa for an additional year.

I would recommend that you and your employer obtain professional advice as it appears the current way of doing things is costing you both money unnecessarily.

However, the new role will likely not start until mid April due to it being a maternity cover.

From a visa perspective, will this mean that my time with the employer will be effectively reset if going for PR in the future since there will be a short gap in employment?

Not necessarily.

Secondly, would there be any issues in applying for a new 457 visa with a start date which is beyond my current visa?

No, as long as the timing of the application is done correctly.

Thirdly, I would like to add my de facto partner to this 457 visa application, would this require many additional steps?

You will need permission from your employer to include them on the application and you will need to meet the requirements for a de facto relationship.