Partner visa thread continuation........

carahunter4

Hi,

There are quite a few of us on the partner visa thread who are moving to Queensland and seem keen to stay in touch. It would be great to share tips and advice on moving, areas etc especially from those who have lived there previously or have family over there. Also just to generally chat without hijacking the visa thread. It would also be great to hear from anyone who's recently moved out there or about to move...... @Jordan01 @Wizz4bizz @Nifa77........

Perhaps we could start by re-introducing ourselves, our situation and when we are/were moving......

I had my partner visa approved last Friday and the house has gone on the market today, it's so exciting once it all starts happening isn't it! We're planning on moving end of June.

My husband is British and he completed his visa before we'd been together long enough to discuss it properly and add me hence needing the partner visa. We did validate his visa September 15 though where we spent a week on the Gold Coast and loved everything we saw of the area and Brisbane.

Looking forward to keeping in touch

Cara

Yep a fellow QLD to be resident here.

Plan is September with a view to October at the very latest. Partners family are from Mackay - not too far from Airlie and about 3 hours from Townsville. Can't tell you what suburb of Brisbane we will be in, depends on where I get work. I work in the insurance industry so if anyone has any contacts they can put me in touch with then that would be great.

We applied 13/09/16 with a front loaded application. Have hit that 5 month mark today but am yet to hear a thing although do know from a call weeks ago that I have a CO. Ideally want my grant before I holiday to Oz next Thursday but I think that's definitely not happening.

Will be brilliant to meet when we all touchdown though, have some expat support.

Laurence

Yep a fellow QLD to be resident here.

Plan is September with a view to October at the very latest. Partners family are from Mackay - not too far from Airlie and about 3 hours from Townsville. Can't tell you what suburb of Brisbane we will be in, depends on where I get work. I work in the insurance industry so if anyone has any contacts they can put me in touch with then that would be great.

We applied 13/09/16 with a front loaded application. Have hit that 5 month mark today but am yet to hear a thing although do know from a call weeks ago that I have a CO. Ideally want my grant before I holiday to Oz next Thursday but I think that's definitely not happening.

Will be brilliant to meet when we all touchdown though, have some expat support.

Laurence

Thanks @jacquiandpaul I didn't forget you but was adding people who have visa's and might not see the link

I hope you hear soon Laurence, I'm sure you'll get it in plenty of time to go Sept/Oct.

Can I ask what Uhtred stands for?

Thanks @jacquiandpaul I didn't forget you but was adding people who have visa's and might not see the link

I hope you hear soon Laurence, I'm sure you'll get it in plenty of time to go Sept/Oct.

Ahhh okay no worries.

Hopefully we will get our grant soon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Cara thank you for setting this up, such a good idea! And congrats on your grant. It's just the best feeling.

My 309 visa was granted in mid December. I'm British and my husband is Aussie. We have lived together here in London for 2 years, but he's desperate to get home (I have learned you can't keep a Queenslander out of the sun for long) and I love Australia and am keen for a new adventure.

We are moving at the end of March and are looking to move to the Redlands, near the water. We'll stay with family while we figure things out.

We're beyond excited! But of course a bit apprehensive too. We're currently job hunting (I work in PR and my husband in finance/accountancy) and wading through the move admin, I will share any great tips as and when I have them but we're just figuring things out at the moment!

I would love to hear anybody else's situation / experience so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Cara thank you for setting this up, such a good idea! And congrats on your grant. It's just the best feeling.

My 309 visa was granted in mid December. I'm British and my husband is Aussie. We have lived together here in London for 2 years, but he's desperate to get home (I have learned you can't keep a Queenslander out of the sun for long) and I love Australia and am keen for a new adventure.

We are moving at the end of March and are looking to move to the Redlands, near the water. We'll stay with family while we figure things out.

We're beyond excited! But of course a bit apprehensive too. We're currently job hunting (I work in PR and my husband in finance/accountancy) and wading through the move admin, I will share any great tips as and when I have them but we're just figuring things out at the moment!

I would love to hear anybody else's situation / experience so far.

I know, it's an amazing feeling! :jiggy:It took a while to sink in - not sure it totally has! But I do feel a weight has been lifted.

Like you say now it's on to figuring out the next steps and a new load of things to worry about lol although obviously much much better being able to move forward with it all.

My brother in laws parents live in the Redlands so perhaps we can arrange a meet up. I'm sure it's lovely up there. We want to be by the sea ideally but prefer quieter so we like either south Gold Coast or maybe North of it like you. We'll see where we get work.

