Returning to UK with Australian wife & kids

daveh

Hi everyone

After 15 years in Aus we're looking to return back to live in the UK. I'm British (with Aus passport also), wife Australian and 2 young kids (both have Aus passport - I need to get them their UK ones!).

I've looked into the options for a spouse visa and have read about the GBP 60k+ savings option. Does anyone know do you actually have to pay this over to the UK Gov (as a deposit for x number of years) or just have to show proof of this money only?

Also, for anyone who has been through this spouse/savings application process - roughly how long did it take from application to visa issue? Do you then have a limited time period to enter the UK?

Many thanks !!

DH

I am not 100% sure but you just have to show that you have the savings and that you have held them for a number of months.

Check with your wife if she has a British grandparent because she can then apply for an ancestry visa which is easier than spouse visa

Edited by Wa7

I believe if its from the sale of a house, you do not need to wait for a number of months. I would recommend you apply for your childrens British passports before you apply for the visa (unless you are in a hurry), that way it will only be your wife who will need a visa to enter the UK, and will keep the amount of money you need to sow you have down as it goes up with each child. You'll probably need either the spouse settlement visa or the one where you apply to join a family member settled in the UK (then you all arrive together). Its a bit confusing, but in terms of lead-times, I think its around 6 weeks but there is an express option which you obviously need to pay more for.

Good luck.