What's the answer to UK prison crisis?

Bound4Tassie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38931580

Are our prisoners spoilt? Is it too easy for hardened criminals? Maybe more needs spending on staffing & security, less on tv's, gym equipment, playstation?? Are prisons too soft on hard core crims ( murderers, rapists, gangsters, drug lords etc?)

Should food be more basic? Time out of cells limited more?

What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38931580

Are our prisoners spoilt? Is it too easy for hardened criminals? Maybe more needs spending on staffing & security, less on tv's, gym equipment, playstation?? Are prisons too soft on hard core crims ( murderers, rapists, gangsters, drug lords etc?)

Should food be more basic? Time out of cells limited more?

What are your thoughts?

did you read the article you posted?

[h=1]Why Norway's prison system is so successful[/h]In Norway, fewer than 4,000 of the country's 5 million people were behind bars as of August 2014.

That makes Norway's incarceration rate just 75 per 100,000 people, compared to 707 people for every 100,000 people in the US.

On top of that, when criminals in Norway leave prison, they stay out. It has one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world at 20%. The US has one of the highest: 76.6% of prisoners are re-arrested within five years.

Norway also has a relatively low level of crime compared to the US, according to the Bureau of Diplomatic Security. The majority of crimes reported to police there are theft-related incidents, and violent crime is mostly confined to areas with drug trafficking and gang problems.

Based on that information, it's safe to assume Norway's criminal justice system is doingsomething right. Few citizens there go to prison, and those who do usually go only once. So how does Norway accomplish this feat? The country relies on a concept called "restorative justice," which aims to repair the harm caused by crime rather than punish people. This system focuses on rehabilitating prisoners.

Take a look at Halden Prison, and you'll see what we mean. The 75-acre facility maintains as much "normalcy" as possible. That means no bars on the windows, kitchens fully equipped with sharp objects, and friendships between guards and inmates. For Norway, removing people's freedom is enough of a punishment.

Like many prisons, Halden seeks to prepare inmates for life on the outside with vocational programs: woodworking, assembly workshops, and even a recording studio.

Halden isn't an anomaly either. Bastoy prison is also quite nice.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-norways-prison-system-is-so-successful-2014-12

I have always believed the military form should be copied that is used in Colcheter military prison.

I served there briefly as an RMP. The regime is simple. Hard work, a regime that puts the fear of God into prisoners to the extent there is no big wall. Just a white line and the ongoing stories of what has happened to previous escapees. But, with lots of rehab and training to the extent that it isn't unusual for a person to be released and be immediately eligible for promotion because they have been so well trained and educated. But, it is a very strict regime. The carrot and stick has led to an incredibly low reoffending rate and an excellent overall outcome for both the state and the prisoner.

As for if prisons are too soft. Probably. Colchester prisoners are 8 to a cell, tv is normally only allowed a couple of hours per day and they can't be forced to take part in activities. In col. You will be woken at 5am and by 6am on a run till your legs are jelly. Then breakfast, then courses and counselling. Then more pt, then cleaning - it is one of the cleanest places in the world with every single tap and piece of floor gleaming. Then bed at 7pm.

Look at the USA system, toughest in civilised countries and the highest reoffending rates....then look at the scandinavian countries with the more humane rehabilitation system and lowest reoffending rates in the world....it dont take a bloody einstein to go figure.

Both societies the u.s and the Scandinavian countries are completely different societies to ours .

Norway is a very wealthy country per capita ,and probably can afford tonspend a damn site more per head on its prison population ...juat a thought

Both societies the u.s and the Scandinavian countries are completely different societies to ours .

Norway is a very wealthy country per capita ,and probably can afford tonspend a damn site more per head on its prison population ...juat a thought

In the long run it costs more to keep locking up re offending prisoners than rehabilitating prisoners back into society earning a living and paying taxes...just saying. Edited by Perthbum

I have always believed the military form should be copied that is used in Colcheter military prison.

I served there briefly as an RMP. The regime is simple. Hard work, a regime that puts the fear of God into prisoners to the extent there is no big wall. Just a white line and the ongoing stories of what has happened to previous escapees. But, with lots of rehab and training to the extent that it isn't unusual for a person to be released and be immediately eligible for promotion because they have been so well trained and educated. But, it is a very strict regime. The carrot and stick has led to an incredibly low reoffending rate and an excellent overall outcome for both the state and the prisoner.

