489 Regional Skilled Visa NT

Tigersfan2017

Hi all,

First post so go easy!

My family and I have been offered a 489 Regional Skilled Visa through the Northern Territory, I am the main applicant as a Safety Officer and we initially wanted to secure a 190 visa but to no avail due to us not having any family links or a firm job offer within NT.

My question is that there is a possible job opportunity arisen within Adelaide, South Australia which as I understand it is recognised as one of the Regional areas and even with the restrictions imposed on the 489 visa, the whole of South Australia is recognised as regional.

I am struggling to get any sort of response back from NT employers from jobs I have applied for which could be due to me applying from overseas but it has made us question how difficult it would be to find work within NT.

I have spoken briefly about this with the migration agent and the moral against legal obligation phrase was used which is something that I have heard mentioned more than once on this forum!

We intend to move next year and work and live regionally for the required period in order to secure permanent residency, my question is are we "legally" entitled to move to another regional state in order to fulfil this obligation or would we have to do it within NT. The obvious argument on our side is that we would still be living within a regional area if we moved to South Australia.

Just to add we went to an Expo this weekend and posed the question to another migration agent who was at the seminar, they were reluctant to offer any advice without taking us on as a client but basically said it was a grey area.

Has anyone out there being in this same situation or able to provide a thorough explanation so we know exactly where we stand, we aren't trying to jump ship intentionally but we would obviously consider South Australia it if it was something that could be done without any legal ramifications.

Many thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

I know that for the state sponsored visa there is no legal obligation to stay within that state. In regards to rural areas I am not sure if it is different if you move to another rural area. I know there was a case a while back where a family nearly got deported because they didn't move rural and lived near the city.

Hopefully someone qualified can come and help soon.

Hi Pom Queen,

Yes that was my question, I understand that if you lived outside of the recognised regional area then you would be at risk of deportation quite rightly. As I'd been approached from another regional area regarding possible employment I wondered whether you are restricted to live within the state / territory providing the nomination or any other regional area across Aus. Anyway sounds like I've opened a can of worms by posing the question so I will take the advice and move on! Many thanks.