Did you amend your cv's to suit the Aus job market or keep them the same? We need to start looking into all this soon.

I know, it's an amazing feeling! :jiggy:It took a while to sink in - not sure it totally has! But I do feel a weight has been lifted.

Like you say now it's on to figuring out the next steps and a new load of things to worry about lol although obviously much much better being able to move forward with it all.

My brother in laws parents live in the Redlands so perhaps we can arrange a meet up. I'm sure it's lovely up there. We want to be by the sea ideally but prefer quieter so we like either south Gold Coast or maybe North of it like you. We'll see where we get work.

Did you amend your cv's to suit the Aus job market or keep them the same? We need to start looking into all this soon.

Yes definitely, would be lovely to meet up in the Redlands so let's keep in touch!

I have one basic CV which I'm amending very slightly to each job if I think it needs it, but not too much. I also just added a sentence in my CV saying when I'm moving to Australia and the type of work I'm looking for, just to make it clear that I'm already moving and not just speculatively job hunting from London! I will register with a recruiter soon too, so I'm sure they'll give me some advice around this, which I'll share with you!

Yes definitely, would be lovely to meet up in the Redlands so let's keep in touch!

I have one basic CV which I'm amending very slightly to each job if I think it needs it, but not too much. I also just added a sentence in my CV saying when I'm moving to Australia and the type of work I'm looking for, just to make it clear that I'm already moving and not just speculatively job hunting from London! I will register with a recruiter soon too, so I'm sure they'll give me some advice around this, which I'll share with you!

Great, thank you :smile:

I think my hands will be tied anyway as my police clearance expires early September. Only reason I'm desperate to activate this coming holiday really.

Uhtred is just the name of a character in a book. Couldn't think of something to use at the time and just went with that haha.

On CV's, I've been reading a few books on emigrating and the common tip seems to be to make them more specific to the role you are applying for and have more in depth details in it. Slightly different to our generic UK format so to speak. I've started Aussiefying mine so to speak, will have to get it out there soon no doubt.

As for locations, if we don't live in the city then it'll be up the coast. Caloundra, Maloolaba and Noosa are lovely areas. Not a huge fan of surfers though, a bit too touristy for me....says the tourist right haha.

I think my hands will be tied anyway as my police clearance expires early September. Only reason I'm desperate to activate this coming holiday really.

Uhtred is just the name of a character in a book. Couldn't think of something to use at the time and just went with that haha.

On CV's, I've been reading a few books on emigrating and the common tip seems to be to make them more specific to the role you are applying for and have more in depth details in it. Slightly different to our generic UK format so to speak. I've started Aussiefying mine so to speak, will have to get it out there soon no doubt.

As for locations, if we don't live in the city then it'll be up the coast. Caloundra, Maloolaba and Noosa are lovely areas. Not a huge fan of surfers though, a bit too touristy for me....says the tourist right haha.

Yes I can see why you'd like to be able to activate it on the holiday but I'm sure it'll all work out for you, plenty of time to get the visa and arrange to go before September.

Good tip about the cv's. We haven't been North up the coast yet as didn't have time so can't wait to do more exploring when we get there!

Ah good idea on the name - a lot more original than mine lol

Yes I can see why you'd like to be able to activate it on the holiday but I'm sure it'll all work out for you, plenty of time to get the visa and arrange to go before September.

Good tip about the cv's. We haven't been North up the coast yet as didn't have time so can't wait to do more exploring when we get there!

Ah good idea on the name - a lot more original than mine lol

A few good books to look at if you're interested are -

Didgeridoos & Didgeridonts

Jump Down Under

Living and Working in Australia

The first of the above is pretty good, loads of tips and hints at what to do and not do when there. The second is more a collection of stories from those who have already moved whilst the third is a real in depth look at different areas and sectors etc.

Thanks for this Cara. We move to QLD (Airlie Beach) in July. I'll keep you updated with our progress. We are going to sell everything and start from scratch!! Pretty scary but at least we can get on now and plan. We are having a family get together at the weekend to celebrate my husband's visa grant (and birthday)!

Job wise- my husband is a chef (lots and lots of jobs for him-everywhere). I'm a teacher (secondary). I'm not convinced I'll find work but willing to change and do something else, if necessary. Currently, I'm getting all my paperwork together to register as a teacher in Oz. It's like uploading to immi all over again!! Help.