As for if prisons are too soft. Probably. Colchester prisoners are 8 to a cell, tv is normally only allowed a couple of hours per day and they can't be forced to take part in activities. In col. You will be woken at 5am and by 6am on a run till your legs are jelly. Then breakfast, then courses and counselling. Then more pt, then cleaning - it is one of the cleanest places in the world with every single tap and piece of floor gleaming. Then bed at 7pm.

Are all the prisoners serving personnel?

Prison turns you against society you live with outcasts people who have no fears of society and its laws. A lot of inmates do not want retraining a chance to conform it's just easier to take take take.

Mostly, or have been discharged on being found guilty, but not all - Military system can apply for civilians who commit a crime in / on military property

I was wondering if inmates behaved a bit better as they are trying to hold on to jobs? Not sure if it could work like that?

The figures show that the United States has locked up more people than any other country: a half million more than China, which has a population five times greater than the U.S. Statistics reveal that the United States holds 25% of the world’s prison population, but only 5% of the world’s people. From less than 300,000 inmates in 1972, the jail population grew to 2 million by the year 2000. In 1990 it was one million. Ten years ago there were only five private prisons in the country, with a population of 2,000 inmates; now, there are 100, with 62,000 inmates. It is expected that by the coming decade, the number will hit 360,000, according to reports.

Probably not going to be popular but just my thoughts. If you have murdered someone or in some cases a whole family you should be HUNG, If you have done anything else that is bad time and time again THE ARMY there are people over in Irac who love fighting and being killed so send them there. Then all these lovely quarters were they all live for FREE let the homeless have them till thing's improve for them LEAVE THE DOORS OPEN OFCOURSE:mad:I am suggesting this for Australia but I am sure it could apply to the UK

Edited by pommysheila
made a mistake

Probably not going to be popular but just my thoughts. If you have murdered someone or in some cases a whole family you should be HUNG, If you have done anything else that is bad time and time again THE ARMY there are people over in Irac who love fighting and being killed so send them there. Then all these lovely quarters were they all live for FREE let the homeless have them till thing's improve for them LEAVE THE DOORS OPEN OFCOURSE:mad:I am suggesting this for Australia but I am sure it could apply to the UK
And people who are in prison for robbery hang them?

If you have murdered someone or in some cases a whole family you should be HUNG, If you have done anything else that is bad time and time again THE ARMY there are people over in Irac who love fighting and being killed so send them there. Then all these lovely quarters were they all live for FREE let the homeless have them till thing's improve for them LEAVE THE DOORS OPEN OFCOURSE:mad:I am suggesting this for Australia but I am sure it could apply to the UK

For certain cases I would condone capital punishment....not all murders are equally heinous. Eg a battered wife retaliates and the abuser dies well that's not as bad as murdering a family while they slept or a serial killer. I'm not sure about paedophiles. I'd say get rid as they'll never be 'rehabilitated'...but then there's the argument that they can't help who they are attracted to sexually if there is something wrong with their brain. ( obviously they should not act on it!) They are never safe to be released into society so maybe they should be locked up in a mental institute for life....or offered euthanasia if they don't want to do that.

They certainly need to sort out the access to drugs/alcohol in prison - the panorama prob highlighted an almost laughable situation.

For certain cases I would condone capital punishment....not all murders are equally heinous. Eg a battered wife retaliates and the abuser dies well that's not as bad as murdering a family while they slept or a serial killer. I'm not sure about paedophiles. I'd say get rid as they'll never be 'rehabilitated'...but then there's the argument that they can't help who they are attracted to sexually if there is something wrong with their brain. ( obviously they should not act on it!) They are never safe to be released into society so maybe they should be locked up in a mental institute for life....or offered euthanasia if they don't want to do that.

They certainly need to sort out the access to drugs/alcohol in prison - the panorama prob highlighted an almost laughable situation.

This is where I have a problem with democracy. If you cut funding to prisons you are not going to lose votes. It's just one of those things that sounds like a good idea. Take money away from the law breakers that make our life hell and give it to the fluffy kittens. Who wouldn't vote for that. But it does come down to what is economically more sensible. If you can stop prisoners from re offending - bearing on mind that we had a murderer starring on east enders, and our National Treasure Ricky Tomlinson did time. In fact - there's a few ex cons who have done well after leaving prison.

The argument as I see it is that prisons have had their money cut so they are so over crowded there can be no rehabilitation - so the situation is going to feed on itself. The solutions are to either - keep going - and have the situation get worse, release a lot of prisoners to take the pressure off, or spend more money. I would vote for the one that is most economically viable long term.