Citizenship residence requirement - do gaps count? Pseudo-professional advice required.

miki000

Hi all,

I am currently a permanent resident in SA, close to the end of my second year as PR. Before I gained the PR I had been on a student visa for 3 months and before that, on another student visa for 20 months, but with a 2 months gap in between, during which, I went back to my home country.

I know the residence requirement for citizenship: 4 years since first entry, 2 years as PR, no more than 12 months out of OZ during the 4 years period and no more than 90 days in the last year.

I will meet all these requirements soon, as I got my first student visa 4 years ago, I have lived in Australia for the last four years, have been out of the country for 4 months in total and only 20 days during last year. However, between my first and second student visa, I have a 2 months gap where I had no valid visa and was out of the country. Does that affect the calculation? I couldn't find the answer on the department's website. Can any "expert" shed some light?

regards,

Miquel

Hi all,

I am currently a permanent resident in SA, close to the end of my second year as PR. Before I gained the PR I had been on a student visa for 3 months and before that, on another student visa for 20 months, but with a 2 months gap in between, during which, I went back to my home country.

I know the residence requirement for citizenship: 4 years since first entry, 2 years as PR, no more than 12 months out of OZ during the 4 years period and no more than 90 days in the last year.

I will meet all these requirements soon, as I got my first student visa 4 years ago, I have lived in Australia for the last four years, have been out of the country for 4 months in total and only 20 days during last year. However, between my first and second student visa, I have a 2 months gap where I had no valid visa and was out of the country. Does that affect the calculation? I couldn't find the answer on the department's website. Can any "expert" shed some light?

regards,

Miquel

There is a "wizard" on the citizenship website - put all your dates in to that and it should tell you whether you are eligible or not.

Hi all,

regards,

Miquel

It's ONE year as PR out of 4 total. As far as I know this won't matter, because you were allowed to be out of the country that much, but the best thing you can do is to call them. The number ending in 881, the citizenship one - very different from the visa one. :) They answer and they are nice and knowledgeable.

It's ONE year as PR out of 4 total. As far as I know this won't matter, because you were allowed to be out of the country that much, but the best thing you can do is to call them. The number ending in 881, the citizenship one - very different from the visa one. :) They answer and they are nice and knowledgeable.

Thanks, will try to ring that number. It's good to know it's different from the VISA one.

Miquel