Thanks for this Cara. We move to QLD (Airlie Beach) in July. I'll keep you updated with our progress. We are going to sell everything and start from scratch!! Pretty scary but at least we can get on now and plan. We are having a family get together at the weekend to celebrate my husband's visa grant (and birthday)!

Job wise- my husband is a chef (lots and lots of jobs for him-everywhere). I'm a teacher (secondary). I'm not convinced I'll find work but willing to change and do something else, if necessary. Currently, I'm getting all my paperwork together to register as a teacher in Oz. It's like uploading to immi all over again!! Help.

To be fair Kate I watch a lot of Wanted Down Under and a majority of the time teachers do find work. Usually you have to start by being a cover in a schools to build up your profile before getting a permanent role. Have you tried contacting schools in the area to sound them out? You might find you have to travel out of Airlie to find work. Suppose you do have Townsville a few hours away worst case scenario.

Just Googled Airlie beach and it's high up, hopefully we can arrange some sort of meet up at some point. We are also starting pretty much from scratch, just taking our new bed, bedside tables & belongings, buying the rest when we get there! I'm a Foot Health Professional here and they don't recognise my qualification over there so I'm going to have to choose a different career as I don't want to start studying again from scratch to be a podiatrist. I've worked in various sales type positions before so I think I'll go into that again to start with and see what happens....

Thanks for the book advice @Uhtred, if I can find time to read them!

Well we just sale agreed our house full asking price yesterday - first day on the market!!! I think things are meant to be!! So exciting, so much to do....... :jiggy:

Just Googled Airlie beach and it's high up, hopefully we can arrange some sort of meet up at some point. We are also starting pretty much from scratch, just taking our new bed, bedside tables & belongings, buying the rest when we get there! I'm a Foot Health Professional here and they don't recognise my qualification over there so I'm going to have to choose a different career as I don't want to start studying again from scratch to be a podiatrist. I've worked in various sales type positions before so I think I'll go into that again to start with and see what happens....

Thanks for the book advice @Uhtred, if I can find time to read them!

Well we just sale agreed our house full asking price yesterday - first day on the market!!! I think things are meant to be!! So exciting, so much to do....... :jiggy:

That's amazing news. Well done. Good luck with the news.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Jamie here. Visa was granted in December and we are moving over in Oct/Nov time. Moving to Brisbane, QLD. Unsure where yet but Mrs J is a Brissie girl so knows all the suburbs and such. Will initially spend a bit of time living with her folks I think whilst we get set up.

Would definitely be up for a meet up as I'm sure we are all very apprehensive about the move! Not thought about work too much yet though I have had a little browse on the typical sites e.g. Seek for what's out there.

I currently work in Higher Education in the Careers Team (so the chat in here about CVs has sure pricked my ears up!) so may look at places like UQ or QUT for roles.

Going to Brisbane for a holiday in April as it is a friend's wedding and will give me a chance to activate my visa as well, may even go to a few open houses whilst there!

Hi all,

Jamie here. Visa was granted in December and we are moving over in Oct/Nov time. Moving to Brisbane, QLD. Unsure where yet but Mrs J is a Brissie girl so knows all the suburbs and such. Will initially spend a bit of time living with her folks I think whilst we get set up.

Would definitely be up for a meet up as I'm sure we are all very apprehensive about the move! Not thought about work too much yet though I have had a little browse on the typical sites e.g. Seek for what's out there.

I currently work in Higher Education in the Careers Team (so the chat in here about CVs has sure pricked my ears up!) so may look at places like UQ or QUT for roles.

Going to Brisbane for a holiday in April as it is a friend's wedding and will give me a chance to activate my visa as well, may even go to a few open houses whilst there!

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for joining us, look forward to chatting over the coming months.

Cara

@carahunter congratulations on the house sale, that is incredible! Whereabouts do you live?

@JRJones an open house is such a good idea, we did that on our last holiday to Oz and it got us so excited about the move. Makes it feel very real!

Thanks Nikki, we are chuffed to bits! We live in Rustington which is a small town on the South East Coast in West Sussex. I assume you're from London?? Whereabouts?

Yes what a good idea about the open house, we'll have to do that too when we get there!

Thanks Nikki, we are chuffed to bits! We live in Rustington which is a small town on the South East Coast in West Sussex. I assume you're from London?? Whereabouts?

Yes what a good idea about the open house, we'll have to do that too when we get there!

Right next door to Littlehampton aren't you? That fair still open down there along the front?