Joinery draftsman

EllieW

Hi

Does anyone know how to find out if joinery draftsman are needed in Australia at the moment and how you go about finding sites where employers are willing to sponser on an ENS visa? I have searched on the usual job sites but not sure if there are any better sites to see if there is any possibility of sponsership? Thanks, Ellie

The first question is, have you checked if the occupation is eligible? It still needs to be on the SOL or CSOL.

Second, based on your other post, I am not sure you understand the visas. A independent skilled visa allows you to work in anything you want. Or even not work.

It is very rare that an employer will sponsor a 186 immediately as it is much more time consuming - a fair few months minimum and more expensive. Instead, employers tend to sponsor 457, but that has many drawbacks, inc,using that it is only a temporary visa with no automatic path to permanent and the assumption you will be returning to your home country at the end - which may be anything from 1 day to four years. You also do need a skills assessment for a 186 unless you have been working for the employer for 2 years.

Thanks for the reply verystormy, we are no longer applicable to apply for the independent visa as the age limit for points passed due to me needing to put everything on hold to look after a relative who became very ill which is why we are now looking at a different route. If you manage to get a 457 visa, are you free to look for an employer that will also sponser towards the end of the two years if the current employer doesn't want to keep you on or go forward to a 186 visa? Also whichever visa we apply for do we have to have employer first or can we put in an EOI for employers to see whilst still trying to find an employer through agencies etc. It is completely different from the original route we were taking so just trying to get as much information about this as possible really. We have everything ready for the skills assessment as we were about to put it in when things changed last time. Thanks

How old are you? There are very limited situations where over 50 s can move from a 457 onto a 186.

Putting in an EOI looking for sponsorship is unlikely to yeald a response. You need an employer up front as they need to be approved and nominate you before you can apply.

Nothing to stop you job hunting when you have a 457 but you need to be with that employer for two years for the direct route to apply. You can apply for indirect 186/187 at any point if you and they qualify.

Have you spoken to an agent to look at your visa strategy?

Thanks rammygirl, OH is 46 and I am 45 so we lost out on the age points in the last few months which then dropped us under the minimum points needed for the independent visa. We haven't spoken to an agent as things changed quickly from our original plan where we were just putting in the EOI under the independent visa so didn't really need to use an agent. Sounds like we are definitely going to need the employer offer first from the sounds of it. So what you are saying is that even if we come out on a 457, after two years, we could look for permanent jobs then and transfer to the 186 if the new employer agrees this route and is qualified to offer it, thank you for that info, it gives us an idea of which way round we need to start.

The skills assessment shouldn't be a problem and we are going to continue with that as planned. The trouble with the state sponsored visa is that it prevents us from living or working in the main areas where his industry is as we would need to go via the regional sponsored one as we need the 10 points, OH already has the highest points for the English test. We are just mindful of trying not to restrict things too much, ie not being able to work in certain areas as I will also need to work full time via his visa and it may just make it more difficult to find the work. When you say we could apply for the 186 before two years, does this have to be with the original employer that we would have the sponsorship with, if not that makes it more attractive, we just don't like the idea of being made to leave the country if anything goes wrong with the employer especially in the construction industry as that is a industry that can go downhill quickly or at least it is in the UK :) Thanks for all the advice you have given, it is really appreciated.

OK so you really need to read up on the visas. There are two routes to 186 direct entry and transition.

Direct entry requires the employer to sponsor you, and this can be after 2 weeks, a year or before you start. Requires skills assessment.

transition route requires 2 years of work with the employer that is sponsoring you and does not require a skills assessment.

Few employers are likely to offer the 186 to you straight off though if they have never met you.

Employer often say they will make you PR after two years but plenty on here have found this doesn't actually happen and as time is running out age wise you really need a sound plan.

It is very important you understand the issues with a 457 if you decide to go down the sponsored route. First, as said, it is only a temporary visa. While employers often promise to sponsor PR, many later refuse and there is no way to force them.

The visa is tied to the employer and if he were to lose his job, he would only have 60 days to find another company willing and able to sponsor (many companies can not sponsor) or you all have to leave.

If you have children, many states will charge 457 holders for education - about 4000 a year.

The partners of 457 holders can have difficulty with finding jobs.

If you have older children, then university means massive fees with no government help and major complications if they wanted to come back and study.

If if he didn't gain PR by 50, he probably woul not be eligible

Thank you both for the advice, makes things a bit clearer, bit worrying that you can be caught out by an employer not doing PR even if they say they will after a couple of years. We also have to think about the fact we have a 17yr old that is going to want to do an apprenticeship out there and I imagine that would be a real problem if we are only on a temporary visa. I didn't realise the visa is tied to the employer and it is only them that can apply for the PR sponsorship, I had thought that after two years, we would be able to apply for the permanent visa. Thanks for letting me know about this, I assume it would apply to a regional sponsored visa as well and we would be in the hands of the employer again as to whether they were willing to go forward with a permanent visa, shame. Thank you both for the replies

No the state sponsored visa are not linked to an employer. The 489 does require you to work for 12 months and live for two years in a designated area. That work can be for any employer and doesn't even need to be in the occupation you were assessed for.

As time is ticking with your husbands and sons ages I would recommend getting some advice from an agent. Any who post on here a a good bet.

Thank you the info. We are going to use an agent but the appointment isn't going to be for a couple of weeks yet. On the 489 visa then, either regional sponsored or family sponsored, we can automatically apply for permanent visas ourselves rather than having to have the employer agree. Would we both still need to be under 50 to do this or is there some movement on that if we have lived and worked for two years in the area. We are going to ask agent etc but as the first appointment is a short one, I am trying to get as much info as I can to know what to ask. Unless I am missing something (which I probably am) this is a better option if we want to be able to go to a permanent visa in a few years without having to rely on an employer? I am very mindful of being in a position of the employer not going permanent even if they have said they would previously. Thanks

Read up on 489 here http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

After two years of residence and 1 year of work you apply for PR via the 887 visa, as far as I can see no age restrictions on this one.

http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/887-

Even with an agent you should be reading and understanding what is involved for yourself. Follow all the links and then you should be able to understand the options. For the employer sponsored visas do the same on http://www.border.gov.au. Simply type the visa number in the search function for quick access.